Enpass Discussion Forum

Sync sometimes pushes old passwords on top of new ones

Hecsa

Hi everyone, I'm writing because I have a strange sync issue with the app.

First of all let me list my current setup to have some context:
I mostly use Apple devices (MacBook Pro M1, iPad and iPhone) and a Windows 11 PC.
Every device have the latest version of Enpass available, all setup with cloud sync on Google Drive.

Yesterday I noticed that some recently updated passwords went back to the old ones.
I suspect that one of my devices that I use less (maybe the iPad) pushed an old version of the password database to the cloud without checking if there was a newer version, and that led to new passwords being overwritten.
What's funny is that at some point I had my iPad with Enpass with an item, side-by-side with my iPhone with the same item and a different password, and this persisted even after forcing a sync on both devices.

At the moment I don't even know how many passwords were changed, since I'm discovering them one by one while trying to log into different websites, and for the time being i'm just asking those websites for a password reset.

Has this ever happened to someone that maybe found a solution? I also checked on my mobile devices if there was some background activity block, but found none. Could it be something relevant only on iOS devices? (I recently switched to iPhone, before I was using an Android device and I don't remember this ever happening there).

Thank you in advance!

Hi @Hecsa,

Welcome to the Enpass Community Forum. 

Thank you for reporting the presence of this issue. Make sure all the devices have the latest Enpass versions and their date & time are the same across the devices. If both the details matched, try reinstalling the Enpass and restore the data on the device in question. Let me know if that helps.

Hi @Manish Chokwal,

Thanks for answering!
I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the Enpass app from every device I own, and I took this occasion to switch my Cloud Sync from Google Drive to iCloud, copying every password from one Vault to the other.
Now it's only a matter of waiting and hoping this behavior doesn't happen again, and if so, I'll be sure to drop an update on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

every time I set up a password in Enpass on Windows or phone or tablet, I save and sync. Then I sync on the other devices and they're not updating the password - much worse, they set up the OLD password to the other devices again. What the...? - After this, I tried to delete all data from iCloud and the devices itself and tried again with a backup. Same problem. Why is this sync so bugged since last update?

Because of this, I had to recover my passwords on over 200 sites again and again. Not funny!

Edited by EsPo_the4th

Hi @DeepBlue,

Thank you for reporting the presence of this issue. In order to assist you better, please help me with the following details:

1. Share the details of Enpass version installed on your Android and Windows devices along with their OS versions.
  2. Let me know the Cloud services that you using to sync the data.
  3. Make sure the date & time must be the same on both the devices.
  4. Check the last sync date & time on both the devices from the Enpass vault settings.
  5. You can also try an easy troubleshooting, disconnect the sync from the Windows and Android devices and re-sync again. 

Hey @EsPo_the4th,

Welcome to the Enpass Community Forum.

I understand your concern about not being able to get updated passwords across the devices and should certainly appreciate your efforts in trying resolving this issue by performing mentioned steps on your own. In order to assist you better, please help me with the following details:

1. You have mentioned changing password on a device does reflect on other device. Are you referring the master password or an item password?
  2. If you were referring an item password, please check if all the devices are synced with the same cloud account.
  3. Make sure the date & time must be the same across the devices. 
  4. You can also try this simple troubleshooting step, apart from the device that have the latest passwords try disconnecting sync on other devices and sync them again. Let me know if that helps. 

1. Dont know the exact version of the windows app at this time. Guess the store updated it regulary. After the error occured, I installed the website version instead. Android version always up to date (I check for updates daily).

2. I use OneDrive for syncing.

3. All Systems get time updates from either NTP (Windows) or netprovider (Android). Please note that the reverted passwords were changed a few days ago on android before launching the PC version.

4. As stated, I already reinstalled and reconnected the desktop versions, I will continue to observe this.

Error occurred at least on two windows systems.

Edited by DeepBlue

Hello,

1. item password

2. Of course all devices are synced with the same cloud account

3. Same date and time on all devices

4. This method didn't work either. Enpass replaced new entries with old ones. I had to delete all enpass data from iCloud twice, now it seems to be working, but I'm skeptical that this chaos could happen again to be honest. I've lost a bit of confidence in Enpass.

=>

Found this, I think he has the same problem.

Edited by EsPo_the4th

• Moderator changed the title to Sync sometimes pushes old passwords on top of new ones

Hey @EsPo_the4th,

Thank you for sharing all the details and feedback. In order to resolve this issue, please try the following steps and let us know if that resolves the issue:

1. Firstly, take a manual backup of your data on all the devices.
  2. Disconnect the iCloud sync from all your devices.
  3. Now, open iCloud app/website → Open Enpass folder → Select vault.enpassdbsync file → Rename it as oldvault.enpassbdsync.
  4. Try reconnecting the iCloud sync with the device with the most updated data. If synced successfully, sync the rest of the devices.
  5. If you see correct data on all the devices, you can delete the renamed old backup file from step 3.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:24 AM, Manish Chokwal said:

Hey @EsPo_the4th,

Thank you for sharing all the details and feedback. In order to resolve this issue, please try the following steps and let us know if that resolves the issue:

1. Firstly, take a manual backup of your data on all the devices.
  2. Disconnect the iCloud sync from all your devices.
  3. Now, open iCloud app/website → Open Enpass folder → Select vault.enpassdbsync file → Rename it as oldvault.enpassbdsync.
  4. Try reconnecting the iCloud sync with the device with the most updated data. If synced successfully, sync the rest of the devices.
  5. If you see correct data on all the devices, you can delete the renamed old backup file from step 3.

Did it exactly like that - Today, new passwords got overwritten by old ones again.

Edited by EsPo_the4th

Glad I just found this.

I sent a message to Enpass Twitter account on June 16 discussing this issue. A day before I changed near 70% of my passwords. On June 16 I tried to login

on my bank account and got a wrong password message. I then checked and saw that several of my passwords had reverted back to the old ones.

I'm syncing using iCloud between my Mac and my iPhone. Both versions are the latest. I already erased both apps and also deleted and recovered

the vault. It's a bug that has been recently introduced, never happened to me before in years of using the app.

Today it happened again. I used my Mac to create a new login, Added the record and saved it.

Edited again and saved some notes. A few minutes later I checked my iPhone and the notes were

gone. Opened the Mac app and gone as well. It's a dangerous bug and you should work seriously on it.

Something that I noticed: The time/date of the record it's correctly updated (so the app knows that the record was modified and change the timestamp),

however the fields are reverted. I most saw this behavior with the passwords fields. However, I got a note deleted today, so I not longer sure if thats true.

I'm attaching a screenshot of one affected record. The password displayed is old (from January 23) and not the new one that I saved in the app, but the record

show that it has been modified 18 minutes ago.

r4DsOVkt.jpg-medium.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m suffering from this same problem with one of my passwords. First it reverted to same old password twice, then another old one. I need to reset the password constantly due to Enpass messing up. This regards Enpass on MacOS

1. Macos version 6.8.2
  2. Syncing to Google Drive
  3. All devices are set to same time
  4. Sync time shows correctly
  5. I’ve tried manually syncing after a password update, but this still occurs
Edited by ki5678olr6tgk

Hey @diegoisok & @ki5678olr6tgk,

I appreciate your efforts in reporting the presence of this issue and sharing details. I have shared it all with the concerned team for further investigation. In the meantime, your patience is highly appreciated here. 

Update: We have recently released a new Beta v6.8.3 for desktops. It would be great if you can try that and share your feedback. 

SI-3095

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I will be going back to 1Password soon. Enpass is just a bundle of bugs. It has the better concept, but the developers obviously don't know what they're doing. iCloud sync is buggy, WebDAV is buggy, data gets lost. Support is bad, tickets get deleted, and there is no way for customers to talk to the developers directly.

Edited by Bachsau

Hi @all,

I appreciate you for being patient with us. I would like to share that we have released Enpass v6.8.4 for iOS. Kindly update and share feedback. 

Hey @Bachsau,

I understand your concern that you are experiencing multiple issues with the Enpass. In order to assist you better, kindly elaborate more about the issues so that I can assist you better.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, Manish Chokwal said:

In order to assist you better, kindly elaborate more about the issues so that I can assist you better.

I already did but got either misunderstood or ignored.

1. I already described the problem with iCloud here, but you just gave me an FAQ link, which of course I already read, because I investigate on issues before posting. I also wrote about what I think is the root of the problem, but you don't seem to have read it. Other users on that threat also wrote that following the FAQ tip did not solve the problem.

2. Regarding my WebDAV problems, I opened three tickets (not at the same time). Two of them got deleted without notice. The third one, ECS-31081, got aknowledged after I complained on the forums. I'm still waiting for a fix.

3. Regarding the support, you already seem to be in that state of big companies, where a phalanx of supporters "protect" the developers from customers. The problem being that those supporters know nothing about the inner workings of the product. Developers should at least sometimes read the forums themselves, so they can learn about problems firsthand. The problem described in this thread (new entries overwritten with older ones) should not have happened at all. It is an obvious sign of bad software design.

4. In all Desktop versions, Categories and Tags are sometimes missing from the sidebar. This seems to happen mostly when startup takes longer than usual, so I guess it's a race condition. Enpass needs to be restarted for them to show up again. The iOS version sometimes displays wrong website icons on several entries after new items have been synced to the device. The correct icons re-appear after scrolling them out of screen and back. These are rather small errors, but they have existed for several versions now.

I'm a coder myself, so I know what I'm talking about. You should stop developing new features for a while and focus on optimizations and bug fixing.

Edited by Bachsau