Enpass Discussion Forum

Fingerprints - I feel a little hard done by (paying twice and no fingerprints!!)

tentimes

Hi,

I bought the Android pro version and also paid for the windows app. I wanted a password manager that works with fingerprints. BUT... the windows app version doesn't work with web browsers (really??) and is not compatible, it seems, with the android version. I cannot use fingerprints with my Windows Hello fingerprint reader as the app version won't work with browser plugins. Considering I have paid twice for this I feel a bit annoyed and slightly conned.

Surely there should be ONE version per platform, all should work together and fingerprint unlocking should be available on windows and android?

First of all, you should test before you buy. The free versions do work.

But regarding your problem: what exactly do you mean by they don't work together? I have enpass running on Mac, Linux, Windows and Android and they all are synced via WebDAV. So I would say they work together pretty good. Also on my Android device the fingerprint unlock works fine .... can you be more specific what doesn't work on android and how that manifests?

If you use the app version of the windows version then you can have some limited fingerprint unlocks, but it doesn't work at the same time as an extension for your browser. If you run the desktop (free) version of the windows version then you have NO fingerprint unlocks on the PC but it does allow you to have browser plugins, though those plugins on windows do NOT allow fingerprint unlocking. So fingerprint unlocking on windows is totally borked - I suspect this is as much down to windows as Enpass. The android version is only compatible with the non-app version of the windows version, and it DOES allow fingerprint unlock. Essentially, the way it is described in versions, I thought I would be getting a version for windows and Android (by paying for both) that BOTH used fingerprints and worked together, but they don't. Instead I have fingerprints on android and none on windows. If you look at the page explaining the versions you can see how someone could easily not realise this is the case. I want to use my finger, not have to type in my huge master unlock password every 5 minutes (or whatever). By now fingerprint reading on the PC should be as easy as it is on your phone and I don't understand why we still can't have it.

1 hour ago, tentimes said:

[...]The android version is only compatible with the non-app version of the windows version, [...]

What do you mean by that? You cannot access the same (shared) vault from Android and the Windows App? Are you sure the versions are identical? There is currently Enpass 5 (stable) and Enpass 6 Beta. They are not compatible (you can only convert from 5 to 6, but not back). Please check that you have Enpass 5 on Android and Windows or use the Beta on both systems (but don't forget that it is a beta ... keep backups!)

Regarding having to type the master password on desktop: I usually prefer the PIN. i.e. I have to enter the Master Password only when starting Enpass, from then on out it is enough to enter a (relatively) short PIN. Having to enter the Master Password after a reboot (or after restarting Enpass) is something I can live with. At least on a machine with a physical keyboard. So at least for the time being you could look into the PIN feature as alternative to the fingerprint (on Windows).

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, tentimes said:

Sorry but these are just poor excuses for not having fingerprint recognition on Windows and, without meaning to be rude, I want to hear from the developer on this, not you.

I do recommend that you contact Enpass directly, since I don't believe they read their our forums.