Enpass Discussion Forum

Can't change default directory

mdovey

1 hour ago, mdovey said:

Although you can change the backup directory, in the store version (unlike the desktop version), you can't change the default location for vaults.

Matthew

I see the same thing and hope that it´s just a difference between versions. (Store=build #197, desktop version=build #198)

9 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

I would like to share that Windows Store apps store their data inside app sandbox and it's not possible to change the default location.

Is that a requirement from Microsoft or a recommendation from Microsoft?

I do always change those settings in all apps i use to force them to store everything on my D:\ instead of spreading them on all around C:\. I take daily backups and it is easier to just target D:\ for backup instead of trying to find out all the different folders that are used for private data on C:\. This makes re-install of Windows easier as well as i have no personal data on C:\.

It seems to me that the Microsoft Store app of Enpass is the same app as the desktop app of Enpass. The only difference seem to be the way they are distributed so i don´t see the reason to limit the Microsoft Store of Enpass.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:15 PM, mdovey said:

you can't change the default location for vaults.

I realized that one can trick Enpass so one can change the Data Location in the Microsoft Store version. I had #198 installed on my workstation and uninstalled it and installed #197 from Microsoft Store. I restored Enpass with my backupfile, filename.enpassbackup. All settings came in and i can even change them in #197.

This feature should not be limited to the desktop version.

image.png.c627fcf1f20f991fddc981adb895e92b.png

Edited by Roger

10 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to share that Windows Store apps store their data inside app sandbox and it's not possible to change the default location.

Cheers!

I was initially under that impression, but then discovered that you can change the backup location to outside the sandbox.

However,  if this is a limitation of the store version, this is another argument for supporting premium features in the desktop version.

Matthew

12 hours ago, mdovey said:

However,  if this is a limitation of the store version, this is another argument for supporting premium features in the desktop version.

I'm also hoping to have the ability to buy the premium features on the desktop (and in future portable) versions.

An idea could be to link an Enpass account (also this one used in the forum) to the app. What you buy is saved in the account. This way there are also no fees to pay to Apple/MS/Google and it's easy to transfer licenses between platforms and versions.