Enpass Discussion Forum

A new Enpass beta for iOS is now available

Gajender Singh

Dear Beta Subscribers!

We are happy to announce the release of a new Beta update v6.0.0.178 for the iOS. We’ve completely redesigned the app from the ground up and added lots of new features and refinements to make the Enpass app even more comfortable to use. This beta update includes:

IMPORTANT NOTES FROM DEVELOPER

• Must save a BACKUP: Your data will be upgraded to support the new architecture of v6. Once the database is upgraded to v6, it can't be downgraded or restored into previous Enpass versions. So it is highly recommended to take a backup of your data manually from any Enpass version you are using. You can take a backup via Enpass Settings> Backup and Restore.
  • Sync incompatibility: Sync in Enpass v6 works entirely in new, efficient way and syncs to the different location (generally in destined App folders on cloud service providers) than the previous versions released so far. It will neither synchronize with and nor restore data of any previous versions (Enpass 5 and previous Enpass 6 beta). So if you want to start testing of this beta as a clean install on some other device on which you are not having Enpass 5 (i.e., not over your existing Enpass 5 app), the only way is to restore data from the backup file.
  • Settings restoration: All your Enpass 5 settings will get reset, and you have to Re-configure them individually. 

What's New

• New UI: Enpass 6 will give you a fresh new UI experience, making it even more user-friendly and intuitive.
  • Multiple vaults: This is one of the most demanded features in Enpass that lets you have separate vaults for better segregation of your data. You can create multiple vaults for personal and work data and share with your family or team members by syncing through a common cloud account. However, each of your vaults requires a different cloud account to sync with.
    • To create a new vault, go to app Enpass Settings > Vaults and follow the instructions to create your new vault.
  • Favicons: Enpass 6 can automatically download and set the icon associated with the particular website or URL saved in an item. You can enable it from the Enpass Settings > General > Enable Use Favicon.
  • Custom icons: We've also introduced a much-requested feature; Custom icons, which allows you to set any image as an icon for any item in Enpass.
  • Secure sharing: This version brings secured sharing where you can share an item encrypted with a Pre-Shared Key (PSK). You can create PSK from the Advanced Settings of Enpass after which an additional option to Encrypt with PSK will appear while sharing the item. You need to share the PSK with the intended recipient which he needs to enter while importing the item.
  • Keyfile support: Enpass 6 on desktops lets you create and use a Keyfile along with the master password to log into Enpass. If you have added a Keyfile on the desktop, you would be prompted to provide keyfile on your device which you can scan from the desktop or load from the Files app in your iOS device.
  • Trash: Trash is here. From now onwards, every item you delete will go in the Trash first from where you can recover or permanently delete it.
  • Archive: You can archive the items which are no longer in use, but you don't want to delete them as well. The archived item won't appear in any search results.
  • Multi-line fields: Added a new field-type as a multi-line field which allows you to save information in more than one line. You can make any field a multi-line field by changing its field type from the item edit page.
  • Identity: We've introduced a new default category Identity to let you fill those long, tedious identity forms with a single click.
  • Added localization support for Afrikaans, Malay, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Slovak and Swedish.

Improvements

• Cloud synchronization: The new Enpass 6 now syncs the Enpass data into the designated App folder on the cloud, unlike it used to do in the root folder for Google Drive, and OneDrive. Along with this, the app now requires minimal permissions and will give relief to our folks who raised concerns regarding the list of permissions the Enpass was asking while configuring the sync, especially in case of OneDrive. Also, as Enpass 6 is based on a new architecture, it will not sync and restore data from previous Enpass 5 and Enpass 6 beta versions.
  • Improved Password generator and strength estimation: We have improved the password generator with the new user interface, option for excluding the symbols and the better strength estimation using zxcvbn. So there might be chances that the password shown as strong in Enpass v5 will be displayed as Weak in Enpass 6.
  • Tags: The erstwhile Folder feature is now known as Tags. All your existing Folders and sub-folders will be replaced by the Tags and sub-tags respectively. 
  • Separate section for items with TOTP or Attachments: Many of you folks requested that items with TOTP or attachments should be grouped and displayed together, and here you'll see the separate sections for both TOTP and Attachments in the Sidebar.
  • Eight digits TOTP support: Previously the app was restricted to generate only six digits TOTPs making it difficult for some folks who were using eight-digit TOTPs. Now this limitation has been removed, and you can freely add TOTP to quickly login into accounts.
  • While using Touch or Face ID, many of our users reported of forgetting of the master password making it tough to access their database. Now Enpass give you the option to provide master password after day, week or month.
  • A lot of other minor improvements.

Get It Now
It's an open public beta release, and any iOS user can download it via TestFlight.

We are continually working to boost the quality of Enpass before the official release and devoting a lot of time in improvements and bug fixes. And we are eagerly waiting for your feedback on our forums.

With Love to our iOS users!!❤️❤️ 

Hello, I installed this last version with TestFlight. But I had to uninstall everything about enpass...
And then this beta ask me to re-purchased to unlock the 20-things limitation... I had to uninstall, download again Enpass5, and overwrite it with this beta to get it working without limitations...

For now it's working...
But with my mac, my windows computer and my iPhone, it was a pain in the ass to get all working together and synching with dropbox without problems... (and still Chrome extension doesn't work... but it's for another topic this problem...)

You should have made the transfert more friendly...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Denoxster said:

Since enpass6 stopped working after latest version installed, I couldn't run backup as stated on link. Any other way such as moving the folder in google drive manually?

Did you uninstall the Enpass 6 app from your device? 

You can restore your Enpass 5 data from Google Drive. Please follow the steps:-

1. Login into your Google Drive account from a browser or use the Drive app and navigate to Enpass folder.
  2. Open the Enpass folder and download the sync_default.walletx file.
  3. Open Enpass app >  Welcome screen > Restore my existing data > Files --> Select the file you just downloaded --> Enter Master Password and done.

Let me know if it works.

27 minutes ago, Ankur Gupta said:

Did you uninstall the Enpass 6 app from your device? 

You can restore your Enpass 5 data from Google Drive. Please follow the steps:-

1. Login into your Google Drive account from a browser or use the Drive app and navigate to Enpass folder.
  2. Open the Enpass folder and download the sync_default.walletx file.
  3. Open Enpass app >  Welcome screen > Restore my existing data > Files --> Select the file you just downloaded --> Enter Master Password and done.

Let me know if it works.

Older IOS enpass6 was uninstalled as it crashing upon launching after later version installed this afternoon, I would like to use enpass6 data if possible as it has most updated data. Currently enpass6 also installed on my win10 laptop but Chrome browser extension broke today.

What would be best way to restore using enpass6 data instead of 5?

1 minute ago, Denoxster said:

Older IOS enpass6 was uninstalled as it crashing upon launching after later version installed this afternoon, I would like to use enpass6 data if possible as it has most updated data. Currently enpass6 also installed on my win10 laptop but Chrome browser extension broke today.

What would be best way to restore using enpass6 data instead of 5?

Sync current Enpass 6 version with Google Drive and restore from Google Drive on the phone

Edited by Meister

I am *very* happy to see the change you have made to the password strength meter. (Incorporating or adding zxcvbn standards, if I understand correctly). However, the incompatibility of syncing between the “old” (non-Beta) and the current (Beta) makes it impractical for me to test the Beta. For we have four iOS devices and two MacOS, all using our friend enpass. And my wife (who shares these devices) would find it intolerable were I to test the Beta on one, not syncing with the rest. Happy wife, happy life, as it’s said. With 180+ passwords (and secret questions and pins…) to track, happiness is paramount. I must decline for now but I truly thank you for the invitation to test. (And the warning of incompatibility!) [edit: and I am grateful also to the response to my related support request]

Edited by albopf

Thanks for the Enpass open public beta, I'm very happy to test it out now. Thanks for all the new features we all have waited a long time for! Personally I'm very excited about multiple vaults, new sections within one password item + multi-line fields, auto-copy of TOTP's and trash & archive folders. 

Here are some bugs I found / feature requests that are very important in my eyes / question:

The new iOS 12 password auto-fill feature have 2 scenarios: 1. you click the key button and choose a password; 2. you already have filled in a password for that website and a kind of a shortcut was created. In the second scenario there is a heavy bug:

If there is a username (as first at the top*) and an email (second/somewhere else*) saved for one password item, then the email address will be filled in instead of the username. So every time when the email is not the same as the username you can't login using the iOS password shortcuts.

There is a workaround: change the email field's type from "email" to "text", then it will work as it should. But it's still a big issue and should be fixed ASAP, please! 

*don't know if it matters

The auto-copy feature for TOTP doesn't work. I have some logins with TOTP and none of them is copied when I login. I already turned it off and on in the settings.

Is this working for somebody else, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When copying or moving a password to another vault a feedback-popup (like "password copied to ... vault" with an "ok"-button to acknowledge) would be nice. Because after I clicked on "copy" and nothing happened I did it one more time... and again... and again... At the end I had 7 copies of that password in the new vault. So if there is no feedback-popup it's easy to oversee if the action is already done and could finally ending up producing too much duplicate passwords.

Maybe also another confirmation-popup for moving a password to another vault would be a good idea (to exclude some accidental removing of passwords).

A confirmation-popup for moving passwords to trash and deleting tags (on the sidebar) would be nice, too.

Is there a possibility to sort the tags? Even alphabetically would be enough... I didn't found it.

There is also no option to edit a tag(-icon)?

Is it not possible to edit the standard-vault (name, icon)?

The App crashes when you click on the "+" to add a custom icon for a vault.

Edited by xarekate

11 hours ago, xarekate said:

Thanks for the Enpass open public beta, I'm very happy to test it out now. Thanks for all the new features we all have waited a long time for! Personally I'm very excited about multiple vaults, new sections within one password item + multi-line fields, auto-copy of TOTP's and trash & archive folders. 

Here are some bugs I found / feature requests that are very important in my eyes / question:

The new iOS 12 password auto-fill feature have 2 scenarios: 1. you click the key button and choose a password; 2. you already have filled in a password for that website and a kind of a shortcut was created. In the second scenario there is a heavy bug:

If there is a username (as first at the top*) and an email (second/somewhere else*) saved for one password item, then the email address will be filled in instead of the username. So every time when the email is not the same as the username you can't login using the iOS password shortcuts.

There is a workaround: change the email field's type from "email" to "text", then it will work as it should. But it's still a big issue and should be fixed ASAP, please! 

The auto-copy feature for TOTP doesn't work. I have some logins with TOTP and none of them is copied when I login. I already turned it off and on in the settings.

Is this working for somebody else, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When copying or moving a password to another vault a feedback-popup (like "password copied to ... vault" with an "ok"-button to acknowledge) would be nice. Because after I clicked on "copy" and nothing happened I did it one more time... and again... and again... At the end I had 7 copies of that password in the new vault. So if there is no feedback-popup it's easy to oversee if the action is already done and could finally ending up producing too much duplicate passwords.

Maybe also another confirmation-popup for moving a password to another vault would be a good idea (to exclude some accidental removing of passwords).

A confirmation-popup for moving passwords to trash and deleting tags (on the sidebar) would be nice, too.

Is there a possibility to sort the tags? Even alphabetically would be enough... I didn't found it.

There is also no option to edit a tag(-icon)?

Is it not possible to edit the standard-vault (name, icon)?

Thank you for trying the beta version and the feedback. Much Appreciated.:)

I've noted down these issue in the bug tracker and notified the dev team to look into it. 

Thanks for your co-operation.

There are some more bugs I found (all of them in connection with the iOS password auto-fill feature):

When you are using the password auto-fill feature, there is no "cancel" button at the Enpass' window. So, after you cancel the TouchID unlock popup you can't close the Enpass window.

In connection with the bug above, this one is nearly fatal for everyone who cancel the TouchID unlock popup. The only possibility to proceed (as there is no cancel button) is to click on the TouchID button. But nothing happens... and even the last chance to continue by entering the "Master Password" is gone, too. Just a blue window with no reaction... and you have to quit safari or any other app.

Please fix them ASAP.

In connection with bug Nr.1 from my previous posting I found another annoying bug. When you click on the "key" button and fill in the password for the first time, there is a kind of shortcut created (only once!, even if you repeat it again and again for the same user login). But now in Enpass 6 there is every time you repeat this action for the same user login, a new identical shortcut created. This way you can end up having tons of shortcuts for one and the same user login.

Edited by xarekate

• 2 weeks later...

I have two more urgent issues.

1. I think it's a bug in the "Match URL Hostname" feature:

If there is a website that uses its domain name without a www. subdomain and you're going to fill in a password via iOS' auto-fill feature, then you'll get suggestions for all the items that contain at least the same clause.

So e.g. if it's about the domain name example.com and you have lot of items that contains "*example.com*" (yes, the * means every possible character in front and at the end!) in any field (there is no matter if it's a URL, text or any other field type, even in notes!), then all of them gets suggested. In some cases it can be a mess to find the correct item you are searching for.

2. There is a problem with tags that I have. Don’t know if I’m the only one who have this issue, but I don’t know why nobody mentioned it earlier:

When editing any existed item, their tags gets removed. Maybe it's because some of them have a space included so there is an issue that makes troubles for all the other tags, I don't know.

In connection to this: I don’t know, is this possible at all to add a space in a tag?

Edited by xarekate

Hey @xarekate,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

1 hour ago, xarekate said:

1. I think it's a bug in the "Match URL Hostname" feature:

If there is a website that uses its domain name without a www. subdomain and you're going to fill in a password via iOS' auto-fill feature, then you'll get suggestions for all the items that contain at least the same clause.

Noted and notified the dev team to look into it.

1 hour ago, xarekate said:

2. There is a problem with tags that I have. Don’t know if I’m the only one who have this issue, but I don’t know why nobody mentioned it earlier:

Already fixed and will be available in the next update.

Cheers!

I saw there is an update to version 196 possible. A lot of bugs are fixed so far, thanks for your great work! But still there are some bugs I mentioned above that should be fixed ASAP. 

On 12/6/2018 at 12:12 AM, xarekate said:

The 1. is very critical as it dramatically decreases your workflow, making one of the most important iOS features useless. If this one get’s fixed and I get an answer to the following question, there wouldn’t be any reason not to switch all my devices to Enpass 6. Now I’m using only one less important testing device.

There was another important question you didn’t answer: is is possible to use a space in tags? As far as I see it’s not. So, is this a bug or a feature? I’m just curious because I was using a space in a lot of folders on Enpass 5 and when they were converted to tags in Enpass 6 it was all right, but I can’t add those tags to new created items and i need to know if it will be fixed or I have to use a workaround changing all my spaces to underlines in Enpass 5 folders. 

Also there are another 2 questions in connection with this:

-will the existing tags be editable in Enpass 6 in the future?

-can you add the functionality to hide some of the categories, like it was possible in Enpass 5? I was using just 2 or 3 and now I have to scroll through all of them down to see my tags, that are more important. 

This two bugs still exist, too. But I have to precise: the 2. mentioned is not common and not for every website possible. I don’t know what the criterias have to be matched, but yes, sometimes it happens. 

On 12/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, xarekate said:

When you are using the password auto-fill feature, there is no "cancel" button at the Enpass' window. So, after you cancel the TouchID unlock popup you can't close the Enpass window.

In connection with bug Nr.1 from my previous posting I found another annoying bug. When you click on the "key" button and fill in the password for the first time, there is a kind of shortcut created (only once!, even if you repeat it again and again for the same user login). But now in Enpass 6 there is every time you repeat this action for the same user login, a new identical shortcut created. This way you can end up having tons of shortcuts for one and the same user login.

Oh dear, there is something really wrong with the new section feature. Just play a bit around with creating new sections, creating new fields, moving them around, removing... after they are removed, they still stay at place instead of the really existing sections, or the fields are sometimes added to already deleted sections that shouldn’t be visible anymore. Please fix this bug, otherwise it’s not really usable. 

I just saw, that the 196 build was published in the AppStore. But I think it’s a bit too risky as there are some critical bugs still unfixed. 

1. When using shortcuts, E-Mail instead of username is filled in (see my posting above).

2. Sections are not working properly and could break your structure (see my posting above).

3. It not possible to add any tag (new bug found)! And there is still one question where I didn’t get an answer: is it possible to use spaces in tags?

Please give me a short answer, especially if the dev team was notified about these critical bugs.