Enpass Discussion Forum

Copy vs. Sync?

cEuiUWoaXH

I've never been able to get WiFi Sync to work on my Mac. Even after upgrading my macOS (temporarily) to use version 6.8.0 (from version 6.7.4), which Enpass Support said would fix the problem, WiFi Sync was never able to find my sync server, either in auto or manual mode.

I resorted to using sync via iCloud, which allowed me to get the Mac's data into Enpass on my iPhone. However, subsequent syncs via iCloud have resulted in outdated data from the iPhone being put back in to the data on my Mac. I remove the data from iCloud after each connection, but that doesn't help.

So I've now resorted to copying the data of a new or changed password as text from my Mac, transferring the text file to my iPhone via iTunes, opening Enpass on the iPhone and manually copying & pasting the text data. Kind of a PITA.

Since I never create or change passwords on my iPhone, I'm looking for a way to simply copy the Enpass data from my Mac to the iPhone -- without syncing the iPhone's outdated data back onto my Mac. This was easy to do via iTunes with 1Password. With Enpass, not so much.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi @cEuiUWoaXH

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

If you are using Enpass version 6.8.0 on your macOS, I would suggest updating your Enpass app to the latest version 6.8.2, as updates address a lot of bug fixes and improvements to the app. If the issue persists where the outdated data from the iPhone is being put back into the data on your Mac, please create a manual backup of your data on your Mac (Ensure that you have the most recent data) and then try the below steps -

1. Remove the iCloud synchronization from all the connected devices.
  2. While doing so, you will also get an option to 'Delete data from iCloud'. Please proceed with it.
  3. Enable the synchronization on your Mac first, then on the rest of your devices.

As for moving data from your Mac to iOS, you can create a manual backup of your data on your Mac and then restore that file on your iOS Enpass app. Please refer to the below links for our handy guide on how to do so -

1. Creating a manual backup
  2. Restoring backup

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Abhishek. Since iOS Enpass cannot connect to my Mac's wifi sync server, I tried copying the Enpass backup file from my Mac over to the iPhone via iTunes and using iOS Enpass to restore from that. However, going to Settings > Backup > On Device in iOS Enpass does not show any previous backups, so there's no Restore option.

Hi @cEuiUWoaXH

You can follow one of the below steps to restore your backup on your iOS device -

• On the welcome screen of the Enpass app on your iOS device, click Backup File on the Enpass Welcome screen. Find and select your backup file from your device and click Open. Select the vault you want to restore and click Continue. Enter the Master Password/vault password and click Restore.
  • Create a new vault in your Enpass iOS app -> This Device ->  Restore A Vault From -> Files -> Select the Enpass backup file -> Continue.

As for the Wifi Sync not working, I would suggest updating your Enpass app to the latest version (6.8.2 for Mac/6.8.1 for iOS), disconnecting the synchronization from any connected devices and restarting the Wifi server. You can also refer to the steps in our handy set up and troubleshooting guides -

1. Wifi Sync Manual Setup guide
  2. Troubleshooting guide