Enpass Discussion Forum

How-to Export Enpass6 data to Enpass5 ?

MilesTEG

Hmmm, that's not cool...

I hope there will be a way...
But, what I would like to have now, it's a safari extension for the beta ! and a new beta...

For what we see, there is no progress in the developement...

All beta I participate, there are severals update, like one a week... Here, none since some month...

On 11/16/2018 at 4:28 AM, MilesTEG said:

And we don't have any alternative not too expensive, or without subscription...

Nevertheless, I start to wonder if I'll try 1Password...

Considering how bad the Enpass 6 UI are on Windows desktop, I've been testing other apps, and I really liked Bitwarden. They are free, they have apps for Windows, Mac and Linux, for iOS and Android and for the web as well, they have a good importer for Enpass 5 data. 

By the way, I think things will get even worse than they are now, because from what they've been saying here and on Twitter, they plan on replacing Enpass 5 with Enpass 6 on Android, so you will have absolutely no other way to use Enpass 5 and your data will become even more locked on this platform. If you ask me, I'd say "get out while you still can". 

Edited by phg

1 hour ago, phg said:

Considering how bad the Enpass 6 UI are on Windows desktop, I've been testing other apps, and I really liked Bitwarden. They are free, they have apps for Windows, Mac and Linux, for iOS and Android and for the web as well, they have a good importer for Enpass 5 data. 

By the way, I think things will get even worse than they are now, because from what they've been saying here and on Twitter, they plan on replacing Enpass 5 with Enpass 6 on Android, so you will have absolutely no other way to use Enpass 5 and your data will become even more locked on this platform. If you ask me, I'd say "get out while you still can". 

More locked in? Enpass 6 has an awesome export. You can export your complete vault to a JSON file which contains a lot more information (in a much more structured way) than Enpass 5 did (or a lot other password managers, for that matter).

I also tried Bitwarden (simply because it's OpenSource), but it lacks a lot of polish that Enpass has (UI wise, IMHO). I miss custom field reordering, custom field categories, the templates and I cannot edit/add items in Bitwarden while I'm offline. Also Bitwarden "only" encrypts field contents, but not the structure of your vault items. While this is not a huge risk, I still don't like leaking metadata.

All in all I feel a lot more safe and in control with Enpass. And thanks to the new multi vault feature I can also cover family or work shared items now.

14 minutes ago, Hitman said:

More locked in? Enpass 6 has an awesome export. You can export your complete vault to a JSON file which contains a lot more information (in a much more structured way) than Enpass 5 did (or a lot other password managers, for that matter).

I also tried Bitwarden (simply because it's OpenSource), but it lacks a lot of polish that Enpass has (UI wise, IMHO). I miss custom field reordering, custom field categories, the templates and I cannot edit/add items in Bitwarden while I'm offline. Also Bitwarden "only" encrypts field contents, but not the structure of your vault items. While this is not a huge risk, I still don't like leaking metadata.

All in all I feel a lot more safe and in control with Enpass. And thanks to the new multi vault feature I can also cover family or work shared items now.

Where is the UI polish in Enpass 6? I downloaded the Beta version on my Windows desktop computer and a tablet app appeared instead of a desktop app. 

12 hours ago, phg said:

Where is the UI polish in Enpass 6? I downloaded the Beta version on my Windows desktop computer and a tablet app appeared instead of a desktop app. 

1. Great work picking out the one point of my post that was even marked as being my opinion and completely ignoring all the objective points I listed otherwise. Nice style!
  2. I'm talking about User Interface, while you are talking about User Experience. The UI has more features than the Bitwarden UI. It's as simple as that. See examples above.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 8:18 AM, Anshu kumar said:

Hey guys,

Sorry to say that it's not possible to import Enpass 6 data to Enpass 5. I totally understand, how eagerly are you waiting for the next build. Next week, we are releasing the final beta version with the built-in Safari app extension for Mojave.

Thanks for your understanding!

The week has passed.
The new beta isn't available... Is it planned this week ?

On 11/18/2018 at 7:29 AM, Hitman said:
  1. Great work picking out the one point of my post that was even marked as being my opinion and completely ignoring all the objective points I listed otherwise. Nice style!
  2. I'm talking about User Interface, while you are talking about User Experience. The UI has more features than the Bitwarden UI. It's as simple as that. See examples above.

What good serves allegedly having "more" features when they are frustrating to use and the app does not work? 

If you cared only about features you would be perfectly happy with a command line app as it would be much quicker to develop and add features. 

The point is that the user interface really matters on a desktop app, and the Enpass 6 desktop user interface is just horrible and does not work great at all on with mouse and keyboard, because the interface was designed to be used in a tablet with touch as input. 

It is also extremely insulting that they stated that they will force all users who paid for the app in all platforms to update to version 6, on Android, on Mac and on the Windows Store as well. 

They force all users to use a version with an interior user interface. 

Edited by phg

2 hours ago, phg said:

The point is that the user interface really matters on a desktop app, and the Enpass 6 desktop user interface is just horrible and does not work great at all on with mouse and keyboard, because the interface was designed to be used in a tablet with touch as input. 

Well this is strange ... I use it daily on multiple Linux and Windows Workstations with keyboard and mouse and everything is fine here. I like the look and feel and also the added animations (although I would not need them). So from my perspective it really is a UI polish on top of Enpass 5. Which brings me back to my initial point: it is subjective.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, Hitman said:

Well this is strange ... I use it daily on multiple Linux and Windows Workstations with keyboard and mouse and everything is fine here. I like the look and feel and also the added animations (although I would not need them). So from my perspective it really is a UI polish on top of Enpass 5. Which brings me back to my initial point: it is subjective.

You think that a hamburger menu feels great to use with keyboard and mouse? 

Big buttons and extra large interface, extra large context menu, extra large interface, which requires lots of mouse travels, while having low information density, are all an improvement over previous version?

You think the new settings menu which appears inside the apps own window (and there needs scrolling to see the bottom options) feels great on a desktop?

You think that having an app which looks, feels and behave like a uwp app looks great on a Linux and MacOS machine??

I don't even...