Enpass Discussion Forum

Major bug using iCloud

David Jameson

So, I have completely given up using my Nextcloud server for Enpass (Enpass is just not reliable in that environment)....sad because the ability to use my private server was the reason I switched in the first place.

However, given the amount of time I have now invested in Enpass, before giving up on Enpass completely I thought I'd try using iCloud as the server and immediately ran into a new problem.

Scenario:   I have multiple devices but with just my Mac and an iPhone, here's the problem I ran into.

Step 1. I switched my Mac to use iCloud instead of NextCloud and synced.

Step 2. I then modified the passwords for one of the entries in Enpass  (Plex had a data breach the other day so I was changing passwords)

Step 2a) I don't remember if I explicitly resynced or just shut off my system but regardless, that shouldn't matter!

Step 3. A few hours later, I opened my iPhone, opened Enpass and switched the vault from NextCloud to iCloud and synced

Step 4. The next day, I opened my Mac again, opened Enpass and discovered that the password for my Plex had reverted to the old password that was still on my iPhone.

Step 5. Sure enough, checking my iPhone, the old password was still stored.

It seems that when you connect your vault to a new source, the sync process isn't taking into account the **timestamp** of entries already in the vault and Enpass is just blindly overwriting with whatever is on the device being synced. It **should** be detecting when a value in the vault is newer than what is on the device and sync that value back to the device.

This is scary because passwords can now easily be lost.

Very disappointing and surprising behavior for a critical tool.

• Sad 1

I see sometimes the same behavior, but without changing vault sync locations.

Primary I use my Apple devices and use iCloud for syncing. My Windows PC is not that often used anymore, so I need to reauthenticate quite often. Which often, not always, creates same behavior and changed entries are overwriten with older ones.

So really interested in the resolution. That's really annoying. 

Hi @David Jameson and @RalfE89,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please share the following details so that I can get this issue investigated by our concerned team.

1. On which devices and OS versions (mention all) are you using Enpass?
  2. Which Enpass version are you using on each device?
  3. Does the last synced time get updated on the sync page?
  4. Total number of items and vaults in your Enpass.

#SI-3067

Hi Guishan,

thanks for your reply and I support you guys as best as I can. My details:

1. iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 15.6.1, iPad Pro 11'' from 2017 on iPad OS 15.6.1, MBP 16'' with M1 Pro on Mac OS 12.5.1 and Windows 10 Desktop on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1889)
  2. iOS 6.8.1 (633), iPad OS 6.8.1 (633), Mac OS 6.8.2 (1082) Mac App Store, Windows 6.8.2 (1084)
  3. Yes
  4. One vault with around 300 items across all categories, most of them are logins. No attachments stored. Cleaned up on Saturday, now at precisely 252 total items and on Sunday I had my last overwrite issue.

@RalfE89,

Thank you for sharing the details.

I have duly noted your feedback and all the details have been forwarded to our concerned team for further investigation. I will update you on this as soon as I receive any updates from the team regarding the same.

In the meanwhile, your patience and support are highly appreciated.
#SI-3067

• Thanks 1

I think the equipment list is irrelevant. Just setup enpass on a Mac and on an iPad, sync with iCloud, and you will be able to reproduce the problem.

It may very well be that the problem can be reproduced using two Macs as well, I haven’t tried that.

in any case, the symptoms suggests strongly that the date of the entry is not being used to determine which “side” is newer.

That said, I wish you’d fix the problem with Nextcloud so Enpass doesn’t arbitrarily decide that the password is wrong and refuses to connect any more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected this to work. You should make sure to have all your sync connections updated before making changes to fault again, and if you can't, reset Enpass on any outdated devices and do a fresh sync. Also, do not delete the the data from your old cloud before disconnecting the last device. Once you click "disconnect" on a sync connection, you end up with two separate vaults that you shouldn't expect to come nicely together again if they differ.

Of more importance is that you even risk losing your password if you try to login on an different device before the sync is complete. Using an entry updates it's last used date, which updates the entry, resulting in it being overwritten with this "latest" version of the entry.

Edited by Bachsau

1 minute ago, Bachsau said:

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected this to work.

Sorry, what exactly would you not expect to work?
With my first tests with iCloud, I discovered that whichever device connected most recently “won”, meaning that it overwrote everything in the vault stored on iCloud regardless of whether some of the already stored items had newer dates, so items updated (or added) from other devices previously to a sync from another device simply got lost. 

This had nothing to do with having multiple vaults. Enpass has fixed that issue though I have run into another issue where items added from my computer sometimes don’t show up on my iPad or iPhone. Not sure yet what’s going on, though I’m suspecting that Enpass is just not always resyncing itself after a change.

Hi @David Jameson

If you are still facing this issue where you are synchronizing with your iCloud account and your old passwords are sometimes replacing the new ones, please follow the below troubleshooting steps -

1. Remove the synchronization from all the connected devices. While doing so, you will also get an option to 'Delete data from iCloud'. Please proceed with it, and after doing it, enable the synchronization again, first on the device with the most recent data and then on the rest of the devices.
  2. Please check and confirm that the time setting is set to automatic on all the devices and there is no time difference. If they are not, kindly set it to automatic.

Let me know if the issue persists.

On 12/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, David Jameson said:

Sorry, what exactly would you not expect to work?

Merging changes that have been made while some devices were still connected to another cloud provider. If you want to change clouds, first update all devices, before changing any contents. In the listing above, your third step should have been your second one.

On 12/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, David Jameson said:

This had nothing to do with having multiple vaults.

As soon as you disconnect from a cloud service, you have multiple vaults. One on all devices connected to the new cloud, and another one on those still connected with the old one.

No, I disconnected the Nextcloud service from all my devices and computers first --- I had to -- enpass was not reliable with Nextcloud --- that's why I wanted to try switching to NextCloud.

That said, I'm not quite sure why that should even matter --- if an item is newer in a vault than it is on my device, it should update the item on my device --- if the item is then even newer on another vault, both my device and the first vault should be updated. That is how I would expect it to behave.