Enpass Discussion Forum

No more touchID?

chrisonline

Who thinks of such things? Making people pay for their old experience? Ransom is the absolute correct word here. 

I have recommended Enpass A LOT in the past. Almost as if I'm getting paid for recommendations. But it's business models like this that make me stop recommending and using software. I have ditched 1Password for their subscription and account-model. I am seriously thinking of doing the same with Enoass. This is not about the price. It's about principle!

If I would get the absolute best experience overall, I MAY purchase the premium package. I don't know about the Windows-version of EP6, but on Mac I have a for worse experience than before. A lot of this has been pointed out by a lot of users during beta-phase. Some was "acknowledged", nothing of that has been changed. Most has been ignored.

Edited by kwitchibo
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MistrSunshine said:

This is ridiculous.

So how do I roll back to v5 then?

Here's what I did: using AppCleaner I removed v6. From a TimeMachine backup I simply recovered the old version. Worked like a charm. All passwords, all settings are still here. Unlike v6, which lost my sync settings (for example).

10 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

Hi guys!

The Store version and Website version are exactly the same things. Just want to understand why you don't want to use Store version. Distributing the in-app purchases through Stores is a Win-Win for both of us as we don't have to manage the purchases from our end, and you don't have to sign up with us to keep using Enpass, anonymously.

Cheers!

OK so let me explain.

1. Updates
-> Windows App does not notify the user of an update it does automatically updates without any info (changelog)
-> Desktop App notify me if I open the app and I see the changelog

2. Windows App can't be placed on the Windows desktop
--> I see it only in the Windows start menu

3. Icon
--> The Windows App Icon is not the new shiny blue icon ;-)

4. I use a "program starter" app and Windows Apps are not recognized. So I need to start it via the Windows start menu.

5. And so on...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

Hi guys!

The Store version and Website version are exactly the same things. Just want to understand why you don't want to use Store version. Distributing the in-app purchases through Stores is a Win-Win for both of us as we don't have to manage the purchases from our end, and you don't have to sign up with us to keep using Enpass, anonymously.

Cheers!

Hi Hemant,

I would love to use the Store version (i installed and buy one on my Surface Pro)

But my Main computer i have installed Windows 10 LTSC (this has No Store!, No Edge!, No Cortana etc.)

This Windows version give you much more stabillity in the Windows invirement.

Some further differences:

6) the Store version only allows you to change the location where backups are stored but not where the main vault database files are stored; the desktop version allows you to change both

7) the Store version does not work on earlier versions of Windows (e.g. 7), the Desktop version does

8) the Store version required you to have a Microsoft account, the Desktop version doesn't

• Thanks 2

Exactly the same position.  I was automatically upgraded to v6 on my Android device (so a forced upgrade?) and so have done the same on my MacBook only to discover that I have to pay extra for the TouchID feature I had before!  I am extremely disappointed in this Enpass.  As you well know (because you now charge for it) TouchID is a big time saver and to remove features from a product which I too have championed, is holding your loyal customers to ransom.  Being held to ransom (by a monthly cost) is the very reason I decided not to use LastPass etc in the first place.  

Please if anyone has seen instructions for downgrading to v5 on any/all platforms, please post it here.

Some further differences:
9. The Store version is build 218 while the Desktop version is build 230. Not the same iow. And, the latest beta build of the Store version was 220. So the Store version is actually older than the latest beta of the Store version. *huh*

2 hours ago, chrisonline said:

3. Icon --> The Windows App Icon is not the new shiny blue icon ;-)

This is a difference i happen to like. All system icons on Windows are white and i think the white icon in the Store version blends in better than the blue icon in the Desktop version. But i don´t know if it is that important to me that i prefer to use an older Store version rather than the newer Desktop version. The Premium features gives me very little, i can create a Template but i cannot select and use that very template when Enpass auto-add a password into Enpass. (So what´s the point of a template...)

image.png.796f336055be4835248c9ce33605d88b.png

1 hour ago, mdovey said:

6) the Store version only allows you to change the location where backups are stored but not where the main vault database files are stored; the desktop version allows you to change both

For me this is the most annoying difference. I want to have everything in the same folder for easier backup management. I can work around it by installing the Desktop version and do the changes and then uninstall the Desktop version and install the Store version. Now, the store version uses the same settings as the Desktop version. But, workarounds and register hacks were exciting in the 90´s, not so exciting 2018 soon-to-be 2019.

• Thanks 2

I use Enpass a long time now on  iOS and macOs. Was using theit website version and had also a Pro licence. 

After Beta testing, i found myself with the new 6.0.0(289) not able to use touchId or custom categories or models. Info: Now pro feature "only available in the store version", with a button "download from Windows Store"....

Re loaded the store version, got premium. Restore of iCloud Vault. Second Vault, not iCloud but local, never restored, not findable. Lost in transition.

Features like dark mode ? Not available in personalization menu. FavIcon support? No trace found in parameters. Nothing happening.

All in all: Frustrating and useless update with a customer policy not even worth the name.

A shame, but it was my last effort in Enpass. I don't like abo models, but i prefer even to pay regular abonnements over this kind of deception.

Good luck to everybody, and bye bye to enpass.

Sorry for the all the troubles and inconveniences caused to you. 

We just need some more time and we assure you to improve all the things in our apps. You will see all the improvements coming in, in a series of updates making Enpass the best in class. Placing things in accordance with the new engine and inner robustness was our paramount that took most of the time, and now the rest of the changes related to UI designs and improvements won't take more time.

15 hours ago, X-Ray said:

Features like dark mode ? Not available in personalization menu. FavIcon support? No trace found in parameters. Nothing happening.

Now matter of just a little of more time and you will see them in Enpass. Thanks a lot for your co-operation!

3 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

We just need some more time and we assure you to improve all the things in our apps. You will see all the improvements coming in, in a series of updates making Enpass the best in class. Placing things in accordance with the new engine and inner robustness was our paramount that took most of the time, and now the rest of the changes related to UI designs and improvements won't take more time.

Now matter of just a little of more time and you will see them in Enpass. Thanks a lot for your co-operation!

Thanks for noticing the complaints. I will watch future updates. But please also overthink your pricing model. As I mentioned elsewhere: don't make people pay for features that where free before! Also: think about how Mac- and Windows-users feel, when they have to pay for Premium, while Linux-Users don't. I for my part feel like 2nd class user.

4 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

does it include the feature touchID without paying a new Pro-Licence for enpass v6?

I can't believe what I read here from the official Support.

- You released a new Version of Enpass and talking about new features in that version but in fact, they are not ready yet?

- You added new features to the free desktop version but removed on the other hand a very important feature (Touch ID support) from the free to the Paid version? Why that decision?

- You released a very buggy version of Enpass 6 where many things are not working but ask for patience? Maybe finish first and release then would have been the better strategy than use us a beta tester

- You made a lot of customers by give them your desktop version for free and now asking vor money without the possibility to keep the previous version.... Ha.. trapped... Want your features back? Pay for it!

You lost me... no money for you from me - Never again. I only support fair behavior. That feels not fair. That feels forced.

• Like 2

Came here for the same reason as everyone else:

The Store version and Website version are exactly the same things.

The Desktop and Windows Store releases of Enpass are definitely not the same. The details have already been covered, and the case for needing exact parity between Store/Desktop releases is also covered.

i would add that the browser extensions also behaved differently. The Edge extension only works with the Store version, and until very recently, the other browser extensions only recognized and connected to the Desktop version of the app. i'm pretty sure i even found an Enpass blog post about this, which effectively forces people to run both versions of the app if they want to use Edge and any other browser. After removing and reinstalling my Firefox & Chrome extensions they seem to connect to the Store version, but it looks like a very recent change and typical users might not realize the extensions need to be updated.

The discrepancy in Settings is really annoying - you can't claim they're the same when certain settings just aren't available in one and can never be activated in the other. It makes no sense at all to tease the "Premium" settings in Desktop if they can never be enabled. Just remove them and leave the "Store Only" settings ad.

i really like Enpass, but you really should allow purchasing a Premium license for Desktop and not claim they're the same thing.

• Thanks 1

Like everyone else I'm here to say that the Windows Store is not a solution for me. I use Windows 7 on my gaming PC and Windows 10 without a Microsoft Account (and all telemetry disabled) on my working PC. I want to pay you, but I can't.

Edited by B-P
  • Thanks 1

Dear Enpass official response - Sorry doesn't cut it - you have failed to answer the questions raised by paying customers who have paid for a product only to have some functions taken taken away during an upgrade. Neither response answers nor justifies your model that penalises the people that have supported you in the past. Pathetic. What guarantee now is there for anyone who purchases from Enpass - you buy and then they taketh away. 

Thumbs down to Enpass - go elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It also appears that you have to be logged onto the Windows store permanently in order for the premium features to be available.

To try to minimise the amount of telemetry Microsoft collects, I only log onto Microsoft store when I need to purchase\download an application, and then immediately log out (I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account at all but unfortunately that hasn't proved possible) - I take issue with the claim that purchasing through Store is anonymous!

However, if I restart Enpass whilst logged out of Store, it forgets that I have premium features.

I'm quite happy to pay for premium features - I'm even happy to pay for upgrades (particularly at the current low rates) but Enpass needs to seriously rethink its reliance on Microsoft Store.

Matthew

2 hours ago, mdovey said:

It also appears that you have to be logged onto the Windows store permanently in order for the premium features to be available.

To try to minimise the amount of telemetry Microsoft collects, I only log onto Microsoft store when I need to purchase\download an application, and then immediately log out (I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account at all but unfortunately that hasn't proved possible) - I take issue with the claim that purchasing through Store is anonymous!

However, if I restart Enpass whilst logged out of Store, it forgets that I have premium features.

I'm quite happy to pay for premium features - I'm even happy to pay for upgrades (particularly at the current low rates) but Enpass needs to seriously rethink its reliance on Microsoft Store.

Matthew

I just tested this and see the same thing. When i am logged out from Microsoft Store the Premium features in Enpass stops working. So to use Premium features we are forced to be constantly logged into our Microsoft account. Totally unacceptable.

Hi there,

i'm very surprised, that the Touch-ID option is an premium feature.
For a security software like Enpass it should be an basic feature in my opinion.

Anyway, i bought it to support the developer, but it astonished me.

Marcel