Enpass Discussion Forum

A new beta update of Enpass 6 is now available for Linux, macOS and Windows

Vikram Dabas

The issue I reported on September 7 about an incompatibility with the Logitech mouse has not been fixed (the Logitech Control Center has been updated to v3.9.7 in the meantime) As a reminder, it was working fine under enpass5, so it seems that it should be easy to make it work under Enpass6. Below is the post from the previous beta:

System: Mac Pro 2013, macOS X 10.2.6 (Sierra), Logitech mouse Performance MX, Logitech Control Center v3.9.6

Used with Enpass 5, the mouse works perfectly, but with Enpass 6 beta, the wheel does not work as expected. When I browse the main list with the scroll wheel, at first the list is going down (or up if going in reverse) as expected, but when the scroll wheel is used again to go further down or up the list, the list is in fact sent back upward (or downward)  to where it was before the first move, then goes down (or up) again. So even after a few strokes the list is still in the same position. It seems that Enpass 6 beta is always going back to the entry that is highlighted in the list before scrolling up or down.

Using the cursor in the scroll bar by clicking and dragging it works fine.

I have an other maintenance partition with minimum system and applications installed, without the Logitech Preference Pane. When Enpass 6 beta is installed on that minimum system the mouse works properly.

It seems the incompatibility is between the Logitech System Preference Pane and Enpass 6 beta.

EDIT: the same issue is found when browsing the icon panel.

Where is the WIFI sync we were supposed to get with the next beta version? It was greyed out in the previous beta, but I cannot find it anymore.

As reported above, the application wide Favicons feature is not working. I had to add them one by one for each site. Also, we still cannot load favicons directly from an application. I will not even try to design my own icons again considering the problems encountered before, and the fact that we still cannot erase custom icons we add to the application.

After a sync through Dropbox (that was setup with under the previous beta), it became clear that some Favicon were not ported to the iPhone version of Enpass6, while some others were. Strange.

It seems we are still facing lots of instability with this version...

23 hours ago, fermati said:

The issue I reported on September 7 about an incompatibility with the Logitech mouse has not been fixed (the Logitech Control Center has been updated to v3.9.7 in the meantime) As a reminder, it was working fine under enpass5, so it seems that it should be easy to make it work under Enpass6...

Under Mojave, the Logitech issue is identical to what was happening under Sierra.

Here's a usability issue that I consider to be pretty major: It's possible to create your own Categories now, but it's a HUGE hassle to use them because templates aren't universal, so every time you create your own category, it's impossible to then create any items within because there are no templates for the category. Templates should be universal — or at least you should be able to start with the universal list of templates and rule OUT templates that don't belong in your new category. Plus, having to duplicate templates for a new category just creates clutter. There's no reason I should be forced to create the same basic template over and over again for each category where I want to use it. (Enpass needs a "Basic" template too. The Default template has way, way, way more fields than I'll ever use for any account.) (And while I'm at it, when one does create new templates, they shouldn't be buried at the bottom of the list, in fact, they should be at the top.)

Another bug I'm seeing a lot: Half the time, it's impossible to click-and-drag an item to a category or tag. Click-dragging does nothing. The item I'm trying to drag doesn't even "come along" as a "shadow" of itself as I try to drag.

Another bug: If you hide Categories, then show them again, the Item Count doesn't come back for Categories unless you quit the app and relaunch it.

SUGGESTION: When first creating a new Item, the cursor should automatically already be in the Add Title field. Having to click there is a wasted extra step, and it's confusing to have the Title default to being the name of the template. In other words, the screen for creating a new item should start out like this (with a flashing cursor at the front of the field)...

834173761_ScreenShot2018-10-10at22_56_36.png.d8ae92959cc551b23dc634c690096f95.png

...not like this (where the user has to not only click in the field, but double-click in order to overwrite the "Default," which should even be there since no one will ever name an item "Default"):

1885605828_ScreenShot2018-10-10at22_56_27.png.0bbec78fd91d598d32142099c6fd25c2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

SUGGESTION: When first creating a new Item, the cursor should automatically already be in the Add Title field. Having to click there is a wasted extra step, and it's confusing to have the Title default to being the name of the template. In other words, the screen for creating a new item should start out like this (with a flashing cursor at the front of the field)...

834173761_ScreenShot2018-10-10at22_56_36.png.d8ae92959cc551b23dc634c690096f95.png

...not like this (where the user has to not only click in the field, but double-click in order to overwrite the "Default," which should even be there since no one will ever name an item "Default"):

1885605828_ScreenShot2018-10-10at22_56_27.png.0bbec78fd91d598d32142099c6fd25c2.png

I agree.

I always forget to change the title because it's already filled in.

Edited by JT

So i've been using both beta for windows and Mac. Here are my two cents in the issues I'm experiencing.

First off Windows beta version *.149

- I'm unable to sync with my Nextcloud installation. Let alone to a specific folder within my nextcloud install. It also states to check my username and password. I know these are correct. See screenshot.
- Drawing is still there, which will render the window out of screen. I would like to see a opt-in for a fixed location when hitting CTRL-/. Currently this done at the mouse's location. 

For Mac beta version *.220

- I would like to see a opt-in for a fixed location when hitting CMD-/. Currently this done at the mouse's location. 
- Webdav sync to my nextcloud works here. Only thing is that the files placed in the root of my nextcloud install. This is for me not preferred. I would to see that you can choose your own folder to sync to by enabling an option for "Path to Sync to"
- Mojave Dark theme support: It looks this is supported for this beta version, but can you make the URLs a lighter shade of bleu and maybe an opt-out for the underscore in the url.. See screenshot.
- Using the arrow keys to scroll through the password items does not always work. Keys do not respond. 

For both:

When changing a password I get the message to save a new login instead of changing the existing. This results in editing the new password by hand in the current item in enpass.

Nice to have:

Save the old password within the item automatically when a new password has been save. Sort a like versioning.

image.png.a1c001fd1821f5d6120bedbc21b1ff1b.png

Screenshot 2018-10-11 at 12.51.26.png

Edited by Martva

Hey @100 Watt Walrus,

Thanks for writing in.

4 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

Here's a usability issue that I consider to be pretty major: It's possible to create your own Categories now, but it's a HUGE hassle to use them because templates aren't universal, so every time you create your own category, it's impossible to then create any items within because there are no templates for the category. Templates should be universal — or at least you should be able to start with the universal list of templates and rule OUT templates that don't belong in your new category. Plus, having to duplicate templates for a new category just creates clutter. There's no reason I should be forced to create the same basic template over and over again for each category where I want to use it. (Enpass needs a "Basic" template too. The Default template has way, way, way more fields than I'll ever use for any account.) (And while I'm at it, when one does create new templates, they shouldn't be buried at the bottom of the list, in fact, they should be at the top.)

Noted and forwarded to the concerned desk.

Another bug: If you hide Categories, then show them again, the Item Count doesn't come back for Categories unless you quit the app and relaunch it.

Another bug I'm seeing a lot: Half the time, it's impossible to click-and-drag an item to a category or tag. Click-dragging does nothing. The item I'm trying to drag doesn't even "come along" as a "shadow" of itself as I try to drag.

Noted!

Noted and fixed will be available in the next update.

A little annoyance:

I am using 2 screens with my setup. Until this latest beta (220), after launching Enpass6 (or 5) for the 1st time I was dragging the main window to the secondary screen. That's where it stayed and reopened after any computer restart. That's no the case anymore. The first time v220 was launched I dragged its main window from the main screen where it opened first to the secondary screen. After a restart the Enpass window moved back to the main screen, and it happens after almost all restarts (not all, though). It is happening under Sierra and under Mojave.

There is a safety issue that should be resolved: after doing a search for a software license I found 2 sets of data (2 versions of the same software). After using the license to activate the newest version of the software I started using it or a while. When done I went back to Enpass6 beta and thinking that the search text was still selected I hit Delete. In fact the 2nd set of data was selected and it was directly sent to the trash. I was able to move it back to where it belongs, but I think we should have a confirmation menu prior to data being sent to the trash.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:34 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

MacOS

- When in the full app, if you CMD+H to hide, it closes the app, and you have to go back to the Menu Bar, open the mini-window, re-select the Menu button, and choose Open Enpass. I'm glad CMD+W was fixed, but CMD+W and CMD+H are not meant to do the same thing.

Agreed, and under Mojave, once you uncheck Preferences/Security/Autolock When Main Window is Closed, reentering the main password or PIN is not necessary after a command-H. The problem is that it is not required when the main window is closed (command-W) so it may be a security issue if you work in a public space. But when alone at home it could be a trick you can use until they fix the issue.

Another bug I just discovered (macOS 10.14, Mojave).

The main Enpass6 beta window was open. I had Firefox open and it was in the foreground. When I hit command-H to hide Firefox, the Enpass6 main window was hidden as well, although it was not the foremost application. It happened again with other software. It does not happen all the time, but every time I hit command-H to hide a software window, the Enpass6 window flashes even it is not hidden by the process (I can briefly see the desktop for a fraction of a second behind the window).

If I am using any software and I do a command-click on the Desktop to hide that application the Enpass6 window is also hidden at that point.

Another cosmetic issue similar to the dark blue color for the links (see Martva post above): when text in the search field is highlighted, it is in a blue color that is way too similar to the background color. Look at the screen capture below, it is almost impossible to distinguish the two colors.

644328034_ScreenShot2018-10-15at11_34_21AM.jpg.93312f73dceb432ed3ec78f647a902ae.jpg

On 10/6/2018 at 3:03 AM, Anshu kumar said:
On 10/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I'm unable to sync with my cloud services, even after quitting and relaunching Enpass 6. The last successful sync on all my vaults (two on Google Drive accounts, one on Dropbox) was before I updated to the new build. I don't get an error, instead I get "Last Synchronized: Today at 12:09; Last Attempt: a few seconds ago." In the last build, there were frequent sync problems (Error -113, I think was the code I'd see when it failed to sync in the background), but they could be fixed by quitting and relaunching the app. Now that doesn't work. I'm 100% unable to sync.

For quick troubleshooting please re-connect the Google Drive sync and let me know if the problem persists.

Finally got around to this. Disconnecting/reconnecting seems to have worked for now. FYI, I had to do so on 3 vaults across 2 cloud services.

Here's a feature I desperately need: When the browser extension offers to save login information on a new site, which template is used by default should be up to the user.

I've created my own template that I will use 100% of the time. I'm not interested in any of the other templates offered by the app. This leaves me in a position where I can never use the browser extension's offer to save the credentials because it will always do so in the wrong template.

Alternatively (or additionally), it would be nice to be able to open an item and change its underlying template. I realize in some cases that would mean lost data, but there could be a warning for that. I know this suggestion is unlikely, but if it's not possible to chose your own default template, this is the only alternative I can think of for making the offer-to-save viable for me.

The upshot: Users should be able to decide which template is their default. Users should be able to decide which template gets used when creating a new item from the browser extension.

Another request: The ability to duplicate an item. Example use: I just created a PayPal entry for myself. Now I need to create one for my wife's vault. Instead of having to start from scratch, I'd like to be able to duplicate mine, then edit it.

EDIT: Just found this in the three-dots menu. I was looking for it when right-clicking on the item. It should be there too.

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus

Man, I'm just running into issue after issue today.

BUG: I'm unable to scroll the sidebar or the items list.  Quit and relaunch fixed it.

ISSUE: When right-clicking on an item and selecting "add tags," in the little overlay that pops up, the cursor should already be in the field where you're going to type the tag name. Shouldn't have to click to activate.

SUGGESTION: Because the Edit screen rolls out from the right (instead of just editing in the Item View where you already are, everything that isn't the Edit screen is grayed out. This makes it impossible to scroll the sidebar and see the names of all your tags. If you want to add a tag to an item you're editing and can't remember name of the tag (was it "shop" or "shopping"?), you have to exit the edit screen, scroll the sidebar to see your tags, open the edit screen again and add the tag (or use the right-click mentioned above). At any rate, it's not possible to scroll the sidebar when in Edit mode. I suggest that Edit should take place in the same screen where viewing an item takes place.

Hey @mwang 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, mwang said:

Are we still getting the quick fix for data import promised more than a week ago? I can't beta test the newest beta if I can't import my data from 1Password.

Our dev team is already working into it and we'll try to push the update soon.

7 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

Here's a feature I desperately need: When the browser extension offers to save login information on a new site, which template is used by default should be up to the user.

I've created my own template that I will use 100% of the time. I'm not interested in any of the other templates offered by the app. This leaves me in a position where I can never use the browser extension's offer to save the credentials because it will always do so in the wrong template.

Alternatively (or additionally), it would be nice to be able to open an item and change its underlying template. I realize in some cases that would mean lost data, but there could be a warning for that. I know this suggestion is unlikely, but if it's not possible to chose your own default template, this is the only alternative I can think of for making the offer-to-save viable for me.

The upshot: Users should be able to decide which template is their default. Users should be able to decide which template gets used when creating a new item from the browser extension.

Noted and forwarded to the concerned desk.

7 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

How does one move an item to a different vault? I made an item in the wrong vault. Do I have to just start all over?

Please follow these steps to move data from one vault to other.

• Select the particular vault in which the item exists.

Capture1.PNG.3ad3152653f6a045c599542cecdfb078.PNG

• Now select the particular item and right click on it --> You'll have the option Add to Vault.Capture2.thumb.PNG.dc2e454cb8222221890bea35da8d7da2.PNG

Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

BUG: I'm unable to scroll the sidebar or the items list.  Quit and relaunch fixed it.

Noted and notified the QA team to look into it.

ISSUE: When right-clicking on an item and selecting "add tags," in the little overlay that pops up, the cursor should already be in the field where you're going to type the tag name. Shouldn't have to click to activate.

Fixed.

SUGGESTION: Because the Edit screen rolls out from the right (instead of just editing in the Item View where you already are, everything that isn't the Edit screen is grayed out. This makes it impossible to scroll the sidebar and see the names of all your tags. If you want to add a tag to an item you're editing and can't remember name of the tag (was it "shop" or "shopping"?), you have to exit the edit screen, scroll the sidebar to see your tags, open the edit screen again and add the tag (or use the right-click mentioned above). At any rate, it's not possible to scroll the sidebar when in Edit mode. I suggest that Edit should take place in the same screen where viewing an item takes place.

Our dev team is working to improve Tag functionality.

Thanks!

On 10/16/2018 at 6:14 AM, Anshu kumar said:

Hey @fermati,

Thanks a lot of sharing your valuable feedback.

I've noted down all the issues and notified the QA team to look into it.

Thanks!

You're a welcome Anshu kumer. Just an update about the main window moving from the main screen to the secondary screen: after doing a fresh install of Mojave (I was on a testing partition earlier), the main window always reopen on the main screen, never on the secondary one.