Enpass Discussion Forum

Option "Remember the location of the last used key file" no longer works

mrc247

Unfortunately, to solve the Dropbox sync problem, I had to completely delete Enpass and set it up again with a backup.
I also have to reset all the settings in the application.

Since then, the option "Remember the location of the last used key file" no longer works.

Before my Enpass reset, I always only have to enter the master password at Enpass start, the key file was already selected.

Now after the reset, in addition to the master password, I have to click on "Select key file" every time and then select the file.

I would open a case with Enpass Support, but unfortunately the cases I open, for example because of the Dropbox Sync. Problem, either not answered at all or they are simply closed unresolved.

So please, can someone help me to solve the problem and restore the state before my Enpass reset.

Many greetings

macOS 13.1

Enpass 6.8.4 (1166)

Hi @mrc247

We have received your query on support@enpass.io and have responded to the same. To avoid duplication of efforts and confusion, we request you to please revert to the same. Moreover, for a faster response to your query, we recommend either creating a ticket on our email channel or our forums. It helps us to track the concern/query with ease meaning quicker responses from support. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

2 hours ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

We have received your query on support@enpass.io and have responded to the same. To avoid duplication of efforts and confusion, we request you to please revert to the same. Moreover, for a faster response to your query, we recommend either creating a ticket on our email channel or our forums. It helps us to track the concern/query with ease meaning quicker responses from support. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Yes, this time I got a response from support.

It wasn't my fault that the Dropbox problem resulted in a total of 3 cases.

After I hadn't received an answer to the first case for more than three weeks, I responded to the automatic answer because I wanted to know what the status was and this automatically opened case no. 2.
When I hadn't heard from Case No. 2 for two weeks, I asked again and since Case No. 2 was apparently simply closed without a solution, Case No. 3 was automatically generated. But I didn't get any reaction to Case No. 3 either.

That was one of the worst support experiences of my life.
And I make my money as a system administrator who constantly has to open cases with companies like VMware, NetApp or HPE.

Thank you for your understanding that I'm a little annoyed that I also have to analyze problems caused by an Enpass update in the evening.

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 12:20 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

When will the problem I described be fixed???

It annoys me to death having to manually select the key file every time Enpass starts on the Mac.

I already opened a support case and this thread in mid-December 2022 and have not received an answer... four months later..

33 minutes ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

Our development team is aware of this bug and they are working on fixing it. I will be unable to share any ETA at the moment but will be sure to update this forum once a patch addressing this issue is released. We appreciate your kind understanding and patience in the interim.

Thanks for the information.

Then let's hope it doesn't take another four months.

6 hours ago, Ivarson said:

Enpass has the same amnesia under Linux, however, there I can simply restart enpass, untick and then immediately tick "Remember keyfile", it will in other words honor the setting the second time you enable it. Does the same apply for MacOS? 

Unfortunately not, I already had the same idea. ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

Our development team is aware of this bug and they are working on fixing it. I will be unable to share any ETA at the moment but will be sure to update this forum once a patch addressing this issue is released. We appreciate your kind understanding and patience in the interim.

Hi Abhishek Dewan,

I just installed the new Enpass version (6.9.0) and I can't believe the bug hasn't been fixed yet. WTF

It's been 7 months since I reported the bug.
I'm lost for words..

Hi @mrc247

I completely empathize with your disappointment regarding this matter. Rest assured, we are diligently working to uncover the root cause of this issue and implement the necessary fixes. Our primary goal is to provide a smooth user experience, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are actively monitoring this forum and carefully considering the valuable feedback from our users to expedite the resolution process. Your patience and understanding during this time are immensely appreciated.

Please bear with us as we address this concern, and we thank you wholeheartedly for your continued support and cooperation.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same issue. What fixed it for me was changing the master password and removing + re-adding the Keyfile.

• Go to settings --> Security
  • Choose 'change master password' and authorize yourself with your current password
  • On the bottom of the page click Advanced --> Remove Keyfile
  • Click again on Advanced --> Add Keyfile
  • Enter your new (or same as before) password
  • Click Done

Above steps finally made Enpass remember my Keyfile location.
Hope it will help others with this issue as well.

I must say that I'm also disappointed with the lack of communication from the Enpass team surrounding this matter though :|. Over half a year that "our development team is already working on fixing this bug". That must be a helluva bug if it takes this long...

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone who shares with us here in the thread that they have the same problem! :x

On 8/10/2023 at 4:51 PM, Robin said:

Had the same issue. What fixed it for me was changing the master password and removing + re-adding the Keyfile.

• Go to settings --> Security
  • Choose 'change master password' and authorize yourself with your current password
  • On the bottom of the page click Advanced --> Remove Keyfile
  • Click again on Advanced --> Add Keyfile
  • Enter your new (or same as before) password
  • Click Done

Above steps finally made Enpass remember my Keyfile location.
Hope it will help others with this issue as well.

I must say that I'm also disappointed with the lack of communication from the Enpass team surrounding this matter though :|. Over half a year that "our development team is already working on fixing this bug". That must be a helluva bug if it takes this long...

Thank you for sharing this workaround with us.

Before I try it myself I have a question:

If I remove the key file and add it back, is it a new file so I have to replace it on all my other devices as well? or does it remain the same file during the process?

On 8/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, mrc247 said:

Before I try it myself I have a question:

If I remove the key file and add it back, is it a new file so I have to replace it on all my other devices as well? or does it remain the same file during the process?

You select the same Keyfile that you always select when opening Enpass, so you will NOT have to replace it on any other device: it stays the same.
In my case this fixed the issue in Windows (on 2 different machines!).

Good luck, hope it solves your issue as well!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2023 at 12:56 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @mrc247

I completely empathize with your disappointment regarding this matter. Rest assured, we are diligently working to uncover the root cause of this issue and implement the necessary fixes. Our primary goal is to provide a smooth user experience, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are actively monitoring this forum and carefully considering the valuable feedback from our users to expedite the resolution process. Your patience and understanding during this time are immensely appreciated.

Please bear with us as we address this concern, and we thank you wholeheartedly for your continued support and cooperation.

Hi Abhishek Dewan,

I just installed the new version 6.9.1 and guess what, the error hasn't been fixed. It's really starting to get ridiculous.

This is only the fourth update in 2023. You might think Enpass will soon be out of support.
How can it be that errors that were reported 10 months ago and are quite simple cannot be fixed?

image.thumb.png.8c220639eae7f7a7659d169476ef540c.png

On 8/18/2023 at 11:00 PM, Robin said:

You select the same Keyfile that you always select when opening Enpass, so you will NOT have to replace it on any other device: it stays the same.
In my case this fixed the issue in Windows (on 2 different machines!).

Good luck, hope it solves your issue as well!

I can confirm that your workaround also works on macOS. It seems all versions (Windows/macOS/Linux) have the same bug.

Thanks again for sharing this simple but effective tip!!!

It's even more ridiculous that as a customer you can't get this information from the official Enpass support or that this simple error is finally fixed.

• 1 month later...

On several of my systems (Windows 10/11, laptops + desktops) for a while now i noticed that Enpass keeps asking me for the Keyfile location.

The "Remember location of keyfile" option doesnt seem to work.

I have tried this on a clean installed Windows 11 to make sure it wasn't an old / dirty Windows installation issue.