Enpass Discussion Forum

Chrome extension crashes and forces enpass to be restarted

Hello,

since yesterday I'm experiencing problems with the chrome extension for mac. If I visit the following site the extension does not react anymore (neighter by clicking on the extension-icon in the browser bar nor by trying to fill in credentials in the login form nor by visiting another site, where enpass still works as expected). In most cases enpass crashes totally and only a restart of the app will help.

I'm using Chrome 106.0.5249.91, Mac OS Monterey 12.6, Extension 6.8.0, Enpass 6.8.3.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Hi @firewally

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

For troubleshooting purposes, please try re-configuring the extension, and reinstalling it from here. If the issue persists, kindly share the below details with me and I'll have this further investigated for you -

1. A screenshot of any error occurring would be helpful.
  2. Is the Enpass app showing you a crash report after the crash? If yes, kindly share it with me.

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply!

Regrettably neither an error nor a crash report is shown, the extension simply stops working and does not react any more when clicking the icon in the login-field of the website or clicking the extension-icon in the browser-bar. Once I have visited the site the extension is broken.

Sometimes the enpass-app itself crashes as well (showing the "disc of death"), but thats's not reliably reproducable. 

Regards

Hi @firewally

Could you please confirm if you tried re-configuring and re-installing the Enpass Extension? Also, I suggest creating a manual backup of your Enpass data and then reinstalling the app.

If the above workaround does not work, please share the below details with me and I'll have this further investigated for you -

1. Is the Enpass Extension becoming unresponsive just on the https://tracker.censhare.de/censhare5/client/ webpage or any others as well? If there are others, kindly share their URL.
  2. Regarding the Enpass app crashing, is the app crashing for you after a certain step, ie, after editing an Item, creating a new Item, etc? Or is it completely random?

3. Try disconnecting the internet, then launch the Enpass app and observe if the app is still crashing for you. If it is not crashing, then while the internet is disconnected, try removing the cloud account you are using for synchronization, enable the internet and re-launch Enpass to check if the app is still crashing. Also share the cloud service you are using to synchronize your data.

Hi!

I uninstalled Enpass and the Extension, without success. First the problem seemed to be fixed, but now the extension is crashing again and sometimes the app itself too (after some time?) after visiting the site.

To answer your questions:

1. There are other urls as well with the same problems, but they lie behind a VPN so you can not access them: The software (and the login) behind is the same as in the example. But: All that worked for a long time without any problems.
  2. The extension does not react any more when entering the loginpage. Clicking into the form fields doesn't do anything. The same when hitting the extension-icon in the browser-bar.
  3. The app is not crashing when disconnected from web and doesn't crash reproducably every time on the mentioned site. Synchronisation is done via webdav.

Edited by firewally

20 hours ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @firewally

It is possible that the VPN service you are using may cause the concern that you are facing. Could you please share the name of the VPN you are using and try disabling the service to check if the issue persists?

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

Hi,

I use various different VPN types and clients depending on the project, but the mentioned URL is accessible without VPN and the result is the same concerning the enpass-extension without VPN.

Edited by firewally

Hi @firewally

We were able to partially reproduce the reported issue where the Inline Menu is not appearing on the mentioned webpage. However, to proceed further with the investigation where you are unable to use Enpass Extension from the toolbar, we require some additional information - 

1. Device information: Macbook version and Chipset.
  2. Is it possible for you to share a short video of the part where you are unable to use Extension from the toolbar and have to restart the application? You can share the video with us at support@enpass.io and mention this forum.

hi @Abhishek Dewan,

I sent you a screencast via Wetransfer to the mentioned mail address. Regrettably I can not reliably reproduce the crashing of the enpass app itself because I noticed that it sometimes crashes and then occasionally only some time after the browser-extension crashed. Maybe this only a coincidence, I don't know....

My system:

• iMac 24-inch, 2021
  • Chip: Apple M1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @firewally

We thoroughly analyzed the issue you reported and were able to reproduce the concern where the Inline Menu is not appearing on the mentioned webpage but couldn't replicate the crash. Our dedicated team is now working on resolving it, and soon a patch addressing this issue will be released. Your patience in the meantime is appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, are there any news about this? It's frustrating to have enpass crash after a while when I visited one of the sites where the login doesn't work. As the extension doesn't come up again every time even after a restart of enpass I have to copy/paste all the credentials manually - for me a no go!

Please give me an Info until when the problems will be fixed otherwise I have to switch to another password-manager.

Hi @firewally

I can certainly understand your disappointment in this matter. Moreover, I would like to share that our dedicated development team is already aware of this issue, and they are working on fixing this bug. Unfortunately, I will be unable to share any ETA for the same but rest assured, I'm following up on this matter for you and will be sure to update this forum when a fix for this bug is released. We appreciate your cooperation in this case and apologize for any inconvenience caused to you in this case.