Enpass Discussion Forum

Computer hard drive died need help with new Enpass

Secure

Hello,

I have been using Enpass for  a few years. Best software product I have ever used. I have suggested Enpass to all of my friends and family.

I have had a few issues over the years and you guys always seemed to get me going again no matter how simple the question.

Now I have a new issue. My hard drive died. Blue screen of death! Got it fixed and new Win 10 installed. Apps are working again. Now I need to get Enpass installed and running. I have Enpass synced from google drive across all of my devices. A windows PC (different from this newly reinstalled one), a Mac, a tablet, and my cell phone. Enpass still works fine on all of these devices. I downloaded Enpass app from Enpass website store. What steps do I take next to get my Enpass app up and data from the cloud back to it? Thanx in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

David W

Hi @Secure

As you have the Enpass data already synchronized to Google Drive, you just need to restore your data on your newly installed Windows 10 device. On the welcome screen of the Enpass application on your device, choose to Restore Existing -> Select Google Drive → Enter master password → Continue. All the passwords will be synced to your device.

Hi Abhisek.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. However Enpass comes back with this "A vault has been found on your google drive account. Please provide a password for this vault. You will use this password to unlock Enpass as your master password." I didn't set up a password for vaults so I put my Master Password in there but it comes back in red with "Incorrect Password." This Master Password works on all of my other devices! I am not sure what to do next.

Kind regards,

David W

Hi @Secure

For quick troubleshooting, please try the below steps - 

1. I recommend checking this highly useful troubleshooting guide.
  2. Ensure that you are synchronizing with the correct cloud account. The cloud account from which you are trying to restore your data should be the same as the one you are using to synchronize your data on other devices.

If the above instructions do not help, kindly share the below details with me and I’ll get this investigated for you -

1. The version of the Enpass app and OS you are using on your devices.
  2. Please share a screenshot of any error message you are getting.
  3. Is the master password working on your other devices or are you accessing the Enpass app through biometrics/Face ID?
  4. The number of vaults you have in your Enpass app on your other devices.

Hi Abhisek.

Thanks so much for your help!

1. The version of the Enpass app and OS you are using on your devices.I am synced to the correct account.

I am using brand new Win 10 and brand new download of Enpass from website store

2. Is the master password working on your other devices or are you accessing the Enpass app through biometrics/Face ID? -                                                     Yes master password works on my iphone, my samsung galaxy tablet and another laptop using win 10. 

No I type the password in.

3. The number of vaults you have in your Enpass app on your other devices. 

I have just 1 vault on my Enpass app on google drive.

4. Please share a screenshot of any error message you are getting.

Please find screenshots below....

DCW 1.jpg

DCW 2.jpg

DCW 3.jpg

DCW 4.jpg

DCW 5.jpg

DCW 6.jpg

Hi @Secure

Thank you for sharing the details with me.

Could you please confirm if you tried the steps in our troubleshooting guide and ensure that you are synchronizing with the correct cloud account? Also, please confirm the number of vaults you have saved in your Enpass app on your other devices.

The master password is used to access the Enpass app and is associated with the Primary vault. Any other vault you create in the Enpass app has its own vault password. Now, for example, let's say on your other devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad) you are using multiple vaults, say Vault 1 (Primary) synced with cloud account 1 and Vault 2 (Secondary) synced with cloud account 2.

Now, if you try to restore your Vault 1 data from your cloud account 1 on any other device, the app will require the master password (as the master password is associated with the Primary vault). However, if you try to restore Vault 2 data from your cloud account 2 on any other device, you will need to enter the Vault password to access it and not the master password (Secondary vaults are associated with their vault password). 

Hi @Secure

Please remove the synchronization from all the connected devices. While doing so, you will also get an option to 'Delete data from Google Drive'. Please proceed with it and after doing it, enable the synchronization again. Once done, reinstall the Enpass app and restore the cloud backup from the same Google Drive account with which you set up synchronization in the above steps.

Your cooperation in this case is appreciated.

Hi,

I'm glad to have found this thread because I am having the same problem. I recently upgraded my PC from Windows 8.1 by doing a clean install of Windows 10. I use Dropbox rather than Google Drive, but I am getting the same "Incorrect Password" notification when I try to connect the Windows 10 PC to my vault file in Dropbox. My only other connected device is my Android phone, and Enpass works fine on it.

Pardon my ignorance Abhishek, but I don't know how to "remove the synchronization from all the connected devices." Would you please enlighten me?

Secure, have you been able to connect to your "new" Windows 10 PC to your Enpass vault?

Abhishek, thank you for providing me with the link to the info about disconnecting the vault synchronization. With your help I was able to get my desktop reconnected to Enpass. I was apprehensive about deleting any data, but it did work. I have eight years worth of passwords stored in Enpass, and to me losing that data would be like committing digital suicide!

And Secure, thank you as well for starting this thread. You gave a really detailed description of the same problem I was having. It was tremendously helpful!

• Like 1