Enpass Discussion Forum

Data location points to local folder in Windows eventhough the primary vault is configured to Dropbox

Suresh Bala

Hello,

I have a windows installation of enpass. It is configured to use Dropbox as the primary vault. But instead of using Dropbox as the primary vault, it uses a local vault in the C drive (C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Packages\SinewSoftwareSystems.EnpassPasswordManager_fwdy0m65qb6h2\LocalState\Vaults\primary) as pointed to by the 'Data Location' in the Advanced tab of Settings. Any changes I make seem to be made against the local vault and not against the dropbox vault.

I would like my enpass instance to use the Dropbox vault so that i can access it in my mobile also. I have the premium version of enpass. Please advise.

Thanks, Suresh.

Hi @Suresh Bala

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

As Enpass is an offline password manager, all your data is stored locally on your device. We provide our users with the option to synchronize their Enpass data between their devices and it is completely optional.

To set up synchronization between your Desktop and mobile device, please refer to the below steps -

Steps for your device on which Enpass is already set up and running (Desktop device)-

You can set up cloud sync on your device by going to - Setting’s → Vaults → Select the Vault for which you would like to setup sync → Setup Sync → Select the cloud → Continue.

Steps for your other/new devices (Mobile handset) -

On the welcome screen of the Enpass application on your device, choose Restore Existing -> Cloud account to which you synced the details above → Enter Vault password → Continue . All the passwords will be synced to your device.

Hi @Abhishek Dewan, thanks for an elaborate response.  I already have the cloud vault (dropbox) configured in my Desktop instance of Enpass (I have been using Enpass for many years now and this cross-device access using dropbox used to work before). When I change anything in the desktop, i see the changes made only on the local valult and not in my dropbox vault. i can ascertain this by looking at the timestamp of your db files and also by checking in my mobile. The mobile install of Enpass is configured to go against the dropbox vault - when i change something in the desktop, i am not seeing those changes in the mobile. But, if i change any detail through the mobile device, i see that the dropbox vault is changed and the db file timestamp in dropbox changes. I even tried clicking the "Sync Now" button against my dropbox vault in the desktop instance (Settings -> Vaults), but it does not seem to do anything. 

BTW, in your instruction, you have stated Setting’s → Vaults → Select the Vault for which you would like to setup sync → Setup Sync. I do not see a setup sync - i see only a + Add new vault. Also, if i try to disconnect the existing dropbox vault so that i can try to reconnect and check, i am not able to disconnect the existing dropbox vault either - Clicking on Disconnect takes me to the next page with the option to delete data and shows another Disconnect button. If i click on that Disconnect button, i am just taken back to the Vault Settings page and the dropbox vault continues to remain.

Edited by Suresh Bala

Hi @Suresh Bala

On the devices on which you are facing this concern (your Desktop device), please try the below steps -

1. Take a backup of the Enpass Data on your device from Enpass Settings → Vaults → Select the Vault → Backup.

2. Uninstall the Enpass app from Enpass Settings → Advanced → Erase everything.

3. Reinstall the app and restore using the backup file.

4. Sync the Vault with the cloud service of your choice (Dropbox in this case).

The above steps should synchronize your Desktop device with rest of your devices via Dropbox.

• Thanks 1