Enpass Discussion Forum

Master Password Face ID iphone

PeterC

Today when I opened Enpass it didn't recognize my face because I was wearing a mask. Now it won't log in without my master password. I've been using Face ID on my iPhone for so long I can't remember my master password.

I restarted Enpass and I restarted my phone but Enpass no longer will login with Face ID it keeps asking for my master password. 

How could Enpass allow me to login all this time with Face ID and with one failed face recognition lock me out?

I know I should have written down my master password but for the love of god how do you get it to login in one time with my Face ID!

Edited by PeterC

Hello @PeterC,

Welcome to the Enpass Forum.

Apart from Face-ID/Touch-ID, a master password is the only way to access Enpass. If you have forgotten your master password then there are no other ways to access Enpass. Let us know if you can still access Enpass on a different device via Face ID/Touch ID, we can help you recover your data. In order to reset Enpass, visit FAQ.

I have face ID enabled on my iPhone and have used it to login. Why isn't allowing me to login using my face? Can't you do something to reset it to allow me to login with my face? I'd be ok if I have to wait 12 hrs. But why won't it use face ID. I know most of my master password but there are some numbers and symbols I added at the end that I'm getting wrong.

FaceID is about security, as is Enpass. Just like if you reboot your iPhone, FaceID won't work until after you log in for the first time, if FaceID has been disabled, you have no choice but to manually enter your password on that device.

If you don't have Enpass set up on another device you can still access then the only thing you can do is hope you can figure out/find the password. If you've recently exported your passwords from Enpass, you can create a new vault that you DO know the password to and import the wallet file into the new vault.

There's no secret back door into your data if you forget your password, the data in that vault is basically irretrievable. 

Another possible way to repopulate a new vault if you have a relatively modern Mac and if you use iCloud Keychain/Safari. It is possible to export your saved logins from Safari in modern versions of macOS and Safari. Open Safari, Select Preferences... from the Safari menu, then select the Passwords tab in the window. Authenticate and then at the bottom of the sidebar that shows the list of your logins look for the three dots in a circle button. Click it for a drop-down and select Export Passwords... and then you can choose where to save an unencrypted version of all of your logins and passwords in a .csv file that Enpass can import. Don't hang onto the .csv file after the import is successful, as it contains all of your logins for all of your accounts unencrypted. Note that most other password managers also allow for exporting data in a way that Enpass can read.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I have a  m1 mac mini with Enpass installed but that doesn't have Face ID. I've even backup Enpass but it won't let me import the backup without my master password.

I'm saying I have Face ID enabled for Enpass it makes no sense to lock me out from using it completely because I wore a mask one time. I'm simply asking them to reset the Face ID failed attempt. I'm not asking for them to recover my master password. I set up Face ID for this very reason so I wouldn't have to enter in a long Master password every time. Every application I ever used Face ID will always work once it is set up. There is now way to access my phone and Enpass without my face. I'm just asking it to be returned to state it was where it will accept my face as a login.

I was able to recover some of my passwords from my desktop computer browser but I have much more saved in Enpass.

Edited by PeterC

That’s not something they can do, Peter. FaceID and TouchID isn’t something they can control at will like that just for you, and even if Apple allowed it, it wouldn’t be secure. 

As you can see here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/localauthentication/logging_a_user_into_your_app_with_face_id_or_touch_id

Apple is clear that you cannot count on FaceID as the only method of authentication and you have to fall back on a standard method if failures happen. No matter what type of authentication you use, you cannot forget the password associated with the vault.

I’m really sorry, but you’re going to have to try to remember your password or restore from an unencrypted export. Is there any chance you told a family member what your password is? Even if they don’t remember the whole thing, maybe they can help jog your memory. 

In the future, if you might forget your vault password, write it down and put it somewhere safe where no one will steal it, for example a lockable fire box. 

I’m glad you were able to recover some of your passwords. I hope you’re able to get the rest. I once lost the password to an encrypted backup I made and I lost several important files, so I know how frustrating that can be. At least in your case you can probably reset the individual service passwords to regain login info for them. 

• Like 1

It's my fault. I should have written it down. I didn't realize how Face ID was being implemented by Enpass and that after a failed attempt it would require the root password. Going forward I will maintain a paper copy of my passwords. Thanks for your help.

Try iOS settings and entering the Face ID & Passcode section then try in Enpass again. I have had that allow Face ID work in other apps again after messing up before in other apps after correctly going into that. So maybe that will work.

Just another Enpass user so your mileage may vary with above tip.

Carroll D.

I made some progress today. I discovered that I have backups from September on my Mac Mini that use my old Master password. I was able to restore it on my Mac but my iPhone will not restore this backup. Says it's an older version but I don't think this is the case.

Can you help me restore this backup to my iPhone?

9 minutes ago, PeterC said:

I made some progress today. I discovered that I have backups from September on my Mac Mini that use my old Master password. I was able to restore it on my Mac but my iPhone will not restore this backup. Says it's an older version but I don't think this is the case.

Can you help me restore this backup to my iPhone?

As mentioned before I am just a user but looks like you could try to save a new backup from the successful one you imported as a totally new backup file then try the new one? Just an idea though.

1 hour ago, Carroll D said:

Try iOS settings and entering the Face ID & Passcode section then try in Enpass again. I have had that allow Face ID work in other apps again after messing up before in other apps after correctly going into that. So maybe that will work.

Just another Enpass user so your mileage may vary with above tip.

Carroll D.

From reading the user manual and white paper. The master password is deleted from the apple keychain if Face ID fails to identify you few times. I think there should be a warning that you have x amount of tries left before Face ID will be disabled. The whitepaper says 5 failed attempts, the manual says 3...

https://www.enpass.io/docs/security-whitepaper-enpass/quick_unlock.html

"Also, if five consecutive attempts to quick unlock are unsuccessful, Enpass erases the master password from the iOS keychain and prompts to enter master password to unlock Enpass. On next successful attempt, it is saved again in the iOS keychain. When you disable Quick Unlock from Enpass settings, Enpass erases the master password from the iOS keychain."

Edited by PeterC

Peter, try this if you’ve given up on accessing the original vault:

Unlink your old vault from iCloud or where ever you sync it and move the vault from iCloud (or whatever)  

Create a new vault, restore the backup to that new vault, set up iCloud synching (or something similar), then delete Enpass from your phone. Reinstall it, register it with your email account and then restore the new vault from where ever you sync it. 

Unfortunately, on iOS at least, you cannot sync a new vault without knowing the password to the existing one. That’s why you need to remove and reinstall the app so you can get in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi PeterC,

I'm using an iPad Pro and my facial recognition also suddenly stopped working at version 15.3. I spoke to several helpful support staff who had me try a reset to factory settings but do far nothing has helped. It seems to be a software issue that has not yet been solved in the 15.4 version (although Apple claims Face ID gets more accurate result mentioned here). Check your phone while taking photos in portrait mode. Mine stopped doing that as the same time - apparently numerous users have reported a similar problem, so they may be connected. 

I’ve heard from support that this issue is being flagged for the engineering department/ software gurus to take a look at.

Thanks,

Clem~