Enpass Discussion Forum

Where save the Back-Up-File of EnPass on the Computer?

Marina

Hello dear Community, 

Now I want to hear from you, where you save your Passwordfiles on the Computer? 

I had a pretty obvious file, where you could assume that it would be there. Which is pretty dumb obviously. Still I'm not sure which way would be smarter. Put in an any "random" file where no one would suspect it? Oder put in a file with countless other files inside?

Do you get what I mean? I'm sorry, if my english is bad .. :D

Best Regards

16 hours ago, Marina said:

Hello dear Community, 

Now I want to hear from you, where you save your Passwordfiles on the Computer? 

I had a pretty obvious file, where you could assume that it would be there. Which is pretty dumb obviously. Still I'm not sure which way would be smarter. Put in an any "random" file where no one would suspect it? Oder put in a file with countless other files inside?

Do you get what I mean? I'm sorry, if my english is bad .. :D

Best Regards

It's not clear whether youre referring to the keyfile, the actual vault or the backup-files?

the vault can be moved on some platforms, but should probably only be moved if it's neccesary.

the optional keyfile that complements the password should not be too visible as you state it, for instance should it be placed on your Desktop it could be noticed via "shoulder surfing" and stolen if you left your computer unattended for few seconds. A USB-key in your keychain could be good, as long as you have a copy of the file in case it gets lost.

the location for backup-files can also be moved, a good strategy would be to copy it regularly to safe place, preferable offline media like a USB-drive to safeguard against ransomware, harddrive failures or other thefts.

If you were referring to the keyfile, it's worth mentioning that on some platforms, the keyfile doesn't have to be present during decryption since it's stored in the secure storage, this applies to at least iOS, Android, Windows (not all computers supports that)