Enpass Discussion Forum

Backups Are Saving as Word Document to Mac

Herk2021

When creating a back up to a folder on my Mac, the backup files are defaulting to Word docs.  I recently tried to open a backup as a word doc just to test if any data would be displayed, but now all backups default as word docs.  They do not actually open using word, so no data is displayed.  And as a test I created a new vault using a backup word file and everything imported fine. Does is matter if the backups are defaulting as a word document, or should this be changed to something else for security reasons?

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.36.19 AM.png

That’s not Enpass doing that. It is your Mac. Either you tried to open it in Word at some point and the Mac associated the file type with Word or Word is your default text editor. 

However, this is easy to fix. 

1. In the Finder, select one of these backups and choose Get Info (Command-I or select it from the Finder File menu or right click on the file and select it there). 

2. Find the Open With section of that window and click on the small triangle to show the content if it isn’t shown already. 

3. Under the drop-down you find there select “Other” at the bottom of the list.

4. In the file selection window select “All Applications” from the Enable drop-down. 

5. Select Enpass and then click Add. 
6. Back in the Get info window, click the Change All.. button and Confirm. This will change all backups to be associated with Enpass. 

Edited by Discordant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1