Enpass Discussion Forum

'CMD /' shortcut no longer works on the Mac with the new Enpass update

On 2/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, dbrewood said:

I gave up myself, so many problems since the new extension came out, addresses & credit cards not filling in etc which made things worse. 

Sad to say after many years with Enpass I've moved myself and the family over to Bitwarden. At least that works nicely with Brave (Chromium variant) browser.

The problem with Bitwarden is that it stores the data in the cloud which I do not feel is safe. Also the GUI is ugly. Enpass imported 1password data much smoother. Also it doesn't have the most important shortcut for me : cmd+\ (ctrl+\) .

But if I find Enpass with continued trouble and problems, I guess I have to move to Bitwarden finally.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, DenalB said:

Sounds good, @dbrewood! :)

Also, I'm paying the yearly fee to support Bitwarden. So I did not give up on Bitwarden. ;)

you are a good man

On 2/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, dbrewood said:

I use KeePassXC a Mac variant of KeePass (PC). It works very well for me, hosted on the Mac (iCloud) with multi-cloud and NAS backups.

KeePassXC is one ugly GUI and complicated to use.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flyingbirds said:

But if I find Enpass with continued trouble and problems, I guess I have to move to Bitwarden finally.

I keep thinking I might try other password managers too, but then I look at all the comparing I did before settling on Enpass in the first place, and it's the only such app that has the combination of features I need (among them: multiple, sharable vaults stored where *I* choose; custom templates & hugely customizable within each Item/entry). I wish Enpass were a bigger player (hardly ever gets mentioned in articles comparing password software), so they would have more money for better development. I know they're a small team, and I know they work hard, but yeah, Enpass is always a little frustrating, and only becoming more so with non-committal "I have forwarded this to the concerned team for further investigation" replies to bug reports. (They used to be more engaged.)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I keep thinking I might try other password managers too, but then I look at all the comparing I did before settling on Enpass in the first place, and it's the only such app that has the combination of features I need (among them: multiple, sharable vaults stored where *I* choose; custom templates & hugely customizable within each Item/entry).

Same with me! :)

2 hours ago, DenalB said:

Same with me! :)

This is a pattern with me. My choice of podcast app is the only one with exactly the combination of features I want — but it's UI is cluttered and confusing. A couple times a year, I flirt with other apps, then go back. My desktop email app has several hard-to-find (or even exclusive) features I've come to rely on, and is 90% the best mail app I've ever used — and 10% train wreck (I can think of one bug that's at least 12 years old), and its developers are a bunch of jerks who are so afraid of feedback the only way to contact them is through at $8/incident ticketing system. I tried 30+ weather apps before finding one that does what I want. I'm still looking for the perfect note-taking app (I've tried 40+), but all of them are missing at least one feature I consider vital (e.g., has tags, but not #inline/nesting/tags#), so I'm using 4 of them for different things. I could go on...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I keep thinking I might try other password managers too, but then I look at all the comparing I did before settling on Enpass in the first place, and it's the only such app that has the combination of features I need (among them: multiple, sharable vaults stored where *I* choose; custom templates & hugely customizable within each Item/entry). I wish Enpass were a bigger player (hardly ever gets mentioned in articles comparing password software), so they would have more money for better development. I know they're a small team, and I know they work hard, but yeah, Enpass is always a little frustrating, and only becoming more so with non-committal "I have forwarded this to the concerned team for further investigation" replies to bug reports. (They used to be more engaged.)

I did much research and found that :-

Enpass is the only app that sells a license, multiplatform, nice GUI, and lets you store you vault where you want with WiFi sync.

This is Enpass wining card here. The app is 70-80% there it only needs some bug fixes, some ironing out, and some polish. I guess the best thing we can do for Enpass is to advertise it and tell our friends about it. They can do some marketing too. Unfortunately , password managers are kind of like email where if you pick one you just end up sticking with it forever.

There is also Codebook which I do not feel the developers behind it are serious or dedicated to it and Stickypassword which has a $200 lifetime purchase (albeit reasonable if it means 30+ years of updates) and even more obscure than Enpass but their software might be very good I have no idea, they claim they have been around since 2001.

I think we can all agree we need more Enpass user base so maybe they can do some marketing and be the anti-1password but first impressions are important and bring back that cmd+\ that everyone loves!

Edited by flyingbirds
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

This is a pattern with me. My choice of podcast app is the only one with exactly the combination of features I want — but it's UI is cluttered and confusing. A couple times a year, I flirt with other apps, then go back. My desktop email app has several hard-to-find (or even exclusive) features I've come to rely on, and is 90% the best mail app I've ever used — and 10% train wreck (I can think of one bug that's at least 12 years old), and its developers are a bunch of jerks who are so afraid of feedback the only way to contact them is through at $8/incident ticketing system. I tried 30+ weather apps before finding one that does what I want. I'm still looking for the perfect note-taking app (I've tried 40+), but all of them are missing at least one feature I consider vital (e.g., has tags, but not #inline/nesting/tags#), so I'm using 4 of them for different things. I could go on...

i am interested to know which email app is that and which podcast app?

I think you already tried those notes apps but i heard about Obsidian and Bear. Maybe check the alternativeto.net website

11 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

Same with me for email app on iOS. I tried almost every mail app and if I think I found my perfect piece of software I find another one. And the same I did (or do) with password managers. I think I tried nearly all of them. :)

46 minutes ago, flyingbirds said:

Stickypassword which has a $200 lifetime purchase (albeit reasonable if it means 30+ years of updates)

I bought a lifetime license for $30. That's a fair price, I think. ;)

Edited by DenalB
Typo