Enpass Discussion Forum

Panel Resizing and Space Wasted on Right Panel

Rooco

Hi @Abhishek Dewan,

Thanks for the reply.

Like you wrote, "adjust the columns to a certain degree", and to be more precise, I can adjust :

• the width of the left column (using right edge) between 150px min to 260px - and I won't say no to 100 more pixels...
  • the width of the middle column (using right edge too) between 240px to 280px - and clearly, here, it's absolutely not enough and annoying.

Sure, I'll be patient :) but do you any ETA for some fixes ?

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, when editing the notes, even more space is unnecessary wasted.

The larger your screen is, the more is left unused while editing, because the textfield has a limited height. Please, let us use this space. It's why we bought the larger monitor ;)

Also, we'd really appreciate rich text options. Now it's plain text only. No headers, no bold, no lists… :(

wasted-space-enpass-editing.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Enpass is not a Word processor, and also probably not the best choice for a note-taking application. Demanding that the app design gets changed for this purpose is a bit silly. All in my opinion of course. When you edit a note-type entry, the edit field does extend to the bottom.

The 'wasted space' clearly has a purpose in the design of the app. People can have a use for longer field names, and that's what get shown in that column. I can understand if the developers want to keep using the same relative column widths for the layout of the notes items and the layout of the login items.

I'll grant that it's not nice to say something will get implemented and then don't do it. Maybe you can forgive the support staff in this forum for that. Anyone working in the software industry learns that it is best to never make promises about dates and features...  

1108206473_enpasslongfieldnames.thumb.png.e4aed076cd376428595cf0b3b50a7658.png

• Like 1

What you said does not make any sense. The wasted space is not at all used for any field or for longer fields. Just look at the screen dumps above. A tool should not eat up your screen with so much wasted space.

And by the way notes is one of the options of the software that does make a lot of sence to keep the save. So notes are an essential part and should work smooth as well.

You are free to make the tool fullscreen if you want but dont tell others they should see the wasted space as features. This is just ridiculoous.

• Like 1

@RVG It's not exactly a luxury to be able to make notes with your passwords. Every password manager I've seen so far has that option, and with good reason. People who need password managers are usually not just keeping a few personal logins. Webdesigners etc usually have hundreds of accounts to keep track off. You often need to add details about them.

• As you can see, the edit field does not extend to the bottom at all. It only goes 12 lines, no matter how many lines there really are.

• As for the 'clearly has a purpose in the design of the app'. What is the advantage of limiting the width of the column to just 25 characters? Again, we're not talking about just a few personal accounts.

And sure, we all understand that a feature request can take some time, but there have been 11 updates of Enpass since this was promised.. So please, keep your word. It's not like this is a crazy, complex encryption feature that causes a complete do-over of the app. It's GUI adjustment.

enpass-no-room-for-text.png

Edited by laptopleon
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, Matis said:

What you said does not make any sense. The wasted space is not at all used for any field or for longer fields. Just look at the screen dumps above. A tool should not eat up your screen with so much wasted space.

And by the way notes is one of the options of the software that does make a lot of sence to keep the save. So notes are an essential part and should work smooth as well.

You are free to make the tool fullscreen if you want but dont tell others they should see the wasted space as features. This is just ridiculoous.

I talk about 'longer field names', not longer fields. My screenshot shows how that makes sense at my medium screen size - it's pretty obvious that what I see in your screenshot is not a good use of space, .

It also looks like there are some differences on how this works out on Mac, at least compared to my Windows screen. My items column gets to a max width of about 45 characters (for the bold item name).

I don't share your wish to use Enpass full screen on a 4K monitor, or to keep extensive notes. That doesn't make your request invalid of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @StilPhone

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

We have already have this requested feature on our roadmap, and our development team is currently working on implementing it for future versions of Enpass. I have also shared the feedback regarding your interest in this feature with our development team. Thanks for your patience during this time!

#SI-388

• Moderator changed the title to Panel Resizing and Space Wasted on Right Panel
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @StilPhone

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

We have already have this requested feature on our roadmap, and our development team is currently working on implementing it for future versions of Enpass. I have also shared the feedback regarding your interest in this feature with our development team. Thanks for your patience during this time!

#SI-388

Hi @Abhishek Dewan,

I simply would like to know if the developers roadmaps  contains something to try to fix this panel resizing issue ?

This topic was created the 9 Oct 2019 and there's no update since.

Can we just know if it's something that will be _really_ handled by the developers or.. not.

If it won't be fixed sooner or later, just make it clears so we have no expectation on this issue. ( I can understand there are others priorities - even if I don't understand why this issue can't be fixed. Maybe there's a good reason though..)

Thanks you,

Regards.

• Like 1

Hi @gyan000

The reason for your disappointment is certainly understandable.

This issue will be resolved, and our dedicated development team is already hard at work. For the moment, I will be unable to provide an ETA. My personal attention is being given to this concern, and if any resolution is found, I will be sure to update this forum. I appreciate your patience and cooperation while we look into this matter.

• Moderator changed the title to Panel Resizing and Space Wasted on Right Panel
  • 3 months later...

A year later and no progress in any way.

Worst of all is that the browser plugin simply doesn't work any more AT ALL. First the shortcut stopped working, now also the right mouse click / contextual menu simply doesn't do anything any more.

I'm very disappointed in Enpass and regret buying the app. Now I'm forced to do research again and move all my 750+ logins again.

You can trust me to ventilate my opinion about Enpass on every occaision I get while going online to find the best password manager.

Hi @laptopleon

I can certainly understand your disappointment in this matter.

Our dedicated development team is already aware of the UI improvement feature request and are currently working on it. I will be sure to post any updates related to this case on this forum. We appreciate your kind understanding and support in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

The first entrance off this topic was on Oktober 2019. You need 3 years! for this? This is an absolute no-go! We are developing software by ourselves. With such an intense demand for a very important and necessary request, we never would do this you our customers. 

• 2 months later...

After switching from 1Password, I am quite happy with Enpass all in all.

And I'm pleasantly surprised by the implementation of some features such as WebDAV & WiFi Sync (Server) - which are substantial for me!

What I don't like (and what makes it difficult for me to work in the vaults) is the fact that both the sidebar and the list of entries can only be widened to a very limited extent.
For the sidebar I can live with this limitation of the user interface (even if it would be better otherwise in my eyes) - as for the list with the entries, however, it means a massive restriction for me if I can see only ≈ 25 characters of the names of my entries (the names are often quite long in my case and very important for me).

Since I haven't known Enpass that long, I don't know if this has always been the case with the small and barely expandable width (and it would take a feature request to change that in future versions) or if expanding the width has been more possible in previous versions (and it would be a bug fix, so to speak, to make the functionality accessible again in the UI).

But maybe there is a (hidden) trick (or keyboard shortcut) for this that I don't know (yet)? 

In this context, I miss a comprehensive user manual (as PDF - with table of contents and keyword index).
The possibility to find info about interface and functions via traditional Mac-Help would also be quite handy.

Thomas

Edited by EDV-DL

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My suggestion for Notes fields is to be able to edit those fields Full Screen.  This could be a full screen within the Enpass interface or in a separate window.  I use the Notes field extensively and its cumbersome to have to scroll the account entry (Vault, Item) in order to see more of the Notes field and then have to scroll within the field itself, all in a (relatively) tiny area.

Rich text would be a nice option for the Notes field after having a larger/Full Screen Notes field.

Thank you for your help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Abhishek Dewan,

One year since my last post in this thread.

Do you really have anything planned to fix this... bad UI design ? Still not be able to make wider left and middle column is really, really, really, really annoying.
If no, please close this thread, it make no sense to keep it opened for 4 years.

Thank you,

Edited by gyan000

• 5 months later...