Enpass Discussion Forum

Safari Extension 6.0.0 autofill shortcut

17 hours ago, benson said:

I still cannot set a shortcut by myself for the autofill. Oh lord, what happened to this great app? :(

If it's about the safari extension for the Mac, then it's a bit tricky. You can set the shortcut only in the Enpass app settings (browser menu), not as previously in the extension settings!

2 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

Sorry for the trouble you are going through.

Can you please let me know on which browser are you trying to set the shortcut and what problem are you facing while setup shortcut so that we can investigate further.

Thanks!

Sarari on OSX 10.14.x.  In Enpass 5 my shortcut was CMD+Y (uppercase Y or CMD+SHIFT+Y)  Y is located on german keyboards near the left CMD and X keys. It was the best shortcut in combination with the mouse in the right hand. Enpass 6 letter shortcuts are case insensitive. It doesn't work with uppercase Y. CMD with lowercase Y opens the bookmark list.  

I tried all combinations of keys, but don't get it working. I'm really disappointed and regret that I switched to Enpass. This shortcut is an essential feature for a password manager!

Why the developers can't get it working after such a long time? I guess that's the difference to a premium product like 1password what I used before. Looks like the saying is right: If you buy cheap you buy at least twice...

@chl I agree that it was a very bad decision from the Enpass Team to call a still beta version - stable and force all users to make the upgrade, but I totally disagree that 1Password is a premium product compared to Enpass as a cheap copy. This statement fits exactly only if you compare the price of the both products. 

@chl Yes, maybe... but it still doesn't offer to sync via WebDAV and I don't want to store my passwords somewhere in the cloud which is outside of my control, especially in the cloud offered by the makers of the password manager itself (and for some features you need to use their own cloud solution, afaik). That's not premium-like, imo ;)

But as I already said, Enpass Team made a big mistake offering the not ready version as a stable one and now they are probably under time pressure to fix all the bugs. That's really sad, but I hope that in the near future v6 will become the same stable version as the v5 was. Until now I had no problems with Enpass and if, they were fixed very quickly.

If you compare the price you pay for each app, then it should be clear that 1Password have to be more solid. It's like comparing Apple's macOS and Linux. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:28 PM, xarekate said:

There is a bug using German keyboard layout (or maybe other layouts, too?) and you have to use the appropriate key from the English keyboard layout. See my previous posting:

This is actually a pretty good workaround, but still doesn't work for all keys. Since I am using the key on the left of "1" on the German keyboard, I cannot enter this key into the extension setting. It's been so long and still no solution to such a simple problem :(

On 2/6/2019 at 11:28 PM, xarekate said:

There is a bug using German keyboard layout (or maybe other layouts, too?) and you have to use the appropriate key from the English keyboard layout. See my previous posting:

Hi @xarekate, maybe I do not get your point or we have two different german keyboards.

Tried to imagine what keyboard layout in English Keyboard you probably think of, I assume the English International (which is at least from the key count the same as german):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201794

I guess by "u have to use the appropriate key from the English keyboard layout." you mean at the position.

If I try to follow your suggestion with the key # this would translate to \ on the English International keyboard position.

So I open Enpass, Settings and navigate to the Global Hotkey Setting.

With some fiddling I get the keys alt+shift+7 (the german way of typing \) pressend and resulting in \ in the input field. Btw. you have to try some times, clicking in the input field and press the 3 keys quick - will not work directly, do not know how the devs think that should work?

Is that successful the keyboard shortcut should be "cmd" + "alt" + "#" following your suggestion.
By the way you and others are always referring to "cmd" + key - the Settings screen somehow suggests that the combination is always "cmd" + "alt" + key. Do I get something wrong here as well?

But nevertheless it does not work. The combination will not bring up the assistant dialog.

Btw. tried around with some other combinations e.g. putting "/" in that field (by german shortcut "shift" + "7").
This combination will at least work as you suggested - the key "/" is located next to the right shift button - in german keyboards this ist the "-". 
Pressing "cmd" + "alt" "-" on my german keyboard will now bring up the assistant dialog,

So at least for my system the advice to look at the English International keyboard to find the corresponding equivalent key does not work for all keys. To be clear - it only works for the "-".

@enpass

Nevertheless it should not be not up to the users in a forum to discuss workarounds for a obvious bug in the app. 

Having bugs in apps especially in new major releases is nothing unusual.

But as others mentioned - if something worked in a previous version and do not work now, users are very likely to be upset.  And if you ignore that for too long they get really angry.

So please, please communicate with us - because 3 month of no fixing and no real reaction like "we are aware and fixing it till <date>" is quite annoying. 

@Joachim S. 

Yes, it's impossible to use some of the english symbols by typing them in from the german keyboard (because you'd need to use "alt" or "shift" and Enpass can't handle it then). So the easiest way is to switch to english layout and typing in the key you need ;)

Can't remember now, but I think after this change you have to restart at least the Enpass app or even your Mac.

On Enpass 5 it was possible to use other key combinations, but on v6 it's only possible to use "cmd" + other key. Don't know where you have this "cmd" + "alt" + key. Or I didn't understand your question in the right way.

2 hours ago, xarekate said:

Yes, it's impossible to use some of the english symbols by typing them in from the german keyboard (because you'd need to use "alt" or "shift" and Enpass can't handle it then). So the easiest way is to switch to english layout and typing in the key you need ;)

Ah, thanks - did not consider to change the keyboard to en, that did the trick regarding the "#" german key to be inserted as a "\" with the English Keyboard. :)

2 hours ago, xarekate said:

Can't remember now, but I think after this change you have to restart at least the Enpass app or even your Mac.

On Enpass 5 it was possible to use other key combinations, but on v6 it's only possible to use "cmd" + other key. Don't know where you have this "cmd" + "alt" + key. Or I didn't understand your question in the right way.

I confused that.

Global Hotkey Shortcut

In the Settings of the Enpass App (6.0) -> General -> System-wide Hotkey you kann add a Hotkey (as well). As there was/is no configuration possible in the Safari Extension I (wrongly) assumed this setting would somehow be a replacement. This has the "cmd" + "alt" + key Hotkey.

But it turns out that this is - as the title suggests - a Global Hotkey, that does not integrates within the browser. It will bring up a assistant view, that looks almost the same the Safari Extension looks like, but does not fill the form in a (Safari) Browser window - instead it opens a new page.

So this Global Hotkey is somehow nice but is not related to form filling in browsers.

Just if somebody else runs into the same assumption ;) 

Regarding the actual fix you referring. It works as you stated - thanks a lot!

Maybe somebody else run into same wrong assumptions - the settings in Enpass App does not have anything to do with the actual Safari Extension.

Safari Extension Shortcut

To modify the shortcut for Safari's app extension, open Enpass and go to settings -> browser and scroll to the bottom. There is an comfortable input field for setting the shortcut.

As @xarekate mentioned - for non english keyboard users: switch to english keyboard layout and type the key in the field. 

The following steps are still valid but obsolet as the Shortcut can be easily entered in the settings of Enpass - thanks again for @xarekate clarifying this in the answer to this post.

The still valid Fix ist that with the plist File.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi all,

We are working on it. We provided a hard-coded shortcut to make it available earlier.

Here is a workaround(ugly fix) for German Keyboard Layouts:

1. Finder->Go->Go to Folder-> enter below path

~/Library/Group Containers/7ADB8CC6TF.in.sinew.Enpass-Safari-Group/Library/Preferences

Download the attached plist file with this post and paste inside the folder. Overwrite the existing one.

REBOOT YOUR MAC(do this just after pasting).

Your safari keyboard shortcut will be "Cmd+ ä" now.

Thanks.

7ADB8CC6TF.in.sinew.Enpass-Safari-Group.plist

To modify the shortcut to e.g. "cmd"+ "#" on a german keyboard you have to edit plist File and change the string value from meta+' to meta+\

Edited by Joachim S.

3 minutes ago, Joachim S. said:

Maybe somebody else run into same wrong assumptions - the settings in Enpass App does not have anything to do with the actual Safari Extension.

Not quite correct. There is an option to add a hotkey for Safari's app extension, if you go to settings -> browser and scroll to the bottom. But the other workaround works as well, is just a bit more complicated.

The global hotkey is needed if you'd like to look up passwords for another app or similar. But for browsers you'd want to use the appropriate extension, yes.

1 minute ago, xarekate said:

Not quite correct. There is an option to add a hotkey for Safari's app extension, if you go to settings -> browser and scroll to the bottom. But the other workaround works as well, is just a bit more complicated.

The global hotkey is needed if you'd like to look up passwords for another app or similar. But for browsers you'd want to use the appropriate extension, yes.

Oh man, you are right - missed that setting totally. Thanks for pointing it out!

Maybe its best to delete or skip all I previously wrote to not confuse others :/

@Joachim S.

No problem. It's not surprising me, because of the way Enpass team implemented it. For Firefox and Chrome the hotkey is set in their browser extension's settings and for Safari you have to look into the main app settings.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't remove all the questions you asked previously. Maybe only the part with the alternative workaround for Safari's hotkey.

Edited by xarekate

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm on Enpass 6.0.7 (336) and Safari 12.1. I tried to set the shortcut with English and German Keyboard Layout activated, however I can't get any shortcut working in safari. My favourite shortcut would be [CMD] + [<]. If I enter this with English Layout activated Its recognised as [`].

Any hints here?

Best

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, Anshu kumar said:

It's been resolved, and an update v6.1 with the fixes will be rolled out soon.

No. It's not been resolved. I van enter which shortkey I want, it doesn't work. What a pity! With Vivaldi in Windows enpass works very well. But on MacOS it's unusable.

39 minutes ago, Auerhahn said:

No. It's not been resolved. I van enter which shortkey I want, it doesn't work. What a pity! With Vivaldi in Windows enpass works very well. But on MacOS it's unusable.

Which combination are you using?

I have defined cmd-# (on a German keyboard) and it works fine now. 

In Safari, it shows up as cmd-\, but in practice it works with the #-symbol

Edited by C__O