Enpass Discussion Forum

Dropbox sync issue in 6.8.0/6.8.3

Ivarson

7 minutes ago, mrc247 said:

okay, that's interesting. Since the Enpass update to 6.8.3, Dropbox sync has stopped working on both my iPhone and Mac. :-(

I just tested it, changed and entry, it synced and then opened my iPhone app and it's indeed updated. 

Maybe support can address how you can fix that because it doesn't seem to be an issue for all of us. (for now at least)

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

I just tested it, changed and entry, it synced and then opened my iPhone app and it's indeed updated. 

Maybe support can address how you can fix that because it doesn't seem to be an issue for all of us. (for now at least)

ok, thanks for checking.

I will write an email to the support.

• Moderator changed the title to Dropbox sync issue in 6.8.0/6.8.3

Hi @mrc247

For troubleshooting purposes, please follow the below steps. Let me know if the issue persists -

1. Turn off the sync from all device.
  2. Open Dropbox in any browser --> App --> Open Enpass Folder --> Select vault.enpassdbsync file --> Rename it as oldvault.enpassdbsync.
  3. Open Enpass and enable sync with the Dropbox on all the devices.

Note - We request you to refrain from posting on multiple forums, as you have already created a thread for the issue you are facing. Please follow this forum for more assistance and updates. We appreciate your kind understanding in this case.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

For troubleshooting purposes, please follow the below steps. Let me know if the issue persists -

2. Open Dropbox in any browser --> App --> Open Enpass Folder --> Select vault.enpassdbsync file --> Rename it as oldvault.enpassdbsync.

Note - We request you to refrain from posting on multiple forums, as you have already created a thread for the issue you are facing. Please follow this forum for more assistance and updates. We appreciate your kind understanding in this case.

Unfortunately, the approach you suggested doesn't work. When I try to turn off the Dropbox sync in Enpass on my iPhone or Mac by clicking "disconnect" nothing happens. It's like when I click "sync now" nothing happens.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @ithinkiam

For troubleshooting purposes, please ensure that the passwords on your mobile device are up to date. Then reinstall the Enpass app on your desktop device and restore your data via your Dropbox cloud account. If the issue persists, please share a screenshot of any error occurring while synchronizing via Dropbox and I'll have this further investigated for you.

How can I ensure that the passwords on my mobile device are up to date if it won't sync with my desktop? I know at least one password that isn't up to date.

There's also nothing to screenshot as no error is produced. The problem is the *lack* for *anything* occuring when trying to synchronise with Dropbox.

Any other suggestions?

Hi @mrc247 @ithinkiam

If the synchronization is stuck in an endless loop on the Desktop Enpass app, then try the below steps -

1. Go to Enpass Desktop application → Wifi-Sync → Start Wifi-Sync → Select the Vault with the Dropbox issue.

2. It will ask you if you wish to disconnect from Dropbox and use WiFi-Sync. Please choose yes, then close Enpass and reopen.

3. Then visit the same Wifi-Sync page → Disconnect Wifi-Sync. Now, your DropBox cloud account should be disconnected from the vault.

Once done, please refer to the steps I shared in my previous post.

Otherwise, try creating a manual backup of your Enpass data and reinstall the app. If none of the steps work, please share the version of the Enpass app and OS you are using of all the devices on which you are facing this issue and I'll have this further investigated.

1 hour ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247 @ithinkiam

If the synchronization is stuck in an endless loop on the Desktop Enpass app, then try the below steps -

1. Go to Enpass Desktop application → Wifi-Sync → Start Wifi-Sync → Select the Vault with the Dropbox issue.

2. It will ask you if you wish to disconnect from Dropbox and use WiFi-Sync. Please choose yes, then close Enpass and reopen.

3. Then visit the same Wifi-Sync page → Disconnect Wifi-Sync. Now, your DropBox cloud account should be disconnected from the vault.

Once done, please refer to the steps I shared in my previous post.

Otherwise, try creating a manual backup of your Enpass data and reinstall the app. If none of the steps work, please share the version of the Enpass app and OS you are using of all the devices on which you are facing this issue and I'll have this further investigated.

unfortunately it doesn't work as you described.
I started Wifi-Sync and select the Vault with the Dropbox issue and agreed to disconnect from Dropbox.
So far so good. At that moment you can also see that the cloud sync has been deactivated with a corresponding symbol. (crossed out cloud). But when I then restart Enpass, the Dropbox sync configuration is back, in addition to the Wifi sync configuration.

A few more notes on this:
You wrote "If the synchronization is stuck in an endless loop on the Desktop Enpass app" => there is no endless loop!!! The synchronization doesn't do anything for me under macOS anymore. On iOS I have an endless loop, but it doesn't work either.
As I wrote in a previous post:
"When I click "sync now" in Enpass on my iMac, nothing happens. When I click on "sync now" on my iPhone, a circle icon spins, but nothing else happens, no error message or the like."

The "vault.enpassdbsync" file in my Dropbox was last modified on 09/29/2022, just before the update to Enpass 6.8.3.

iOS 15.7 (latest Version before 16.0)
macOS 12.6 (latest GA Version, until next Monday when 13.0 will be GA)

On 10/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

I’ve also tried this. Renaming the Dropbox file makes no difference to the desktop  app. The mobile apps complain that they’ve lost access, but the desktop ap is completely unaware of anything. 

Deleting the app and reinstalling makes no difference either. 

Please can we have an old version of the desktop app (e.g. v6.7.x) to use instead? Clearly the Dropbox connectivity is broken. 

It's now 8 days since I reported the problem to Enpass Support and opened a ticket, unfortunately there hasn't been any response so far. :(
Unfortunately, this coincides with my experiences in the past, when Enpass works everything is great, but if there is a new bug due to an update, it takes months to fix it.
I hope that this problem will not become another 2.5 year story like the autostart problem of the desktop version under macOS.

Hi @mrc247 @ithinkiam

I can certainly understand your disappointment in this matter.

We tried to reproduce the bug on our end but our testing team could not replicate it. Kindly try the below steps once and share your findings with me -

1. Take a backup of the Enpass Data
  2. Erase Everything
  3. Restore using the backup file
  4. Sync the Vault with the Dropbox Account.

Your cooperation in this case is appreciated.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, mrc247 said:

Unfortunately, the approach you suggested doesn't work. When I try to turn off the Dropbox sync in Enpass on my iPhone or Mac by clicking "disconnect" nothing happens. It's like when I click "sync now" nothing happens.

having the exact same issue. this happened on my windows machine, and now it's happening on my mac.

i managed to fix this (for now at least) by resetting all settings in enpass desktop and starting fresh. i hate having to do this because i have to set up all my other settings each time (autolock timeouts, touch ID, etc. etc). i wish those settings could be exported separately from the vault.

meanwhile, i'm not sure how many passwords i added before sync stopped working. that is-- how many passwords have i lost because they weren't synced to the dropbox vault before resetting? i had to reset one password tonight already thanks to this broken dropbox issue: that's at least one lost password.

perhaps i could have recovered this password if i'd been able to merge a backup with the vault on dropbox, but i didn't want to risk losing the rest of my data, or having to spend hours removing duplicates.

the unreliable sync issues (and having to reset all my data to resolve) makes me very concerned about whether i should keep trusting this app to keep my passwords in sync and to not lose them!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:10 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247 @ithinkiam

We tried to reproduce the bug on our end but our testing team could not replicate it. Kindly try the below steps once and share your findings with me -

2. Erase Everything

Am having the same issue, same version, etc. I have also tried Disconnecting and get the same result as others here ("nothing happens"). I've also tried deleting Dropbox's sync'd Application/Enpass folder (no change), and also tried enabling wifi sync with my phone ("error while enabling sync").

I then backed up my vaults, and reset Enpass via the "Erase Everything", restored the vaults and re-enabled Dropbox sync. Though it's annoying to have to do, fortunately that seems to have restored syncing.

On 10/27/2022 at 12:10 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247 @ithinkiam

2. Erase Everything

I can confirm that the above solves it, however I agree with @bunnyhero that this is a concerning laps of QC. Password managers need to have a higher standard of quality due to the importance of what they do. Loss of passwords on any level is not acceptable!

Enpass is now on my "watchlist" of things to consider changing. Any more problems and will likely lose me as a "Pro" customer.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the new Enpass updates (6.8.5 for iOS and 6.8.4 for macOS) do not fix the sync problem caused by 6.8.3. The Dropbox sync feature is still broken on my iPhone and Mac.

And the worst thing about it is that I opened an official case with support more than 3 weeks ago and have not received an answer until today. That's pathetic for a software development company.

• Like 1

Hi @mrc247

Your disappointment in this matter is totally understandable. However, I provided steps to resolve this issue on Oct 27th, which has been helpful for others, but I didn't receive a response from you.

image.thumb.png.f7b9237cc0231a525b9a333822ceeeea.png

Could you please confirm if you tried these steps on your iPhone and Mac? If not, please do and let me know if the issue persists.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

Your disappointment in this matter is totally understandable. However, I provided steps to resolve this issue on Oct 27th, which has been helpful for others, but I didn't receive a response from you.

image.thumb.png.f7b9237cc0231a525b9a333822ceeeea.png

Could you please confirm if you tried these steps on your iPhone and Mac? If not, please do and let me know if the issue persists.

Yes, the steps you suggested helped.

It's a pity that the official Enpass support still hasn't responded to my case.

Unfortunately, I have a new problem with the Enpass Reset you suggested:

• 1 month later...

Really unfortunate that Enpass has descended to low competence and seeming dishonesty about its problems.  I have 6.8.4. Syncing via Dropbox was broken for both IOS and Macos.  After 1.5 hours, I have everything working again.  But, I have no idea why it ever broke:  AND ENPASS WON'T ADMIT WHY--likely because they don't know either.  I uninstalled on IOS.  I backed up on Macos. I uninstalled on Macos.  I deleted the Enpass folder at Dropbox/Apps. Reinstalled on Macos. Loaded the data from the recent backup. Synced to Dropbox.  Worked. Reinstalled on IOS. Synced to Dropbox worked.

Along the way there were repeated failures to "authenticate" the app with messages to the effect (I forget the verbatim) "Unknown error. Authentication Failed.  Try again later.  That is an "f-u" error message if ever there was one. But, it had magically worked. Whatever.

Very disappointed.  Now that Enpass has a subscription, maybe it's time to go back to OnePassword's evil subscription.

You could come clean and explain why the problem happened and apologize. This product is complicated with multiple sync servers and services, sales by the app store and on your website, and a feature-based subscription model.  Test, test, test--outside the dev. lab in the wild world. You can't break synchronization.  It's only the single most important feature.  Your "work around" did work, but it was brute force: do everything over again. That's the solution for when the developers don't understand their product.

Like to here from Enpass about its intentions to do better.

• Like 1

After multiple attempts this morning, I couldn't get Enpass on Mac to sync to Dropbox, so I finally gave up and moved it to iCloud (I originally chose Dropbox because iCloud was blocked by the firewall at work... It's now open, luckily). Anyway... It now works flawlessly again.