Enpass Discussion Forum

Master Password rejected

Bmac

I have used Enpass for 5 years and open it regularly. I've never changed my Master Password. Overnight it stopped working. I'm on a Mac laptop using OS Monterey 12.31

I have read that this has happened to others. Advice appreciated

A few months ago I purchased and began using Enpass. I have been using Enpass virtually everyday since. I have been entering my Master Password each time I need to use Enpass and never had an issue. This weekend that changed. I always get the "Incorrect Master Password" and can no longer access Enpass. I know the password very well I've been typing it in without failure over the past months. I am not in the habit of typing it in wrongly but just in case I also tried to copy and paste it in, this made no difference. I also installed the new release of Enpass in hope but sadly that made no difference too.

Right now I'm extremely worried that this is a catastrophic bug and everything is lost. 

MacOS: 11.6.5

@Ben Two Coe,

I regret to inform you that there is no way to recover a master password as the master password is not saved anywhere. All your data is totally under your control and we have no access to it. This is to ensure the best and optimum security for your confidential data. However, if you have the Enpass application on any of your devices with face id/biometrics/PIN enabled and if you are able to access Enpass through it, please let us know and we will try to help you recover your data.

Thanks for your response Gulshan but this is clearly a major issue not just for me but I would guess all users. If Enpass is liable to not accepting the master password then it's unusable as a password manager. Just to confirm if it wasnt obvious from my written text that I did not forget my password and I am 100% confident that I know the password - I didnt change it and I have reasons to know that I will never forget the password.

Whatever the reason I need a password manager that is 100% reliable so regrettably I will have to stop using it since I put my faith in using it and now I am in a big mess. I expect since it's only been a few months I will be able to receive a refund on my purchase?

Thanks for your offer of data recover I should be able to recover the data but not quickly or easily. I am just really sad as I thought I found the ideal password manager with offline support but I just can not emphasise how critical an issue this is for a password manager.

Edited by Ben Two Coe
Add information that I can probably recover the data over time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, Bmac said:

I have used Enpass for 5 years and open it regularly. I've never changed my Master Password. Overnight it stopped working. I'm on a Mac laptop using OS Monterey 12.31

I have read that this has happened to others. Advice appreciated

On 5/4/2022 at 1:49 PM, Ben Two Coe said:

A few months ago I purchased and began using Enpass. I have been using Enpass virtually everyday since. I have been entering my Master Password each time I need to use Enpass and never had an issue. This weekend that changed. I always get the "Incorrect Master Password" and can no longer access Enpass. I know the password very well I've been typing it in without failure over the past months. I am not in the habit of typing it in wrongly but just in case I also tried to copy and paste it in, this made no difference. I also installed the new release of Enpass in hope but sadly that made no difference too.

Right now I'm extremely worried that this is a catastrophic bug and everything is lost. 

MacOS: 11.6.5

First make sure its not a problem from your side. Here are something you can try:-

1. Restart Enpass
  2. restart your computer
  3. make sure caps lock is not ON
  4. make sure keyboard is set to the language of password (if password in english, keyboard input has to be in english if you are bilingual)
  5. On your device you will find backups of Enpass vault, download enpass on your phone or other computer and try to unlock that vault using your password from there.

As a protective measurement, I have opted to use 2 password managers just in case one fails me as EnPass has failed you. I am currently using Bitwarden as backup and often export from Enpass to Bitwarden to keep passwords up to date. Bitwarden is free.

Edited by flyingbirds
  • Like 1

My iOS app has started rejecting my Master Password. It asks for it after successfully using Face ID. My Master Password still works on the macOS version. 

Also, on iOS FaceID will work to access all my passwords from the extension. I can literally open it within Enpass to paste my Master Password into Enpass itself, but it's then rejected. Also typed it at a snail's pace to be sure.

• 3 months later...

My guess is it has something to do Enpass handles keyboard settings and changes. I had the same problem on Windows 11. On my Android phone  I had no problem logging in with the same master password. But it is impossible to login in Windows anymore. On the laptop with those problems I have a German keyboard and switch regularly between different settings and languages. Copy-pasting did not work. But after removing the Documents/Enpass folder and resyncing with Google Drive the same password was accepted. Looks like a bug to me, the data must have been corrupted or maybe Enpass has difficulties handling keyboard changes.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, Gulshan Dogra said:

@Ben Two Coe,

I regret to inform you that there is no way to recover a master password as the master password is not saved anywhere. All your data is totally under your control and we have no access to it. This is to ensure the best and optimum security for your confidential data. However, if you have the Enpass application on any of your devices with face id/biometrics/PIN enabled and if you are able to access Enpass through it, please let us know and we will try to help you recover your data.

Hello, I have such a condition and currently have access to enpass via fingerprint, but forgot my master password, is there any option to try to retrieve it?

On 4/7/2023 at 9:49 AM, Danny J said:

Hello, I have such a condition and currently have access to enpass via fingerprint, but forgot my master password, is there any option to try to retrieve it?

You basically create a new vault on your phone and then copy all your items from the primary vault to the new vault. Once the new vault is backed up you create a new primary vault and copy /import the items back. The procedure of copying items doesn't require password verification so it's the only option if enpass corrupts the vault (or you actually did forget the password) 

Hi @Danny J

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

As you have mentioned/confirmed that you can access your Enpass on other device via Biometrics, we can help you here with the following steps below

1. Open Enpass on your mobile/device using Biometrics.

2. Go to Settings-->Create a new vault of Enpass on your handset with a new password.

3. Copy all the items individually from the other vaults and move them into the newly created vault.

4. Sync this new vault with a new cloud account.

5. Now reinstall Enpass on any other device and restore the data using the new cloud account.

6. Once all your data is restored on the other device, repeat step-5 on all your other devices.