Enpass Discussion Forum

Roadmap for Enpass Development

rps

Hello,

You have a good product with a great opportunity for a self hosted password manager that the rest of the market has abandoned in favor of centralized cloud storage.

I think much of the frustration with your product shown here on the forums could be alleviated by defining a road map for your project with defined projects and bugs that are in development. This would help communicate to your customers that development is ongoing and provide insight to time lines.

It wouldn't take much to squash many of the UX bugs that currently make the product clunky to use and greatly improve the overall experience.

Please help us understand the direction that Enpass is going. Everyone is here to replace 1Password / LastPass and their cloud based systems, give us the assurance that this is a product worth getting behind.

Hi @rps

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

I certainly understand your point. There is an active development effort underway for Enpass. In addition to tracking feature requests and bugs via our internal software, we also release new features/improvements in subsequent updates. It is always a pleasure to hear feedback from our users. Planning, feasibility checks, implementation, and testing are all necessary for developing a new feature or fixing a bug. In order to avoid giving inaccurate information, we are not able to provide an ETA or share any roadmap at the moment. When we add a new feature or fix a bug, we notify our users via email and forums. When a new version is released, you can also check our release notes to see what new features/bug fixes are included.

• Like 1

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate that.

I would encourage the Enpass team to share as much as possible for any upcoming release information. A password manager is a critical component for daily workflow for me and many of your users. I am in a position where it is just difficult and clunky enough to use Enpass, that without guidance on future update cycle. I'm tempted to switch back to my old password manager until this becomes a more viable option.

Again, this is mostly related to UX bugs, not future feature development. The pieces are there, they just need to work better.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I saw several posts from people complaining that Enpass is pratically dead, and I hate to say this but it's true; new features aren't practically added and I created two ticket for feature requests and those ticked are gone!

I am seriously thinking moving to another password manager as Enpass is gone!

I also think that the project, I'm not saying it's dead, but it's greatly slowed down, I think it has entered a phase of maintenance only, bug fixes only, just look at the release-notes, the last real update with new features was the 6.7.4, then only improvements nothing big.

I think they invested a lot of time in compliant with the certifications (ISO27001:2013).

Next July my premium plan will expire, and before renewing it I'm evaluating alternatives, in particular bitwarden, always self hosted, but unlike enpass and very open to the community there is a road map.

I strongly hope I'm wrong and that the project is alive instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, sixdas said:

I also think that the project, I'm not saying it's dead, but it's greatly slowed down, I think it has entered a phase of maintenance only, bug fixes only, just look at the release-notes, the last real update with new features was the 6.7.4, then only improvements nothing big.

I think they invested a lot of time in compliant with the certifications (ISO27001:2013).

Next July my premium plan will expire, and before renewing it I'm evaluating alternatives, in particular bitwarden, always self hosted, but unlike enpass and very open to the community there is a road map.

I strongly hope I'm wrong and that the project is alive instead.

Yeah, I also think that Enpass is in a maintenance only phase because the latest updates with a few new features was launched last september.

And beside this for them to just introduce support for TOTP codes long than 100 characters took two months and the latest Enpass version 6.8.X is verry buggy; it crashes often, and it's too slow.

• Sad 1

Yes, even just getting a solid bug update release out would be a great step forward!

With classic 1password browser support coming to an end in the near future, now is the perfect time to show that Enpass is a true replacement and a polished product.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, rps said:

Hello,

You have a good product with a great opportunity for a self hosted password manager that the rest of the market has abandoned in favor of centralized cloud storage.

I think much of the frustration with your product shown here on the forums could be alleviated by defining a road map for your project with defined projects and bugs that are in development. This would help communicate to your customers that development is ongoing and provide insight to time lines.

It wouldn't take much to squash many of the UX bugs that currently make the product clunky to use and greatly improve the overall experience.

Please help us understand the direction that Enpass is going. Everyone is here to replace 1Password / LastPass and their cloud based systems, give us the assurance that this is a product worth getting behind.

Enpass has golden opportunity to take over 1Password past customers who want local storage + license model not subscription but Enpass development seems very stale and there is a lot of polishing that needs to be done

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:57 PM, flyingbirds said:

Enpass has golden opportunity to take over 1Password past customers who want local storage + license model not subscription but Enpass development seems very stale and there is a lot of polishing that needs to be done

Yup, Enpass could've been a market leader if it actually was something they still wanted to develop...

• Like 1

People expect Enpass to come back with new and improved features, but it's unclear what's happening behind the scenes.No buddy has even a clue if enpass is even planning to release any new version with major upgrades including new features. They have made features request section in forum, but mostly those requests get noted than no buddy knows if anyone is even working on them. The response received only acknowledges that the request has been forwarded and that it will be reviewed. However, there is no indication as to when the requested feature will be implemented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnakinCaesar said:

if you take a look at the copyright notice in your app on PC or MAC you can see it's only listed from 2006 - 2021. So I guess that's the point where they officially gave up?xD

Yes, maybe you're right. I don't think they forgot to update the year because it's almost 2 years.

But I'd like an official statement about the development of Enpass, wheter it's being active or dead.

• Like 2

@Abhishek Dewan To be clear, at the moment I'm not even concerned with new features, I just want all of the existing features to work smoothly and without crashing! Make this look like 1Password from 8 years ago and you have a winner.

I haven't seen a bug fix release since I purchased 6 months ago and as shown here, many of your other customers are having the same concerns.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you're going to shutter this project so I can understand if there's any logical path for picking up the development work here and carrying it forward.

• Confused 1

On 6/22/2023 at 11:22 AM, AnakinCaesar said:

if you take a look at the copyright notice in your app on PC or MAC you can see it's only listed from 2006 - 2021. So I guess that's the point where they officially gave up?xD

Funny thing is that they can just programmatically take the datetime of the computer and use the year from that for the copyright notice...

On 6/21/2023 at 4:43 AM, Fadi said:

People expect Enpass to come back with new and improved features, but it's unclear what's happening behind the scenes.No buddy has even a clue if enpass is even planning to release any new version with major upgrades including new features. They have made features request section in forum, but mostly those requests get noted than no buddy knows if anyone is even working on them. The response received only acknowledges that the request has been forwarded and that it will be reviewed. However, there is no indication as to when the requested feature will be implemented.

They keep saying things are forwarded to the development team. That may be true, even if the development team consists of 0 people :/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2023 at 5:43 AM, Fadi said:

My only guess is that the team is too small for this task and unable to match 1password 500 employee power.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:35 PM, rps said:

@Abhishek Dewan To be clear, at the moment I'm not even concerned with new features, I just want all of the existing features to work smoothly and without crashing! Make this look like 1Password from 8 years ago and you have a winner.

I haven't seen a bug fix release since I purchased 6 months ago and as shown here, many of your other customers are having the same concerns.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you're going to shutter this project so I can understand if there's any logical path for picking up the development work here and carrying it forward.

I too would like to know if Enpass is being deprecated so I can invest my time with a more serious project. It was my #1 choice after abandoning 1password for their squeezescription model but if they are throwing the white towel I might as well just migrate to a more active project.

Password storage is high priority software, it can not be neglected and one better be safe than sorry. Can't recommend Enpass as a security haven currently for any one I know compared to the competition.

• Like 1