Enpass Discussion Forum

PassKey Storage & Sync in Enpass

FuN_KeY

Passkeys are foreseen as the future and are meant to end passwords as we know them.

Still, they have one major pitfall: cross platform sync.

I strongly believe that Enpass should hop on this train and support it asap. Other big names are already hopping in (Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1PasswordPasskeys in Dashlane – Dashlane, https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwarden/comments/xpywl7/comment/iq6lrq2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3) and it will be a key differentiator.

It does not look good, because Webauthn - one of the foundations of passkeys is (was?) not on the roadmap: Support WebAuthn - Feature requests - Enpass Discussion Forum

Edited by FuN_KeY
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With articles seeming to pop up every month like this one about Dashlane supporting passkeys or 1Password supporting passkeys by this summer, or with big names like Google, Microsoft, and Apple committing to support for FIDO standards, it makes me question -- is Enpass going to stay ahead of the curve and prioritize passkeys into the Enpass roadmap, or are we going to get left behind playing catch up for the next few years?

I know the list of sites currently supporting passkeys is still small, but the list is ever-growing and this seems to be the future that is coming. With big tech adopting passkeys, seems like smaller sites will soon follow suit (see Microsoft, Paypal and Google)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the stable release of the FIDO PassKey specification across Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, the future seems to be moving away from passwords - finally!

For Enpass, supporting these seems like the logical next step. It's a great cross-platform tool for syncing an encrypted vault, and syncing a PassKey is really nothing more than syncing a private key. It's more data, so it might require architectural work (treating passkeys like attachments under the hood, assigned to their own files, for better incremental sync), but I think it's achievable.

An MVP implementation might start with only QR code-based auth, and implement OS/browser integrations later as the platforms begin to provide APIs for it.

1Password is rolling out support for them this year, and I think it would put Enpass would be at a long term competitive disadvantage if support wasn't planned.

Enpass remains my favorite tool thanks to the "dumb" local encryption and sync options it provides, and I hope to continue to be able to use it as we transition slowly off of passwords for authentication.

All the best, Enpass team!

Edited by Noah Williams
  • Like 1

Hi @Noah Williams

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the possibility of Enpass supporting PassKey, which is gaining popularity across different platforms. As an FIDO Alliance member, we are dedicated to providing a secure solution for managing passwords, and our team is already aware of the request for this feature, rest assured, Enpass will provide support for PassKeys soon.

We also agree with you that supporting a PassKey, will be a logical step for Enpass, given our core focus on providing a secure, cross-platform tool for syncing encrypted vaults.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable feedback and for choosing Enpass as your preferred password manager.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Hi @Abhishek Dewan

Hi @Noah Williams

I am glad to hear that Enpass is planning to support FIDO Passkey soon, as was reported here in the forum. Is there already a plan when the Enpass version with Passkey will be available? iOS 16, Android 9, Windows Helo already support Passkeys in my opinion. Enpass, i.e. a comprehensive solution, can absolutely score points here for all those who, like me, are on the way with several operating systems (Linux, Win, macos, iOS, android in my case). But the availability of the Enpass version with keypass support will be very crucial. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think this will be implemented any sooner. Because people have been requesting many useful major features but i have never seen them being implemented. Development in enpass is very very slow. No new features but few bug fixes in every update. I just hope they will listen to us and implement because if they don't it's gonna bad and people will move to other better available options. We love enpass but when it comes to lack of features it hurts us as i have been using almost every available password manager i can see not every password manager is perfect but that's why we are here in first place to suggest and help enpass to become better than all others. I just hope it happens sooner or enpass will lose it's customers.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

First important step to passkey-sync functionality described on the blog post:

https://www.enpass.io/blog/security/enpass-steps-into-the-passwordless-future-with-passkey-management-for-ios/

But even more important is the declaration there:

"And we’re excited to be bringing the simplicity and security of synced passkeys to Mac, Windows, Android and Linux very soon as well."

Fingers Crossed! (no moji for that ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...