Enpass Discussion Forum

Master password in desktop app not updated

haroK

• 4 months later...

From the FAQ:

And right after entering the (new) password, the downloaded database would get opened, and the sync operation will resume. But still in this case, the master-password of your local device has not been changed. So, if you want to keep the same master-password for all the other devices too, you've to manually change them."

This is not what I was expecting. I expected once I gave the "new" password that it would change the master password on the local device (too).  I'm having trouble imagining a case where you would want to keep separate master passwords (for the same database) on different devices.  Also, how does "the cloud" (whatever one I choose to use) know which password to accept?

Imagine this scenario: Assume I have Enpass up and working on two computers, both of which are synchronized to "the cloud"

a) I change the master password from computer A. This flows up to "the cloud".

b) Next time I use "computer b" I am prompted for the new password. Computer B gets this, syncs with the cloud, but keeps my old master password.

c) Some time later I change the "master" password on Computer B (but not to the same "new" password Computer A is using). 

Now what happens? Does Computer A need to update its idea of the "master" password?

Yes, this is a very dumb way to handle password changes. One short cut around this if you are aware of it is to change the local app's master password before trying to sync, then you just do it the once, but really, it should change it everywhere when you update the sync password. It just leads to confusion for the user. Makes no sense. 

It's so frustrating. Enpass has so much potential, and already does such a great job with things, that if they only put a little more thought into it, it could be truly excellent. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

it's a real mess!! I like Enpass a lot. On my iOS devices and Win desktop. BUT: I have no clue how the desktop master password is handled. All devices are in sync via WebDAV. I am able to log in with my master password on all my iOS devices. But the desktop is constantly denying access. I changed the master password on all devices - even though all devices are syncing to the WebDAV. You guess what: fine on iOS, no prob. Next time, I open the Win desktop, I am not able to access my data, the master password is not accepted. I'm close to move back to 1Password.

Hi @stbn,

I am really very sorry to hear that you are having trouble in unlocking keychain on Windows PC. Just to make a couple of things clear, I've following queries. 

• Are you using traditional Windows PC App or UWP version from store?
  • Did you change password on iOS devices and also on Windows PC separately, considering the fact that master password is changed on the device and on cloud but not on other devices syncing through same cloud?
  • Is your keyboard layout same on iOS and Windows PC? You can try this by typing the password on notepad in Windows and then copy/paste it in Enpass to unlock keychain.
  • Have you changed the default location of Enpass in PC?
  • Enpass version on iOS and Windows PC.

To resolve it for now, please reset your Enpass on Windows PC and setup again by restoring your data from cloud. You can reset the traditional version of Enpass on Windows by deleting the Enpass folder (default location is Documents) and on UWP you need to remove and install again. If you're using traditional version, please also take a backup of your Enpass folder.

I assure you that your problem will be resolved very soon.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Hi,

to your questions:

• Windows PC App
  • don't fully understand your question. To ensure that the master pwd is everywhere the same, I changed it on all devices to the same pwd, even though all devices are syncing to one and the same WebDAV location - quite strange approach, but finally it worked like this ...
  • yes, all the same
  • yes, to a location on my WebDAV
  • all the latest versions, downloaded from your webpage

Finally it seems to work. I deinstalled the Windows App completely, re-installed it and imported the wallet version from the WebDav. Quite an effort. But it seems to work at the moment. Keep fingers crossed.

Another topic: I imported my wallet from 1Password. Quite a lot of 'unvisible' and useless fields came a long with it. Example: one field called "Webpage". Second field called "url". Both are visible in Enpass and have the same content. Any hint to clean such duplications up? Thanks!

Hi @stbn,

I am glad to know that you have managed to resolve the issue by uninstalling/reinstalling the app and restoring the database from WebDAV.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:48 PM, Anshu kumar said:

Did you change password on iOS devices and also on Windows PC separately, considering the fact that master password is changed on the device and on cloud but not on other devices syncing through same cloud?

On 2/5/2017 at 7:49 PM, stbn said:

don't fully understand your question. To ensure that the master pwd is everywhere the same, I changed it on all devices to the same pwd, even though all devices are syncing to one and the same WebDAV location - quite strange approach, but finally it worked like this ...

I would like to let you know that when you change your master password on one device, it gets changed for the device's local database and the cloud account (If sync in enabled). The Master Password doesn’t get reflected on rest of the devices. For more details, please check out our FAQ.

Finally it seems to work. I deinstalled the Windows App completely, re-installed it and imported the wallet version from the WebDav. Quite an effort. But it seems to work at the moment. Keep fingers crossed.

It seems that there might be some problem with the desktop app while syncing with WebDAV. Our dev team is looking into this issue with full effort and we are testing this issue with the different devices and we will keep you updated about it.

Another topic: I imported my wallet from 1Password. Quite a lot of 'unvisible' and useless fields came a long with it. Example: one field called "Webpage". Second field called "url". Both are visible in Enpass and have the same content. Any hint to clean such duplications up?

Sorry to say but you have to manually delete these fields, though I have noted down your request and forwarded to the dev team for their consideration.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.2.2017 at 1:11 PM, Anshu kumar said:

Hi @stbn,

I am glad to know that you have managed to resolve the issue by uninstalling/reinstalling the app and restoring the database from WebDAV.

I would like to let you know that when you change your master password on one device, it gets changed for the device's local database and the cloud account (If sync in enabled). The Master Password doesn’t get reflected on rest of the devices. For more details, please check out our FAQ.

It seems that there might be some problem with the desktop app while syncing with WebDAV. Our dev team is looking into this issue with full effort and we are testing this issue with the different devices and we will keep you updated about it.

Sorry to say but you have to manually delete these fields, though I have noted down your request and forwarded to the dev team for their consideration.

Cheers!

Hi,

sorry to report: it's not working and I have no clue what the problem is. I'm pretty upset.

Situation: NOTHING changed: I'm still syncing my two iOS devices and my Windows client with WebDAV on my Synology server. All of a sudden the Windows client doesn't accept my Masterpassword - again. I checked on the iOS devices, Everything is fine, sync is working, Masterpassword is ok. To solve the problem, I changed the Masterpassword on one of the iOS devices. Immediately the second iOS device requested to enter the new Masterpassword. Worked. BUT: no change for the Windows client: Masterpassword not accepted, neither the old, nor the new one.

Please advice. Thanks.

Hi @stbn

• yes, to a location on my WebDAV

As far as I understood, you have changed the default location of Enpass data to your WebDAV. If yes, then kindly try with the data location set to any local path on your system as it might save you from any temporary error in accessing data from remote server (could be due to network issues) and throwing an error of Master Password. Though, we have improved it to show the detailed error in such cases and the fix would be available to you with next release.

So to avoid this issue, the best work around is to set a new location (locally) for Enpass database and then restore your database via WebDAV with keeping the sync enabled.

5 hours ago, stbn said:

I changed the Masterpassword on one of the iOS devices. Immediately the second iOS device requested to enter the new Masterpassword. Worked. BUT: no change for the Windows client: Masterpassword not accepted, neither the old, nor the new one.

Also, if you are changing the Master Password on your iOS device, then it gets changed for the local database and on the cloud account with which sync is ON. But it doesn’t get updated on rest of the devices as they are unaware of new password. So after unlocking with older password, during the next sync operation you will be asked for new password to unlock the downloaded file, and you have to manually change the master password on that device. For more details check out this FAQ.

Hope this helps! If the problem still persists we can be online on Skype for immediate assistance.