Enpass Discussion Forum

Take automatic backups + let browser extensions work without app + let the keyboard shortcut work on about:newtab + open logins in current tab

Orangutan

Hi,

I have been meaning to switch from 1Password for a while now, and yesterday, after trying some half a dozen alternatives, I have finally settled with Enpass. It's a great program; thank you for making it!

I am currently on Enpass 5.3.0.1, addon 5.3.1, Firefox 64-bit 50.0a2, Windows 10.

I have a few feature requests:

1) Have the program take automatic backups at regular intervals to a specified location, preferably both the intervals and location being user-defined. This is something 1Password already does, and I think such regular backups are an important feature for a password manager.

2) Make it so that the browser extensions can work without the main program being open. Currently, if the main program is closed (by File -> Exit), the browser extensions can't communicate and show an error upon clicking their icon.

3) Let the keyboard shortcut for browser extensions work on the about:newtab page in Firefox. Plenty of times, I open the new tab myself and am just trying to use the hotkey to open the extension panel and go and fill to a website, but at least on the above page, the hotkey doesn't work. I can always click the extension's icon and search and go and fill, but that's only a workaround. Out of curiosity's sake, why is the hotkey disabled on this page? I think it is all the more required on this page because a new tab means the user wants a fresh start and maybe go and fill to a website is exactly what he wants.

4) For the browser extensions, provide a choice as to where the go and fill action will take place -  in the current tab or in a new tab. At the moment, if you a search for a login and click it while being on about:newtab, the website will be loaded in the same tab. But if you do that on some other page, the website will be loaded in a new tab. So maybe have the same behaviour for both of these scenarios and let the user pick which behaviour it would be - open in current tab or open in new tab. Again, 1Password has this too.

I tried editing the add-on myself because the last two of these requests were only minor changes in javascript, but it seems that the add-on stops working if it has been 'tampered.'

Thanks for looking into this and thanks, again, for your app.

Hi @Orangutan,

First of all, Welcome to the Enpass Family! 

Thanks for the suggestion. We always love to know what users are looking for in Enpass.

8 hours ago, Orangutan said:

1) Have the program take automatic backups at regular intervals to a specified location, preferably both the intervals and location being user-defined. This is something 1Password already does, and I think such regular backups are an important feature for a password manager.

At the moment, Enpass doesn't support auto backup locally in your system, but this feature has already been implemented for the desktops and hopefully will be available in any of the upcoming updates. No need to worry if you have setup the Sync which automatically takes backup of your data with latest changes. 

2) Make it so that the browser extensions can work without the main program being open. Currently, if the main program is closed (by File -> Exit), the browser extensions can't communicate and show an error upon clicking their icon.

You can have look, similar is being discussed here:

3) Let the keyboard shortcut for browser extensions work on the about:newtab page in Firefox. Plenty of times, I open the new tab myself and am just trying to use the hotkey to open the extension panel and go and fill to a website, but at least on the above page, the hotkey doesn't work. I can always click the extension's icon and search and go and fill, but that's only a workaround. Out of curiosity's sake, why is the hotkey disabled on this page? I think it is all the more required on this page because a new tab means the user wants a fresh start and maybe go and fill to a website is exactly what he wants.

4) For the browser extensions, provide a choice as to where the go and fill action will take place -  in the current tab or in a new tab. At the moment, if you a search for a login and click it while being on about:newtab, the website will be loaded in the same tab. But if you do that on some other page, the website will be loaded in a new tab. So maybe have the same behaviour for both of these scenarios and let the user pick which behaviour it would be - open in current tab or open in new tab. Again, 1Password has this too.

I have noted down your suggestions and we will discuss this feature in our next meeting.

Cheers!