Enpass Discussion Forum

First Beta of Enpass 6 for macOS is out!

Vikram Dabas

19 hours ago, niemalsnever said:

Just created two demo accounts and sent the details your way. Why I created 2 accounts is explained in that e-mail.

Also I've just found another bug. If you have two displays attached to your Mac (like internal display, plus one external display) which have a different resolution, Enpass Mini (or whatever the menu bar thing is called) is cut off and only the bottom half is showing on the external display. First screenshot, internal display, second screenshot, external display. Internal display 13" @ 1440x900, external display 24" @ 1920x1080 (connected via VGA). Still on macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta 4.

Hi @niemalsnever

Thanks for sharing the demo accounts. The problem has been identified, and it will be resolved in the coming beta update. Also, the issue regarding Enpass Assistant on multi-monitors is shared with the team for further investigation.

15 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

1) Both devices are MacBook Pros (2009 & 2010) running 10.11.6

2) I think the order in which things happened was:

• create new item by hand
  • realize while creating it that Enpass doesn't have an appropriate icon
  • save anyway so the record is there while I go hunt for the custom icon I want
  • go back to the record after finding an icon, click Edit, click icon, click the (+) to add my own
  • (I'll skip the part where I tried 4-5 icons before figuring out that a custom icon has to be exactly 200x200 — Enpass needs to scale, not crop!)
  • after finally getting the icon I want, I'm done on Computer 1
  • Later, I'm setting up Enpass 6 on Computer 2, and you can pick up the narrative from my original Steps above.

3) So far I've only tried custom icons with one item that is in a shared vault, so I don't know about recreating. Sorry.

Hi @100 Watt Walrus

The information has been passed on to the testing team. We appreciate your patience on this matter while we investigates this further.

Hi @Lewisl

Sorry for the trouble you're going through.

I would like to share that in macOS database is saved inside the Containers, which is not deleted when you uninstall the app. To start with the new keychain, you need to manually delete that folder. To do, so please follow these steps:

• Quit Enpass (If running).
  • Go to User --> Library Folder--> Containers --> Select in.sinew.Enpass6-Desktop- Beta -->  Data --> Documents --> Select Enpass6-Beta folder  --> Delete it.
  • Now open Enpass, it will prompt you a welcome screen.

NOTE: Usually Library folder is hidden, so make it visible by pressing and holding the Option key.

Hope this helps!

NEW ISSUE:

When I have a particular tag or category selected in the sidebar, then I go hit the [+] to create a new item, I expect Enpass to assume I want to create an item within that tag or category. This doesn't happen.

ALSO:

Tags need to be located near the top of the Edit Item screen — I'd suggest right after URL. Having to scroll all the way to the bottom on some of those templates is a significant hassle. All the fields you're most likely to use should be at the top: User, email, pass, URL, tags.

BTW, when creating your own template, there doesn't seem to be any way to add a Tags field or a Notes field. It turns out they show up on their own, but that's not at all clear when you're in the process of creating the template, and not having them available also makes it impossible to choose where they go. I want Tags at the top and Security Questions below Notes (which I need far more often), but as near as I can tell, that's not possible in Enpass. (And when creating a new item, [Add Field], [Add Section] and [Add Attachment] should be at the bottom, not taking up room in the middle, forcing uses to scroll to get to Tags and Notes.)

ALSO:

There are too many steps to creating a new item. In Enpass 5, you could just click [+] > Login, and you'd be entering your data. Now there's a whole extra step in which you have to choose a template, 90% of which I'll never use, and at least half of which I've never heard of. At the very least, allow users to audit/delete/hide templates so they're not having to scroll through dozens they'll never use on the off chance that one they might want could be in there somewhere.

Here's the thing: How different, really, are those dozens of templates? I mean, other than the icon (which you can add yourself), what's the point of having a template for, say, AccuWeather? Especially when you don't have templates or icons for any other weather service? There really only needs to be separate templates for separate kinds of accounts that might have very different fields. If you have 40 templates that all have the same fields, you're just making it more difficult than is necessary for creating new items.

And on the subject, in addition to being able to delete custom icons, users need to be able to delete custom templates too. If you make a mistake on a template or icon, you shouldn't have to live forever with that clutter in your Enpass UI.

BTW, creating a new item is one area where the Windows-like UI falls down: Click [+]...wait for Add Item overlay to load...click "Login"...wait for Choose Template to load...click "Default"...wait for Add screen to load. It's less than a second each time, but do a test: Create a new item in Enpass 5 for Mac, then do the same in Enpass 6. Enpass 6 takes at least twice as long. Enpass 5 was quick and easy. Very much not the case in Enpass 6.

Overall, still happy with the new version. But the user-friendliness needs some work. :)

Another request: Templates you've made yourself should be grouped at the top of Templates. Short of that, they should at least be recognized in alphabetical order. I put parentheses around the name of my template, assuming that would make it appear at the top (as happens with file names in the Finder), but no dice. Every template I made myself is at the bottom: 207 templates down. That's a lot of scrolling. (I know I can search, but that's beside the point. I should be able to get to my templates that I know I will use almost every time without the extra steps.)

BTW, why aren't templates in alphabetical order? And also, BTW, the scrolling throughout Enpass 6 is not at all smooth. I just scrolled through all the templates to count them for making my point above, and it was difficult to scroll to any precise point.

:)

Hi @Lewisl 

Thanks for writing back.

3 hours ago, Lewisl said:

I don't want to delete the valid keychain I use with Enpass 5.x.  I thought I could run in parallel. 

There might be some misunderstanding. Enpass 6 will be installed as a separate, parallel application that will not interfere with your existing Enpass 5 installation or it's database. Deleting the Enpass 6 Beta file won't affect your current Enpass 5 database and it's completely safe. However, if you afraid to delete you can just rename the Enpass6-Beta folder as previous Enpass6-Beta folder and start with a fresh database in Enpass 6.

Hope this clarifies!

I'm happy that there's a beta for MacOS now. I was unfortunately sad to realise that enpass 6 doesn't grab favicons from homepages either. I was told that this was a feature of enpass 6 a while back while emailing with support. Is this something that will be added soon? This is the only reason I'm not using enpass yet. I have a  hard time reading on a computer screen so for me, the automated favicons are a life saver since I'm able to distinguish them more clearly than I can read the titles. Now that most of the passwords for homepages have the same browser icon I have a really difficult time to distinguish between them. I don't feel like customizing 500+ icons on my own, it would take me the rest of my life to achieve. I attached an image just to prove my point. You can compare a "different" password manager where all favicons are generated. It makes it so much easier for me. These entries almost all start with the letter B and have the same icon in enpass. For me that becomes almost impossible to read.

Hoping for a positive reply regarding this! Keep up the great work!

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 13.30.24.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 13.43.26.jpg

Edited by david
added an image to compare

On 8/11/2018 at 4:35 AM, david said:

enpass 6 doesn't grab favicons from homepages either

FYI, I'm pretty sure that's coming soon. This is just the first beta build, and I remember seeing somewhere that grabbing favicons isn't in this build, but it will be in a future build. Can't find where I saw that right now, but I'm pretty sure...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi @david

The Favicon support is coming in the next beta release. We appreciate your patience.

Great news! I'm glad to hear it!

I have noticed a migration-problem. I wouldn't call it a bug but it might be fixable. I imported 500+ login details from .pif (1password..) and most of them seem to have been imported correctly but there were a few issues. Many of the usernames and passwords dit not end up as username and password in enpass but as "additional details" instead which means that they won't work unless I edit them manually and move the details from one field to the other. I see no common denominator, it seems to have happened at random through out my logins. The other thing is attachments. Is it possible to have attachments imported as well? It's a big job to go through them all and upload them to the correct login manually. It would definitely make the process of migrating easier.

I really love how the browser-extension works, it's great! I second the issue with multiple monitors, the assistant barely shows up at all on my screen unless I unplug my second monitor..

I'm really looking forward to this application getting to the non-beta stages, It really is improving a lot. This will definitely become my go to!

workaround for Import problem from 1password

I have now found a workaround for the import problem from 1password. If I export a pif file from 1password, there's no way to edit the labels and then the username and password field changes to "usr" and "pwd" in enpass for some reason and gets put in as additional details instead. If I instead export from 1password a csv file and make sure to check the "include column labels" and "all fields". I'm able to import this file to enpass6 without issue. Don't know if this is the correct forum to write this but I thought it would be since it's about the beta for mac.

Edit: I just noticed that I was wrong.. everything got imported to additional details instead. I didn't notice at first since they all looked the same.. So instead of a few, none of the logins are correct. I can find no way to export from 1password and import to enpass6 and get the fields correct.

Edited by david
I was wrong..

Was just fiddling around with creating my own Categories, and found that once you do, you're a little bit stuck.

When you go to create a new Item in that category, you're told "No templates found in this category. You can add a new template from Customize settings."

A couple points here:

1) It's impossible to get to Settings directly from Add Item (CMD + comma should open Settings/Preferences regardless of where you are in the app — this is part of the Mac-unfriendly UI people have mentioned upthread — I can live with this UI, but as I noted previously, it does make the Mac version of Enpass feel like an afterthought porting of PC software, and this version is definitely not as easy or intuitive as Enpass 5 for Mac)

2) When creating a new category, adding templates to it should be part of the process (obviously you need templates for your category)

3) Having to go to an entirely different place in the app to do this is very user-unfriendly

4) Short of fixing #2 (thereby also fixing #3), at the very least the instructions should be clear:

- "You can add a new template by going to Settings > Customize > Templates"

5) HOWEVER, Once in Settings > Customize > Templates, it's impossible to assign any existing templates to the new category. You have to either create a new template or duplicate an existing one.

SUGGESTIONS:

a) When creating a new category, there should be an option of moving existing Items into that category

b) When creating a new category, there should be an option for including exiting templates in that category

c) CMD + comma (and Enpass menu > Preferences) should bring up Preferences no matter where you are in the app (and they should come up in their own window, as is standard for Mac apps)

Speaking of Categories (previous post), I'd like to suggest some changes:

1) Credit cards are Finance — I don't understand why they're separate

2) Insurance should be separate from Finance

3) Shopping should be a category (Amazon, Target, eBay, Etsy, etc.)

4) Social should be a category (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.)

5) Utilities should be a category (gas, electricity, phone, internet, etc.)

6) Maybe Media as its own category (Netflix, Hulu, Roku, Vudu, Kanopy, JustWatch, etc.)

Or maybe categories could just be user-editable, so I could put Credit Card into Finance and remove Insurance from Finance?

Also, I'd much rather have just one template called "website" than dozens upon dozens of literally identical templates that differ only in their icon and URL (both of which can be added by the user in seconds, once the custom icon UI works better by just scaling an image instead of making a mess of any image that isn't exactly 200x200). This way I'm not stuck with tons of templates I'll literally never use and just get in the way. (Maybe others feel differently.)

Also the Add UI is in dire need of a Back button. If you accidentally click the wrong template, you have to start over from scratch.

Hello All,

I am looking secure cross-platform data holder, and looks found your product will be probably the best. Installed trial version and also beta Enpass6. Looks like Enpass6 with ongoing features will be the best for my choice. It would be nice if you can answer some questions and take attention on my comments:

1. What is the sell strategy will be for Enpass6 and future releases? I would like to pay once and have no subscription fee in the future (like 1Password did some time ago). I prefer to store my encrypted data locally and handle synchronization by myself (using OwnCloud, or file storage) and no need to use public clouds.

2. In the Enpass6 Desktop MacOs version there are lack of import database type (for example, HandySafe removed from Enpass6 but still exists in Enpass5).

3. I want to change default vaults location of Enpass6 MacOs. But when I move ~/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass6-Desktop-Beta/Data/Documents/Enpass6-Beta/Vaults to custom location and make symbolic link, application crashes during startup. Could you please to make option to choose default vaults location? I prefer to use custom location on mounted encrypted filesystem instead of default home directory (even if can be also encrypted).

Is there planed release date for Enpass6?

Thanks.

Hi @100 Watt Walrus,

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions that you have provided. I've noted it down and forwarded to the concerned team for further consideration. Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to share your valuable ideas.

12 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

CMD + S does not save in Add or Edit Item. The only way to save is the physically click the SAVE button.

Noted and fix will be available in the subsequent beta update.

Cheers!

Hi @Donald 

Thanks for using Enpass and I'm glad to know that it reaches your expectation.

21 hours ago, Donald said:

1. What is the sell strategy will be for Enpass6 and future releases? I would like to pay once and have no subscription fee in the future (like 1Password did some time ago). I prefer to store my encrypted data locally and handle synchronization by myself (using OwnCloud, or file storage) and no need to use public clouds.

You needn't worry about it and take it as a word from me that we will stick to our current business model for individual users. It is also confirmed that you would not be forced to switch to any subscription model.

2. In the Enpass6 Desktop MacOs version there are lack of import database type (for example, HandySafe removed from Enpass6 but still exists in Enpass5).

Sorry to say but currently we don't have any such plans to add more import functionality. However, I have noted down your suggestion for further consideration. In the meantime, you can import Handysafe password manager data into Enpass 5 and later on you can restore it in Enpass 6 using the steps mentioned in this post.

3. I want to change default vaults location of Enpass6 MacOs. But when I move ~/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass6-Desktop-Beta/Data/Documents/Enpass6-Beta/Vaults to custom location and make symbolic link, application crashes during startup. Could you please to make option to choose default vaults location? I prefer to use custom location on mounted encrypted filesystem instead of default home directory (even if can be also encrypted).

Currently the Enpass v6 default store it's database inside the sandbox. However, I have noted down your suggestion and forwarded to the concerned team for further consideration.

Is there planed release date for Enpass6?

At the moment I can't assure you any ETA. 

Hope this answer your questions.

21 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions that you have provided. I've noted it down and forwarded to the concerned team for further consideration. Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to share your valuable ideas.

I'm always happy to get involved when I find just the right software for me. I've fiddled around with several password managers, and Enpass is the clear winner. Very happy to be part of the beta. Cheers!

• Like 1

Another problem/suggestion:

About 30 times now, I have accidentally closed an item that I wasn't done editing by hitting [Enter] when I finished typing a tag name.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather have only CMD+S be the only way to save and close the item, and have [Enter] be used to signal the completion of a field.

For example, if I'm editing an item to change the password, and then add a note about the date on which I made that change, my natural flow would be to change the password, then hit [Enter] to indicate I was done in that field. (I would not [Tab] in this case because I'm very specifically not moving on to the next field.) Then I would click on Notes and add my note. Then I would use CMD+S to save my changes and exit the item.

Oh, and that's another big problem: CMD+S doesn't do anything when you're creating/editing an item. CMD+S should always save and close the item, regardless of what you end up doing with the [Enter] key.

I'm back again with another request:

Please add the ability to create additional "notes" fields in custom templates.

(I tried adding Text fields, but they're one line of text only, and therefore are useless for different categories of notes.)

Use case: I keep 3 different kinds of notes on each item. Here's how I'd like to set up my custom default template:

• Account name/Company/Whatever
  • URL
  • Login (username or email)
  • Password
  • Email (if not the same as login)
  • Account details — this is a particular kind of note where I include..
    • Serial#s
    • Recovery information (e.g., alternate email addy)
    • What personal identifying info I've provided (DOB, address, etc.)
    • How much the subscription costs
    • What you get for the price (e.g., Microsoft 365 includes 5 users, who each get 1TB of OneDrive, etc., etc.)
    • Support ph#s and operational hours (this is why a "phone" field by itself isn't of use to me)
    • Other contact information
  • Notes — general notes for information like...
    • Why I created the account
    • Experience-related information, for example...
      • "terrible phone support - use chat instead"
      • How to navigate to where PDF bills can be downloade
    • Things I need to do related to this account (e.g., "remember to sign up for user forums")
  • Events — history of my account
    • 2018-01-01 created account
    • 2018-02-01 signed up for paperless billing
    • 2018-03-01 forced to create new password
    • 2018-05-01 opted out of mailing list

Yes, I could use the single existing Notes field for all of this, but that makes for very a cluttered field. So I'd like to see the option of adding more "Notes" fields.

I'd also like the ability to put any and all notes fields wherever I want in the template, not just at at the bottom. For example, I'd like to have Security Questions at the very, very bottom of my template — below Notes — because I'm going to need access to the notes 100x more often than I'll ever need access to the Security Questions (emergencies only, really).

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus

New suggestion: In the ITEM layout, the Password label (and in the Bank template, the Transaction Password) are awkwardly placed, in that they don't line up next to the field they're labeling. Instead then line up next to the password strength meter. I realize this is because the label is in the middle of all three pieces of password UI (field, strength, "generate" button). But it's really confusing and unintuitive, and it's inconsistent: The Notes label is not halfway down the Notes field.

The field name should always be next to the field, not below it. See attached image.

pw label alignment.png

Back yet again with a question: Just made a new vault in Dropbox — and it to Dropbox/Apps/Empass Beta.

This is a problem because folders inside /Apps/ on Dropbox cannot be shared. This was a vault I'm setting up for my elderly dad, so I can help him maintain his passwords.

He has a hard enough time understanding the cloud, and barely uses Dropbox as it is, so I'd rather he not have to download and learn another cloud service.

Suggestions? Will production version of Enpass 6 allow users to chose the directories to which their vaults are saved in the cloud? (I'm getting some deja vu here, forgive me if this has been asked and answered.)