Enpass Discussion Forum

Notes data loss during Cloud sync

paulsiu

Recently, I pull an older computer out of storage and I resync enpass. Much to my surprise some of the notes I added to the account earlier got deleted and it appears the entry reverted to the older entry. Is there a way to get a history of the changes so I can recover the notes?

An all desktop-installations of Enpass, local backup is enabled by default.

If you have one of those (mac/linux/windows), do a restore on one of those.

There were more people comlaining about bad syncing, Im not sure this is fixed in 6.8.3, but at least ensure youre on that version on all devices.

Hi @paulsiu

As suggested by @Ivarson, please try restoring a previous backup on your old pc and then synchronize the data. You can refer to the below steps -

1. Disconnect the synchronization for this vault from all the connected devices.
  2. Create a manual backup of your recent data on your old pc and check if you enabled Auto-backups (this setting can be found under Enpass Settings -> Backup -> Auto backup). 
  3. If yes, try restoring a previous backup from the same path and confirm if all your data has been restored. After confirming, set up synchronization on this old pc first and then on the rest of the devices.

Hi,

Thank you. I was able to find another computer, disconnect the sync, restore it, and copy out the notes and then resync.

While the issue is fixed, I am alarmed that the issue occurred in the first place. What can I do to prevent syncing issues. The problem is that if someone goes wrong, I won't know until much later.

Hi @paulsiu

It is definitely a strange occurrence. As synchronization in Enpass depends on time stamps, please ensure that the time setting on all your devices is set to automatic and there is no discrepancy. Moreover, each sync is time-stamped, and you can check your sync status any time:

1. Go to Settings > Vaults, and select the vault you want to check.
  2. Under the heading Last Synchronized, you will find the time stamp of the most recent sync.

• 2 months later...