Enpass Discussion Forum

Chromebook: Does enpass even work?

t7m

I use a chromebook. I cannot get the app to work in a reasonable way.

The chrome extension shows ENABLE AUTOFILL SERVICE! and it is asking me for ip address and port. What on earth does that mean? I have installed the app for Chromebook, but I guess the extension and the app are not talking to each other?

This is really a horrible first start. Help?

Screenshot 2023-01-05 7.47.12 AM.png

Just an FYI, also having this problem. [Although I'm not nearly as upset about it as t7m seems to be ;-) ]

I am running:
  • Enpass Version 6.8.5.758
  • Enpass Chrome Extension Version 6.8.0
  • Google Chrome/Google ChromeOS Version 108.0.5359.172 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Enpass is running in the background
  • Autofill in Chrome browser (Beta) is version 100.115.92.6:10395

Thank you!

Hi @rorywohl

I'm discussing this case with my team. In the meantime, could you please check and confirm -

1. That you have allowed access to Enpass in your Antivirus/Firewall/VPN settings. Also try disabling them to see if the issue persists. (If you are using such services, do share their names)

2. Also, try clearing the cache and cookies of the browser.

It's a Chromebook, so there's no antivirus installed, the firewall has no settings that a user can access:

I am not running a VPN.

Cleared the cache & cookies & that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, rorywohl said:

It's a Chromebook, so there's no antivirus installed, the firewall has no settings that a user can access:

I am not running a VPN.

Cleared the cache & cookies & that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thank you!

Did you ever get this sorted? I have the same issues on a Chromebook. Enpass is flaky at best. Sometimes the autofill opens Enpass, other times it moans and says the autofill isn't ticked (it is), and still other times absolutely NOTHING happens.

Hi @CeePeeBee

Could you please confirm if you tried the steps I shared in this post? If not, kindly try them and share your findings with me -

1. Ensure that you have ticked the checkbox for AUTOFILL IN CHROME BROWSER under Enpass app Settings → Autofill.
  2. That you have allowed access to Enpass in your Antivirus/Firewall/VPN settings. Also try disabling them to see if the issue persists. (If you are using such services, do share their names)

3. Also, try clearing the cache and cookies of the browser.

If the issue persists, please share the version of the Enpass app and OS you are using.

I never did get this to work consistently.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I can't be clearing the cache & cookies every time it doesn't because I have way too many cookies that save my logins on various web pages.

I am now running version 6.8.7.786 of the Enpass Android app with version 6.8.6 of the Chrome extension on a Chromebook running ChromeOS version 112.0.5615.134 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Oh, this is interesting. Chrome/ChromeOS now has the ability to display any errors that an extension throws. Here's what I just found:

image.png.e110f0c09e8d2ea648541d18142a0100.png

image.png.08f59398b95b08b9a6386268d348b1ad.png

(()=>{'use strict';const e=()=>{var e=(navigator&&navigator.userAgent||'').toLowerCase(),t=(navigator&&navigator.vendor||'').toLowerCase(),n=null!==e.match(/(?:firefox|fxios)\/(\d+)/),o=null!==e.match(/version\/(\d+).+?safari/),r=null!==e.match(/edge\/(\d+)/),s=null!==e.match(/(?:^opera.+?version|opr)\/(\d+)/),i=/google inc/.test(t)?e.match(/(?:chrome|crios)\/(\d+)/):null;return n?'FIREFOX':o?'SAFARI':r?'EDGE':s?'OPERA':null!==i&&!s?'CHROME':void 0};let t=null;const n=e();'SAFARI'!==n&&(t=void 0===n||Object.getPrototypeOf(n)!==Object.prototype?chrome:n);const o=(e,n)=>{const o={command:e,payload:n};'object'==typeof safari&&safari.extension?safari.extension.dispatchMessage(e,n):t.runtime.sendMessage(o)},r=(e,n)=>t.i18n.getMessage(e,n);var s=null,i=!1;const c='support@enpass.io',d=`<a href='mailto:${c}'>${c}</a>`;var l;function a(e){let t=document.getElementById('main_header');e&&(t.textContent=r(e)),t.style.display='block'}function m(){document.getElementById('error_description').style.display='none'}function u(e){let t=document.getElementById('error_highlight_text');e&&(t.textContent=r(e)),t.style.display='block'}function g(){document.getElementById('loader').style.display='block',document.title='Enpass',s=setTimeout((()=>{_()}),2e4)}function _(){document.title='Error Page';let e=document.getElementById('main_header'),t=document.getElementById('error_highlight_text'),n=document.getElementById('error_description'),o=document.getElementById('loader');!function(){let e=document.querySelector('.error-highlight'),t=document.querySelector('.section-header');e.classList.remove('error-highlight--success'),e.classList.add('error-highlight--error'),t.classList.remove('bg-success-header'),t.classList.add('bg-error-header')}(),e.textContent=r('error_static_main_heading'),o.style.display='none',i?(f(!0),t.textContent=r('cb_error_static_highlight'),n.textContent=r('cb_error_static_description',d),n.style.display='block',y()):(t.textContent=r('error_static_highlight'),n.textContent=r('error_static_app_not_found'),n.style.display='block',document.getElementById('footer').style.display='block',function(){const e=document.querySelector('section.body_content');document.getElementById('info_bg_run').textContent=r('instruction_app_installed'),document.getElementById('info_ext_enabled').textContent=r('instruction_extension_enabled'),document.getElementById('download_instruction').textContent=r('instruction_download_app'),document.getElementById('help_text').textContent=r('string_help'),document.getElementById('ques_desktop_app_required').textContent=r('ques_desktop_app_required'),document.getElementById('contact_support').textContent=r('string_contact','support@enpass.io'),e.style.display='block'}())}function y(){document.getElementById('connector-section').classList.add('show'),document.getElementById('connector-section').classList.remove('hide')}function h(){document.getElementById('connector-section').classList.add('hide'),document.getElementById('connector-section').classList.remove('show')}function p(){let e=document.querySelector('.error-highlight'),t=document.querySelector('.section-header');e.classList.remove('error-highlight--error'),e.classList.add('error-highlight--success'),t.classList.remove('bg-error-header'),t.classList.add('bg-success-header')}function E(){document.getElementById('footer').style.display='none'}function I(){document.querySelector('section.body_content').style.display='none'}function f(e){let n=t?t.i18n.getUILanguage():'en';!n||'ar'!==n&&'he'!==n||(e?function(){document.body.style.direction='ltr',document.getElementById('error_description').style.textAlign='left';let e=document.getElementById('retry_link');e.classList.add('retry_link'),e.classList.remove('retry_link_rtl')}():function(){document.body.style.direction='rtl',document.getElementById('error_description').style.textAlign='right';let e=document.getElementById('retry_link');e.classList.remove('retry_link'),e.classList.add('retry_link_rtl')}())}f(),I(),l=e=>{e&&'cros'===e.os?(i=!0,document.getElementById('readmore_link').setAttribute('href','https://link.enpass.io/kb/cb-getting-connection-error/')):i=!1},t.runtime.getPlatformInfo((e=>{l(e)})),document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded',(e=>{!function(){let e=document.getElementById('retry_link'),t=r('retry');e&&t&&(e.textContent=t);let n=document.getElementById('readmore_link'),o=r('learn_more');n&&o&&(n.textContent=o)}(),p();let t=document.getElementById('main_header'),n=document.getElementById('error_highlight_text'),o=document.getElementById('error_description');t.textContent=r('heading_app_lookup'),n.textContent=r('error_static_highlight_3'),o.style.display='none',g()})),document.getElementById('retry_link').addEventListener('click',(e=>{p();let t=document.getElementById('main_header'),n=document.getElementById('error_highlight_text'),s=document.getElementById('error_description');t.textContent=r('heading_app_lookup'),n.textContent=r('error_static_highlight_3'),s.style.display='none',g(),E(),I(),o('retry_connection')}),!0),document.getElementById('connect_btn').addEventListener('click',(e=>{let t=document.getElementById('ip_addr').value,n=document.getElementById('port').value;if(t&&n){let e=`ws://${t}:${n}`;g(),p(),E(),I(),a('heading_app_lookup'),m(),u('error_static_highlight_3'),h(),setTimeout((()=>{o('connect_details',{url:e})}),500),document.getElementById('connection_status').classList.add('hide'),document.getElementById('connection_status').classList.remove('show')}else document.getElementById('connection_status').classList.add('show'),document.getElementById('connection_status').classList.remove('hide')})),(e=>{'object'==typeof safari&&safari.self&&safari.self.addEventListener?safari.self.addEventListener('message',(({name:t,message:n})=>{e(t,n)})):t.runtime.onMessage.addListener(((t,n,o)=>{if(!t)return;const{command:r,payload:s}=t;e(r,s,n,o)}))})((function(t,n,o,i){let c=document.getElementById('main_header'),d=document.getElementById('error_highlight_text'),l=document.getElementById('error_description');switch(t){case'start_app':p(),c.textContent=r('heading_app_lookup'),d.textContent=r('error_static_highlight_3'),l.style.display='none';var f=e();if('EDGE'!==f&&'SAFARI'!==f){var B=document.createElement('iframe');B.src='enpassstart://',document.body.appendChild(B),setTimeout((()=>{document.querySelector('iframe').remove()}),1e3)}else window.location.href='enpassstart://';document.title='Enpass';break;case'show_connection_error':clearTimeout(s),_(),n&&n.show_port&&(y(),E(),I());break;case'connected_to_app':break;case'chromeos_connected':document.getElementById('connection_status').textContent='Connected';break;case'connection_details':n.connected?(g(),p(),E(),I(),a('heading_app_lookup'),m(),u('error_static_highlight_3'),h(),setTimeout((()=>{window.close()}),500)):(_(),document.getElementById('ip_addr').value=n.ip,document.getElementById('port').value=n.port,y())}}))})();

Hi @rorywohl

Our team of experts is looking into this concern for you. However, they require some additional information on this matter. Could you please confirm when you click on the Enpass Extension Icon, does it show any error message, or does clicking on Enpass extension doesn’t perform any action?

We appreciate your cooperation in this case.

Hi Abhishek,

I will do better than telling you what happens, I will show you as well.

Attached is a screen capture showing:

1. A freshly booted chromebook
  2. I click on Enpass to start the application & enter my password
  3. I show you the settings > autofill configuration to verify that autofill is enabled
  4. I start Chrome
  5. I go to discussion.enpass.io
  6. I click the "Existing user? Sign in" link
  7. The "Sign In" dialog appears
  8. I click the Enpass icon
  9. A new tab in Chrome opens saying that Enpass is "Looking for Enpass App..."
  10. Which then changes to the "Connection Error!" message

enpass-chromebook-error.gif

• Like 1

Hi @rorywohl

Thank you for sharing the details.

We were able to reproduce the bug on our end due to which this issue is occurring, and our team is now working on a fix. While we work on fixing this glitch, could you please confirm once you get this error, does the connection between the app and extension gets established automatically or do you have to manually disable/enable the 'Autofill in Chrome browser ( beta)' option from Enpass Autofill settings?

Hi Abhishek,

Once I get the error, the connection between the app and extension does not get established automatically.

I have to manually disable/enable the 'Autofill in Chrome browser ( beta)' option from the Enpass Autofill settings in order for Chrome to "see" Enpass.

Thank you!

- Rory