Enpass Discussion Forum

'CMD /' shortcut no longer works on the Mac with the new Enpass update

10 hours ago, RackDaddy said:

That meme does not apply here.  Saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature" is when software developers UNINTENTIONALLY create a error in the software, and try to pass it off as a new feature.

My point about that phrase was that saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature" sincerely indicates that a) the developers aren't understanding the problem, b) the developers aren't taking users' concerns seriously, and c) the developers are apparently unaware of the history of that phrase and how dismissive it reads.

But the bigger problem remains that the developers didn't bother to explain this change at all. They apparently just expected users to discover their keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore, and then expected users to find their way to the shortcut settings, then set up their own new shortcuts. (Perhaps an easy matter for developers and techies, but not for the average Joe Websurfer.)

It would have been a simple matter — and 1000% more user-friendly — to include a sentence on the "Enpass browser extension has been updated" tab that reads, "To make Enpass more compatible with the way most browsers handle keyboard shortcuts, users need to create their own new keyboard shortcuts for displaying Enpass and autofilling account information for this updated Enpass extension. Click here to create your Enpass shortcuts." With the "click" sentence linking to the browser's settings/shortcuts page.

The fact that Enpass did not do this has led to all this confusion, and the assumption by users that this "feature" is a bug. How Enpass couldn't not have seen this coming is hard to imagine. What did they think would happen when, without explanation, an update broke a common keyboard shortcut?

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus
  • Like 2

Are you kidding me? You're trying to defend developers changing the PRIMARY WAY people trigger their application every day, multiple times per day, with zero notice and then not allowing people to set the actual setting back to our preferred method of triggering the application again with zero notice and then responding to user's justifiable anger with "it's a new feature, and not a bug"? And that's ok?!?! You're really trying to defend that? Are you 5?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeetdoh said:

Are you kidding me? You're trying to defend developers changing the PRIMARY WAY people trigger their application every day, multiple times per day, with zero notice and then not allowing people to set the actual setting back to our preferred method of triggering the application again with zero notice and then responding to user's justifiable anger with "it's a new feature, and not a bug"? And that's ok?!?! You're really trying to defend that? Are you 5?

In no way did I defend the change. I pointed out it wasn't a bug. I said I understood why they made the change (which is not defending the decision, just acknowledging the reason they did it), and I very much criticized their handling of the rollout (suggesting how it could have been handled better), and I criticized their tone-deaf handling of the backlash (in the very next post after your criticism of the same). What I didn't do was make any personal attacks by saying things like "I couldn't possibly give less of a shit," and "wacko leftist crap," and "are you 5?" — none of which have anything to address the actual problem at hand.

For the sake everyone else here — and the actual subject of this thread — I'm done with this conversation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

For the sake everyone else here — and the actual subject of this thread — I'm done with this conversation.

I think the "wacko leftist crap" was directed at me because I used the term "woke".  (Apparently my political affiliation and my entire personal values in which I lead me life can be determined on a single word.) 

Anyways, I don't disagree with your comments.  I actually found this thread because, I too, was confused by the change.  I even agree with your (very articulate) explanations as to why the user base may be inconvenienced by having to train themselves a new keyboard command.  My point was that I simply don't think it's worth getting raged up about (see #Jeetdoh's comments in this entire thread), as if this was a big conspiracy to undermine Enpass users.  Life is too short, my friends.

• Like 3

I think everyone claiming that the change wasn't publicized is being extremely sensational.  I get the "years of [broken] muscle memory", but be honest..  you wouldn't have liked the change even if it had been clearly announced six months ago.  You're (understandably) frustrated, but also trying to heap on unnecessary criticism to make a point of how evil Enpass is.

Enpass is not the first, nor will be the last (software) company to make a change individuals don't like.  Good companies make changes for the greater good of the entire customer base. 

• Like 2

CTRL + # was my autofill shortcut for years. Not the new extension tells me it's an invalid shortcut. The shortcut still opens the extension even if not set anywhere. I never need to open the extension. I just need the autofill shortcut to be not blocked and CTRL + # hardcoded to something that I would not consider that useful at all.

• Like 1

I'm using Firefox on Windows.

Sort of related is that I'm finding is that the recommended shortcut, Ctrl-Shift-Period actually seems to activate Multi Account Containers, whose shortcut is set to Ctrl-Period (that must be the default, because I've never used shortcuts with this or changed them).

I'm not sure if this is a bug in Firefox or Multi Account Containers. (EDIT: seems to be a known issue with Multi Account Containers https://github.com/mozilla/multi-account-containers/issues/1963)

Firefox won't let us set our shortcut to "Ctrl-/" though?   Is this a browser limitation?

Edited by Andrew Myers
Add link to Multi Account Containers issue

Using "Ctrl + Shift + ." shortcut might be related to Multi Account Containers that you linked to.

Not being able to set autofill shortcut to be "Ctrl + /", it's Enpass, not Firefox.

What bothers me with this behaviour is that Enpass has made it so that Firefox (or any other browser) default keyboard shortcuts are not permitted anymore to be used as a Enpass keyboard shortcut and these settings are hardcoded to new version of Enpass Extension.

What Enpass should do instead, is to check system keyboard bingings in Firefox (and other browsers) since in macOS at least you can alter every possible keyboard shortcut to be something else. In my case, I have defined Firefox default "⌘ + e" shortcut action to have other shortcut in order to free that key combination "⌘ + e" to be used as a Enpass shortcut for autofill in Firefox. Safari has no use for "⌘ + e" shortcut by default so it still works in there but not in Firefox anymore and would appreciate universal solution across these two browsers. As others have stated, I've also developed muscle memory to fill in password with my chosen keyboard shortcut after years of usage and find it disturbingly worrying that these kind of changes to basic behaviour of autofill are dropped without A SINGLE NOTICE to users.

Not to mention the fact that Enpass's life long default key combination "⌘ + /" is not working anymore. Hilarious.

New version of Enpass Extension cannot use Firefox default key combinations as a shortcut, even though it has no functionality binded in to it whatsoever at least in my case.

enpass-autofill-shortcut-not-working.jpg.e013e64b2c759850336abc28abd8358b.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:16 AM, MerchAndDice said:

Using "Ctrl + Shift + ." shortcut might be related to Multi Account Containers that you linked to.

Not being able to set autofill shortcut to be "Ctrl + /", it's Enpass, not Firefox.

What bothers me with this behaviour is that Enpass has made it so that Firefox (or any other browser) default keyboard shortcuts are not permitted anymore to be used as a Enpass keyboard shortcut and these settings are hardcoded to new version of Enpass Extension.

What Enpass should do instead, is to check system keyboard bingings in Firefox (and other browsers) since in macOS at least you can alter every possible keyboard shortcut to be something else. In my case, I have defined Firefox default "⌘ + e" shortcut action to have other shortcut in order to free that key combination "⌘ + e" to be used as a Enpass shortcut for autofill in Firefox. Safari has no use for "⌘ + e" shortcut by default so it still works in there but not in Firefox anymore and would appreciate universal solution across these two browsers. As others have stated, I've also developed muscle memory to fill in password with my chosen keyboard shortcut after years of usage and find it disturbingly worrying that these kind of changes to basic behaviour of autofill are dropped without A SINGLE NOTICE to users.

Not to mention the fact that Enpass's life long default key combination "⌘ + /" is not working anymore. Hilarious.

New version of Enpass Extension cannot use Firefox default key combinations as a shortcut, even though it has no functionality binded in to it whatsoever at least in my case.

enpass-autofill-shortcut-not-working.jpg.e013e64b2c759850336abc28abd8358b.jpg

The only solution to their genius "feature" is to uninstall the new extension and install the previous version while blocking updates. Truly brilliant.

• Like 1

I'm on Windows and I also have the problem that the shortcut CTRL-< doesn't work anymore, and when I try to configure it again, the '<' key is not even registered. I'm used to that keyboard shortcut, how can I set it up like that again?

Edited by vool

Not only can't we use the usual shortcut (or any other with a symbol, apparently), I set it to Ctrl + Q in Vivaldi and it's not working either.

Imagine if Microsoft decided to change the Ctrl + Alt + Delete command without telling anyone. Ctrl + / for Enpass was so automatic and practical that even a working alternative would be annoying.

• Like 2

I am trying to setup the Enpass extention 6.7.4 with the latest Vivaldi 5.0 on macOS.
I would like to use cmd+. to autofill / show enpass. Also I cannot set the shortcut to activate the extension to cmd+shift+;

image.png.60b2745e08567078011ed2c031754eaf.png

Unfortunately nothing happens when pressing the shortcut. Also other shortcut does not work.
Is this a general issue of the extension or is there a workaround?

With Safari the configured shortcuts works as expected:

image.png.8a8c5598e7d5ad92484be4133893f877.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

anyone found a solution for? cmd+\ was part of the reason I chose Enpass over other password managers.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:38 AM, jeetdoh said:

What a completely tone deaf response to user frustration. This kind of response to legitimate user concerns is why I switched from 1Password in the first place.

Looks like it's time to switch to another app again.

which password manager did you switch to?

• Like 1

I gave up myself, so many problems since the new extension came out, addresses & credit cards not filling in etc which made things worse. 

Sad to say after many years with Enpass I've moved myself and the family over to Bitwarden. At least that works nicely with Brave (Chromium variant) browser.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dbrewood said:

I've moved myself and the family over to Bitwarden

Used Bitwarden before I moved to 1Password. I need templates which are there in 1Password and in Enpass. Also, Bitwarden didn't detect new entries most of the time. So I had to manually add them. It was a pain...

I wanted to convince my family to move to Bitwarden some month ago when LastPass cut off the free version. But also no new entries were detected from Bitwarden when I tried to show the functionality to my family. That's why they switched into the paid plan from LastPass. Bitwarden is a good password manager for sure, but for me, it did not work as I required it to work.

At the end I switched from 1Password to Enpass and I like the new infield popup. And I love the possibility to sync my vault via WLAN or in my own cloud. That's why I'm here. Hopefully the next Enpass update will fix some issues. I'm looking forward to that update. :)

I hoping do, but I think not, looks like they did little research on what we wanted before making the changes that drove me away.

For us Bitwarden is working well, no issues here in detecting new entries. The 'beta' autofill works great, so very happy with the change.

Sounds good, @dbrewood! :)

Some months ago I was invited to participate in a test and a survey from Bitwarden introducing the new templates which should come. I liked these templates, and it was all I was hoping for... But this was months ago, and they didn't find their way into the release version. From time to time I log in to the Bitwarden vault to see if templates are there. Also, I'm paying the yearly fee to support Bitwarden. So I did not give up on Bitwarden. ;)

I'm using TOTP-codes in some of my entries. For this feature you have to pay, so I did it. And I paid, although I was using 1Password and now Enpass... :D 

I store all of my software licenses, e-mail configurations and server logins, bank accounts and bank cards in my vault. In 1Password and Enpass this is possible. There are a lot of templates - much more than I need. But I don't want to store the things into plain secure notes, like many developers of password managers wanted me to do that. ;)

Edited by DenalB