Enpass Discussion Forum

[SOLVED] Unexpected "Open Enpass Password Manager" prompts

Monyker

Yesterday, I started encountering trouble in Google Chrome when attempting to fill/login. Enpass is configured to open automatically at system startup and the Enpass extension for Chrome is installed. When I attempt to fill login fields, instead of filling as expected, I see this prompt to open Enpass...

OpenEnpass.png.74cf33c25c27a7580ef8091197afcc40.png

If I click the button to Open Enpass Password Manager, a new Enpass instance is opened and the Enpass welcome window appears (create master password / restore from...). Using Process Explorer to inspect the two Enpass instances/windows, I see explorer.exe is the parent of the Enpass instance that started up with the system and chrome.exe is the parent of the instance with the welcome window, that opened when I clicked Open Enpass Password Manager.

I'm not certain, but I think this may have started after Chrome updated to version 101.0.4951.41... correlation/causation and all that... I have Enpass 6.7.4 installed (Windows API / Win32 application). I tried removing/reinstalling the Enpass extension for Chrome. This made no difference.

Is this a known problem? Any suggestions?

Edited by Monyker

I'm not certain, but I suspect the trouble I encountered may be related to the trouble reported by @wmc in topic 28288, Enpass 6.7.4 (933) loses connection to databas.

TLDR

• Before you make any changes to your Enpass setup, make certain you have a recent backup of your Enpass vault.
  • If you use Enpass Windows API (Win32) edition--you download the installer from the Enpass website--remove/uninstall Enpass Microsoft Store edition if it is installed. If Enpass Microsoft Store edition is installed, it will appear as Enpass Password Manager in the Windows Settings (Apps > Apps & features) app. If installed, Enpass Windows API edition will also appear in this list and will appear simply as Enpass. Do not uninstall this edition.
  • Repair Enpass Windows API edition. In Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & features, select Enpass and click the Modify button. Elevate privileges through User Account Control if necessary/prompted. Click Repair.
  • After repair completes, reboot your computer.
  • After rebooting, the first time you attempt to have Enpass fill login fields, you will be prompted to authorize Enpass browser extensions to access Enpass (you will see a prompt for and automatically be provided a 6-digit code). I encountered this separately for Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, but not Mozilla Firefox. In Firefox, it simply worked. I guess authorization for the Enpass Firefox extension survived Enpass repair, etc.

While I can't pinpoint exactly when this started, I think the upgrade to 6.7.4 (933) wasn't as seamless/smooth as usual. I don't think the problem was related to updates to Chrome or other browsers. I encountered the same trouble in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox. I discovered that I had both the Enpass Windows API (Win32) and Microsoft Store (modern app) editions installed. It's unclear to me how this happened. I recall installing the Microsoft Store edition some time ago, perhaps around the time Enpass was first available in the Store app. I decided to continue using Enpass Windows API edition instead, and I thought I had uninstalled Enpass Microsoft Store edition. This wouldn't remove the Enpass app from my "purchased" apps or Microsoft Store app library. I'm wondering if a subsequent Enpass update or possibly a Windows/Microsoft Store app update caused the Enpass app to reinstall...

Hope this is helpful.

• Thanks 1

• Monyker changed the title to [SOLVED] Unexpected "Open Enpass Password Manager" prompts