Enpass Discussion Forum

Is Enpass Still Actively Developped

zazaza

Hi there,

I'm a 1Password 7 user and am searching for a replacement solution supporting self-hosting on Webdav. At my work we are using Enpass which is working fine but, for my personal use, I have more and more doubt.

Why?

I see that Enpass is barely having any update (even minor). It is good the browser plugin got a major update, but that's it in the last few years. There is absolutely no update about any redesign, new feature, nothing that actually indicate Enpass is still actively developed, but rather just maintain to survive. It would be a thing if there were regularly update, but we see that now, there are several months between any minor updates for bug fixes. Bugs which are reported does not seem to be fixed either before months. That's usually either indicate the project is dead or there is a major update being prepared in secret. I see I'm not the only person.

So, actually before I actually buy Strongbox (which is actively developed and which would not be a problem if it just dies as it is using an open format), could you hint if Enpass is still developed. And if yes, then why does it seem dead?

Changing of Password manager is something not to be taking lightly, so I really want to know in what I invest my money and time.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Hi @zazaza

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

I completely understand your point of view, and we are aware of the demand for many feature requests that we receive via forums and email. We are grateful for the feedback we receive regarding any bugs/improvements from our users as-well, and we keep track of every request. Once a fix or new feature is implemented, we let our users know via forums/email.

Moreover, new features undergo certain phases when they are implemented, such as feasibility tests, development, etc, and are only released after a rigorous testing process.

I rather demand that the software is actively developed and good communication. New features are nice, but active maintenance and communication about the current development is an absolute requirement, especially where there are minor updates every 5-6 months only.

I will ask again:

- Is Enpass still actively developed? (or is it basically dead beside a few rare minor maintenance update solving only the most severe bugs)

- If yes, then what is currently going on? Why is there no news for months about what is going on, why does it looks like a dead software? What is the roadmap? Could you communicate a bit more?

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi @zazaza

I will gladly answer your queries -

"Is Enpass still actively developed?"

Enpass is actively being developed. As stated before, we keep track of the feature requests/bugs via our internal system and new features/improvements are released in the subsequent updates.

"If yes, then what is currently going on? "

It is a pleasure to receive feedback from our users. However, developing any new feature requires careful planning, feasibility checks, implementation and testing. As a result, we are unable to provide an ETA simply because we would hate to give false information. Our users are notified via forums and email when a new feature is implemented, or a bug is fixed. You can also check our release notes for any new features/bug fixes when a new version is released.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

"If yes, then what is currently going on? "

It is a pleasure to receive feedback from our users. However, developing any new feature requires careful planning, feasibility checks, implementation and testing. As a result, we are unable to provide an ETA simply because we would hate to give false information. Our users are notified via forums and email when a new feature is implemented, or a bug is fixed. You can also check our release notes for any new features/bug fixes when a new version is released.

I understand it's not possible to give precise information. But you must have some information to share. Some new exciting features or whatever may be interesting and show you are really developing it. Users are not necessarily asking for ETA, but just info to know if something is planned somewhere in the near future. Just to know that you are actually really developping Enpass (and not just telling you are without actually doing it)

I'm testing several password manager. Some developed by larger companies, other by very small teams. In both cases, they have many more updates. Some even share vague information about what's probably coming up this year. Just to show they hear the users, they are actually working hard. Enpass on the opposite is completely opaque, or deaf. That's actually quite worrying.

I noticed I'm not the only person who is wondering what's actually happening. This might definitely cost you users... 

• Like 3

DO NOT BUY ENPASS !!!

This shitty app doesn't work and the support is screwing us all - and has been for years. Anyone reading this who hasn't bought Enpass yet - don't. The app is absolute crap. One employee said in August that the error would be corrected. Then a desperate user asks now (6 months later) and a other employee is asking the same questions about the used version again.

Please don't tell me to reconnect the vaults, reinstall the app and restore the vaults from backup. I've done this 10 times already. And again and again the synchronization stops working after a few days (or just a few hours).

And please don't write that you forward this to your "concerned team". I think that's what your garbage can is called.

It's real crap support.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the official answer to "Is it still actively developped" is: "We don't not say". It of course cannot stand for "yes it is" otherwise you would have said so. So it must then mean "No it is not. It just get minor updates from time to time, more and more rarely". Which also mean Enpass is not longer secure

Thank you for the answer!

Don't buy Enpass. This support sucks. They're kidding us. They've been doing that for years. They write that they will fix the problem in the next update. That never happens. They want a demo account that will never be called. They say that they forward the requests to some teams. That doesn't happen. Everything goes straight to the recycle bin. What's more, Enpass has been evasive in answering questions about security for years. We have to assume that Enpass contains very large security vulnerabilities that have not been fixed for years. I strongly advise against using Enpass. Don't buy Enpass.

• Like 1

Please give me a hint as to whether or not Enpass is still being developed before I go ahead and purchase Strongbox (which is actively developed and whose demise would not be a problem because it uses an open format). If so, what gives it the appearance of being lifeless?

I want to know exactly what I'm getting into before I spend any time and money switching password managers. flyingtogether.ual.com login

I've noticed that Enpass hardly ever gets updated. (even minor). It's great that the browser extension has seen significant development in recent times, but that's all there has been. There has been no news about a redesign, no new features, and no other indication that Enpass is still being actively developed. If updates were made on a regular basis, it might be something, but as it stands, it can be months before even a minor update is released to fix bugs. It appears that reported bugs are not being fixed for months after they are reported. In most cases, that means the project has been scrapped, but it could also mean that a major update is being worked on behind the scenes. Looks like I'm not alone here.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at tweeter, there is only tweets about 2-3 months old blog posts on their website. Seems that even on a marketing level Enpass is dead.

So, we do know now. You implicitly confirmed that Enpass is definitely DEAD. 

Thank you for saving me 100 bucks! I'll invest them either in Strongbox or in Proton Pass.

• Like 1

I don't know what's up with zazaza and Fabian1 on this thread. Feels like unfair anti-Enpass trolling.

For anyone worried, I use Enpass every day on a range of platforms. It's excellent secure software and gets updates as needed to keep it stable.

Valuable new features such as Passkey support are being developed: 

• Thanks 1

I solely based my opinion on observations and facts. 

- Very few minor updates (I use it for work myself. I like it, but as to replace my personal 1Password, I don't want to invest time and money in a dead end).

- There is no proof of active development (beside the usually purely marketing stuff which does not count. Marketing is not engineering!)

- Enpass REFUSES to communicate anything at all, like every single other company actually does.

- Enpass even actually tries to avoid the question.

I don't feel safe investing in Enpass.

On 4/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, zazaza said:

I solely based my opinion on observations and facts. 

- Very few minor updates (I use it for work myself. I like it, but as to replace my personal 1Password, I don't want to invest time and money in a dead end).

- There is no proof of active development (beside the usually purely marketing stuff which does not count. Marketing is not engineering!)

- Enpass REFUSES to communicate anything at all, like every single other company actually does.

- Enpass even actually tries to avoid the question.

I don't feel safe investing in Enpass.

I've been an enpass user for two years now. Safe to say I don't regret buying enpass.Enpass is one of the only password manager that can autofill like butter. As for getting updates... I know enpass doesn't get enough updates but the current version is fine. Also I don't know what bugs other people are talking about but earlier this year enpass had an authentication issue with Dropbox. They fixed the issue and pussed an update within a week. If you still don't want enpass then look into other passowrd managers.(Most of them are disappointing)

• Like 1

I know. we are using Enpass (Free) at my workplace. It works rather well.

My only issue is that I don't want to switch of password manager for my private use and find out in a year or 2 that it's an abandoned software. And Enpass refuses to confirm that it is actively developed. It is just barely maintained. Updates sometimes spaces with 6 months (meaning that Enpass may vulnerable because all their critical open source libraries are not updated.) Enpass is completely opaque. We don't know anything about the future. They just answer bullshit "We cannot give very precise timeline.", even though that was not the question. Like if the answer was written by a poor old chat bot.

How hard is it to share a vague roadmap? All the competitors do it. All the main software companies share information to keep their user interested, to attract new customers, to show they are here, that they are working hard. But not Enpass. Why? That's just suspicious.

TL;DR - "Maybe in the future. In the meantime, your patience is highly appreciated here." 

I've used LastPass Premium for over 9 years (I deleted my account this week) and for me, it's still the best password manager on the market (only in terms of features), but because of the security incident, since the end of last year, I've decided that I needed to change password manager immediately, because worse than the incident itself, was the origin of the incident and the way everything was managed and communicated.

After a lot of research and analysis TOP n Password Managers lists, I ended up purchasing premium licenses for some of the most popular password managers on the market just to be able to do full tests (the FREE version is usually very limited and not all companies offer a TRIAL version).

In some of these searches, I ended up finding Enpass and KeePassXC, which ended up redefining my way of thinking and the requirements regarding security and availability. Think! in the context of a war with an aggressor country invading your country and destroying basic infrastructure; or as in my country (Brazil) where any judge can at any time censor or order the blocking of any Big Tech; imagine losing connection with the server that stores the access credentials to all the services you use, or maybe some legal authority in your country orders the company that keeps all your credentials to provide everything to the government, or at least to implement a backdoor so that you can access the data of a possible "criminal".

Anyway, because it's completely offline (and until today the sniffer has not reported anything significant), I acquired the Enpass license to do tests and ended up officially using it to store my more than 300 logins and confidential information. That way I own my data and have it at my fingertips at all times.

Despite the benefits, I'm still not satisfied with Enpass, mainly because of the situation described by "zazaza" user. Enpass seems like dead software, at least abandoned, it seems that there is only 1 developer taking care of everything, the company does not show activity and here in the forum the answers about new features seem to be issued by a chatbot. There are extremely important and simple to implement features that have been requested for a long time and we don't see the company taking a position showing a Roadmap or a public Issue Tracker, other than posting standardized messages saying that it will be evaluated and maybe it will be done in the future; for example, deleting the password history (the solution given by the company is ridiculous), or saving/filling forms that don't contain a password field (and still responds as if it doesn't understand what we're talking about), and that's because they are resources simple, not something complex like support for digital certificates, biometrics, YubiKey or other types of tokens.

If necessary, make other subscription plans available with higher prices to fund the operations, but give us detailed information on what is entering the sprints or what you intend to deliver this year, maybe next.

Anyway, that's it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, keybits said:

I don't know what's up with zazaza and Fabian1 on this thread. Feels like unfair anti-Enpass trolling.

For anyone worried, I use Enpass every day on a range of platforms. It's excellent secure software and gets updates as needed to keep it stable.

Valuable new features such as Passkey support are being developed: 

The thing is that they promise a lot, look at Yubikey support, it was promised 3 years ago and we still don't have it. Half a year ago the development team was "working on it", still nothing.

Generally people have strong recommendations against a product because they still want to believe in the product. I personally am looking at migrating away from Enpass...

Edited by MoonRaven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MoonRaven said:

The thing is that they promise a lot, look at Yubikey support, it was promised 3 years ago and we still don't have it. Half a year ago the development team was "working on it", still nothing.

Generally people have strong recommendations against a product because they still want to believe in the product. I personally am looking at migrating away from Enpass...

Yeah, I did the same. I migrated to 1Password and never looked back.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 4:06 AM, MoonRaven said:

I got tired of waiting, I migrated to KeePassXC for desktop and KeePassDX for Android. Couldn't be more pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the majority of the comments on lack of development and roadmap for features. 

I have been using Enpass for over a year, year and half now. For the most part works okay, there were hiccups ofc (ie the sync issues), but any software does. That was more or less quickly fixed. So, I'll give them credit for that - they did fix it to make the app stable again.

Now, we have been requesting features and redesign for a long time. All we get in return is "we hear you, we collect the feedback but we can't tell you when it will happen". It's been years in some cases and there's nothing. 

This is not trolling as it was stated by one of the comments, this is concerning because you simply cannot expect any new feature because it's not announced. Every time we get vague responses by the so called support. It's a terrible business model. It's terrible that the "support" is done here and they dont have a designated support desk. I work for a company with an online forum with a huge user base (over 1.5m users), we're a small team and yet, we use Freshdesk and users can raise a ticket and get an actual private reply to their query. It's just that we value our customers and want to provide them the best and quickest support possible.

How Enpass handles their customer support shows a red flag despite how you look at it. That's my personal opinion.

And yes, I am also looking into other options again. 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:06 AM, Dani said:

I agree with the majority of the comments on lack of development and roadmap for features. 

I have been using Enpass for over a year, year and half now. For the most part works okay, there were hiccups ofc (ie the sync issues), but any software does. That was more or less quickly fixed. So, I'll give them credit for that - they did fix it to make the app stable again.

Now, we have been requesting features and redesign for a long time. All we get in return is "we hear you, we collect the feedback but we can't tell you when it will happen". It's been years in some cases and there's nothing. 

This is not trolling as it was stated by one of the comments, this is concerning because you simply cannot expect any new feature because it's not announced. Every time we get vague responses by the so called support. It's a terrible business model. It's terrible that the "support" is done here and they dont have a designated support desk. I work for a company with an online forum with a huge user base (over 1.5m users), we're a small team and yet, we use Freshdesk and users can raise a ticket and get an actual private reply to their query. It's just that we value our customers and want to provide them the best and quickest support possible.

How Enpass handles their customer support shows a red flag despite how you look at it. That's my personal opinion.

And yes, I am also looking into other options again. 

Like even having a public bug tracker would help next to a roadmap. I've seen a lot of "Our dedicated team is currently looking into this concern, and we will provide you with an update as soon as possible" (which never comes), "Please note that we already have a feature request for the same and aligned for implementation in the future." over 2 years after the initial request with a "Support for Yubikey is already on our development roadmap." years later it's still not here and there still isn't any ETA. It is baffling that simple changes are always added to a backlog that never seems to clear. You'd think that enpass gets enough money to at least have 1 developer dedicated on the product, yet when I look at the changelog, I highly doubt that.

I personally am hosting a Vaultwarden server with a bitwarden frontend. Not 100% happy with it, but at least it is being updated a lot.

Man.. A roadmap would be nice, even if it was without estimated dates.

Edited by MoonRaven

I bought Enpass Pro as a lifetime back then. Then came this shit Premium. There hasn't been any further development at Enpass for months. Possibly with business.

If I had an Enpass subscription, I would have canceled long ago.

Unfortunately, the market doesn't look much better anywhere. I don't know of any good alternatives.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, dan45 said:

I bought Enpass Pro as a lifetime back then. Then came this shit Premium. There hasn't been any further development at Enpass for months. Possibly with business.

If I had an Enpass subscription, I would have canceled long ago.

Unfortunately, the market doesn't look much better anywhere. I don't know of any good alternatives.

I can suggest you two good alternatives: Bitwarden (it's completely free and if you want 1GB to store your files you have to pay 10$/year) or 1Password (it doesn't have a free plan and it's more expensive than Bitwarden, but it's one if not the best password manager)

I switched to 1Password and never looked back.

Edited by nicos18
  • Like 1

Yes a view days ago I tested another apps, Nordpass, Bitwarden, 1Password, Dashlane, ..

But the best I seen is 1Password. So I have migrated and use the trial. I think I will use this in the feature. It is very great.

Enpass is only telling they will do anything, but nothing happens. My confidence is slowly gone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:20 PM, zazaza said:

There is absolutely no update about any redesign, new feature, nothing that actually indicate Enpass is still actively developed, but rather just maintain to survive.

Let me say that most of us are quite happy with a working solution that's being maintained. The notion that good things need constant changes is idiotic. What's important are bug fixes and adaption to OS and browser changes. No one needs re-designs which tend to make everything worse and forces the user to change his way of using the app. 1Password might be getting more upgrades but requires a subscription. I'd rather pay just once and use the features I get until I might decide to pay for some upgrade, instead of constant feature creep where most of those features are useless.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:37 AM, zazaza said:

I've decided to stay with 1Password and now pay their rather expensive subscriptions.

If this is what suits you better, just do it, instead of coming here to demand Enpass becomming more like it. I switched three years ago and did not regret it. Sadly the thing about bugs and support is true. If something is broken, expect it to stay broken for a loooong time. I experienced this with iCloud sync and WebDAV if the URL contains whitespace, so I'm currently using Google Drive to sync.  On the other hand I didn't have to pay another cent in three years, which is totally worth it. But I've also seen bugs being fixed, like the problem where changed passwords could be overwritten with old ones when the item was used on another device before the sync finished. Sure I wish that more bugs were fixed and would be more than happy to pay for an upgrade if it included things like PassKey support, but I don't need constant updates just so see something change.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:17 AM, zazaza said:

Which also mean Enpass is not longer secure

There is no reason to asume anything like that. It has been audited at least once, and if you don't do fundamental changes to the way synchronization and encryption works, that won't change. Fixing bugs and adding features to the GUI won't affect that.

Edited by Bachsau
  • Like 4