Enpass Discussion Forum

Multiple instances of enpass showing up in the dock on startup

Alex80

Ok so this happens when you update your macos and in mac there are 2 applications folders. 1 is for default mac apps and second applications folder gets created when you update your macos and second applications folder contains user installed apps. Just move all apps from second applications folder (user installed apps) to first applications folder. Before doing that kill all applications to make sure you don't get any error. This is the only possible solution i found for myself.

5 hours ago, Fadi said:

Ok so this happens when you update your macos and in mac there are 2 applications folders. 1 is for default mac apps and second applications folder gets created when you update your macos and second applications folder contains user installed apps. Just move all apps from second applications folder (user installed apps) to first applications folder. Before doing that kill all applications to make sure you don't get any error. This is the only possible solution i found for myself.

I don't have a second Application folder but it happens for me. Although it now happens very rarely since I updated to Ventura. I assume it is some kind of race condition.

• 6 months later...

I confirm I have this issue too.

Running Enpass 6.9.0

MBP M1 Max, Issue started showing after upgrade to Sonoma (currently running 14.1).

This is probably not Sonoma related as users have experienced this issue for more than a year.

Regarding Fadi's suggestion, I have only one Applications Folder.

I see this problem on occasion (often). Multiple app icons in the dock and only one process running (Activity Monitor and "ps aux | grep -i enpass).

Sometimes when I click on the excessive icons in the dock they will disappear, but this is not always the case - which then forces me to quit the app, and then I can click on the excessive icons in the dock to get them removed.

enPass 6.9.1 (1512) (App Store)

M2 Air (MacOS 14.1)

I have had this problem with every OS I used enPass on (Mojave ->)

For me this problem does not only show at startup, but also, after some time, when trying to call Enpass from the browser extension. Multiple instances (or at least icons in the dock) of Enpass show up, and an error shows up in the browser "Impossible to open Enpass".

This second problem has been around for at least 8 months (on Ventura back then).
Contacted support via email with screenshots and config info - they did not care, just told me to reinstall, which had no effect, then they stopped replying.

Rebooting always fixes it, until it happens again.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, caspergsht42 said:

I see this problem on occasion (often). Multiple app icons in the dock and only one process running (Activity Monitor and "ps aux | grep -i enpass).

Sometimes when I click on the excessive icons in the dock they will disappear, but this is not always the case - which then forces me to quit the app, and then I can click on the excessive icons in the dock to get them removed.

enPass 6.9.1 (1512) (App Store)

M2 Air (MacOS 14.1)

I have had this problem with every OS I used enPass on (Mojave ->)

I forgot to mention this happens mostly (if not always) when the browser extension (firefox) tries to connect with the app.

This happens to me on a regular basis, and always when I try to use the safari browser add-on.  It is so frequent that the Enpass browser add-on is largely useless. 

Often (but not always) when I try to use the browser add-on, it opens a new tab that says it is looking for enpass and immediately opens over a dozen Enpass windows in the background.  It all moves very fast but it looks like it is usually somehow tripped up by the password prompt.  When it's done, I'm left with a dock that is full of enpass instances that I cannot kill (see attached).  These instances will not respond to force quit and stay there when I force quit the Enpass application in the activity monitor.  I have to reboot my computer to get rid of them.

The problem seems to happen most frequently when opening enpass triggers a request for a master password (as opposed to a pin) because I've not used it for awhile (and possibly don't have the program open in at least some cases).  The only thing that can reliably avoid the problem is quit and restart both enpass and safari immediately before trying to use Enpass, which is obviously unworkable as a regular practice.

I'm using Enpass 6.9.0 (1466) from the Mac App Store.  I think (but am not sure) this problem existed before I upgraded to Sonoma, but it has certainly gotten much more frequent since that.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 05.52.42.png

Edited by christianchristian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happens to me also very often, mostly after a complete shutdown and reboot of my machine. I was greeted this morning by this:

image.thumb.png.e5f51a224a46e60c97c554f2750b8d67.png

This error has been there since 2022 and all I could read from the Enpass support was "we can't reproduce it". That's not helpful for both sides. :(

I have been getting this issue for years. It has happened on every version of MacOS enpass for at least the last two years. I have always worked around it by closing the icons individually. But this issue is starting to get on my nerves (and thus I am finally coming here to complain)

Some notes if this helps anyone debug:

• M1 with latest MacOS
  • I use Firefox + the EnPass Plugin
  • For me this has only triggered when the Firefox browser tries to open up EnPass
  • Of course this issue does not happen every single time. It happens about once a month and I am not able to reproduce at will.
  • If I look in activity monitor when this happens and I do not see any EnPass processes listed
  • CPU is not spiking and memory is not spiking. It is as if the icon opens and nothing else
  • This issue has been happening for at least two years that I can remember. Probably longer. Yes I keep EnPass updated with the latest version.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 10.48.56 AM.png

Edited by RobCo

Please follow these steps, provide the team, and let me know the feedback.

1. Disable 'Open Automatically at system startup’ option under General Settings of Enpass.
  2. Disable ‘Open at Login’ from Enpass dock icon → Right click → Options → Open at Login.
  3. Do you have Safari browser opened on system startup and is there any pin tabs? if yes, then try disabling temporarily.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last post.
The issue persists. It's happening less often, but it still happens.
About the provided steps:

1. Doesn't make a difference. It just doesn't happen then right after login, but when the enpass app launch is triggered by the browser extension.
  2. Never had this enabled
  3. I don't use Safari. I use Firefox and Chrome. I have pinned tabs in Chrome. Disabling them is not an option,as I need them for my work, and as the issue happens only occasionaly I can't leave them disabled (temporarily) for weeks.

I added another screenshot what happened roughly an hour ago.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-21 um 09.21.10.png

Hey @Alex80, certainly, this experience is understandable, and I completely agree with your point that it's been a longer than expected. I just want to add that we are still unable to reproduce this issue at our end. Nevertheless, we are still trying to conduct root cause analysis on why these are happening and how it can be prevented via fixes or workarounds.

Once this is sorted out, I will surely update you here.