Enpass Discussion Forum

Introducing Enpass 6; Our biggest upgrade ever!

Gajender Singh

Hey all,

Can you hear the balloons popping and the confetti all around?!

Yes, it's the celebration buzz we're having here at the Enpass. The long-awaited Enpass 6  for all the platforms has been released worldwide. Bringing in the improved security, new UI, Multiple Vaults, Dark Theme, Custom Categories, Custom Templates and lot more. 

Well, you can have the complete info from our blog post itself.

P.S. We're gonna have the retro night with some booze later today.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Obelixkenobi said:

I have purchased the Pro Update für Windows 10 - but the "Dark Theme" does not work for me! Even after a restart Enpass shows bright colors (grey and white background).

Hi @Obelixkenobi

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. One of the possible reason for your problem might be that you're not quitting the app completely. Please quit the app by choosing the Exit option in the menu of Enpass by clicking on the hamburger button on the top right corner of Enpass and then Restart app. Refer attached screenshot.

QuitApp.png

Hi,

I'm very excited that enpass 6 is finally here! I can't wait to start using multi-vault functionality.

I do have some comments, the iOS app upgrades autmoatically and loses all sync settings without any warning. This left me in an uncomfortable situation as I couldn't immediately get all sync settings but I needed my passwords.

Also the new enpass seems to lack certain features that were available in the old app, but perhaps I didn't search well enough. What I can't find is how to change the password recipe from using symbol separated words to something else.

When I changed one password, I couldn't find the previous version of the passwords anymore.

Edited by Xin

@TheDanBob Can't believe I missed that. Thanks!

When changing passwords on a website, the browser plugin (safari 12) asks to update the password, but the prompt disappears almost instantly so after updating a password, I couldn't update the database and I had to go trough the password reset procedure.

I've encountered a few crashes as wel but I submitted the crash report so hopefully this will improve soon.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed design-wise for the Mac-version. Some changes have been requested a lot during beta-phase, but also have been ignored completely so far:

- ditch the blue!! It looks ugly with dark mode! At least give us an option to remove it! This is a mix of dark and colorful mode.

- we still get the slide-out windows for preferences, password generator etc. Please give us a more Mac-like experience with extra windows with tabs at the top! What we have now does not look like a Mac-app!

- overall it still looks like a port from Windows, or a portable device.

I can't find favicon support anymore? It was there in the betas.

I also cannot find a password history anymore!!! I created a test-entry, changed the password a couple of times, but there is no history!

Edit: I found A history. If you click the generate-button, you get the last 12 passwords generated overall, for all entries, that's it. I need to have a complete history for every single entry and it needs to be right in the entry, not just after opening the generator.

I think I will revert back to Enpass 5 for now, this doesn't work for me at all. 

Edited by kwitchibo
  • Like 2

It's sad to say but I think you released a poor beta of Enpass. When I follow all the topics in the forum and considering my own experiences, I am not sure If I should trust my Data to Enpass anymore. 

Let's see what is reported so far

- Not working Sync

- Not working Pro Upgrade

- Not working Browser Extensions

- Corrupted databases or missing passwords after upgrade

- get charged for features that were free in Version 5

Considering all of this, I ask myself two things

1. Have you tested your Software and Plugins before the release or was it more important for you to get money from your existing users? How can I trust a company that releases a bad beta version an a final realease that handles personal and confidential data?

2. What will come next when now ask for money for old features? What kind of business is that? For new features, ok. I would be willing to pay on order to support you. But not this way. 

I really thing about to switch to another products now.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

As mentioned by other users this update is extremely disappointing and is pushing me to look for alternatives for Enpass. Charging for old features such as unlocking with Touch ID is a bad precedent and worries me that Enpass may convert to a subscription model in the future. The Mac version of the app looks unpolished and looks worse than the previous version. It doesn't look like a native Mac app and instead merely a secondhand thought to the Windows version. I beg you guys to improve on the areas mentioned and don't ignore your users.

Upgrading to pro is not an issue for me. As a matter of fact, I was more than willing to purchase it and excited to buy new features, but I do not want to spend my money on a product I have no confidence in, and unfortunately, this update has caused me to lose a lot of it.

Edited by juhaned@nando1.com
  • Like 4

Despite other comments, the upgrade from Enpass 6's latest beta on both iOS and macOS went very smooth for me:

- on iOS, I simply downloaded the App Store version again (which automatically renders the TestFlight version uninstalled) and all data was instantly available as it was before

- on macOS, I've removed the Beta application in /Applications with AppCleaner and downloaded the App Store version. After restoring data from WebDAV, I was good to go.

As with anything, make sure to have backups of your vault before attempting any upgrade.. which should really go without say. In my case I did not need them, but it's a good best practice to do so anyway for your own safety.

- On @dbrewood's comment of having old vault data: this happened to me when going from one beta to another once, but did not occur to me when going from the latest beta to the GA build.

- @Xin have you verified your browser extension with the main application yet? This might fix the prompt from disappearing. I've also had a few crashes on macOS (e.g. whilst testing the 'Have I Been Pwned' feature) but like you said, it'll help the Enpass team if you send the crash reports over.

- @kwitchibo try right-clicking a field within an item in your vault  to get the full history of that item. Enpass 6 now does history on all fields, not just the password field.

@ChaosNo1 unlike your experiences: my (WebDAV) sync, (macOS) pro upgrade and Safari/Chrome/Firefox browser extensions (except for Safari's keyboard shortcut) are working fine on macOS. Safari on iOS also works great for me, even with autofill.

I'm really loving all new Enpass 6 features and did not hesitate for a second to spend a few extra euros on the (now new) paid macOS upgrade for the extra features. Thank you very much for your efforts, Enpass team, for making the most awesome password management tool even better.

@rowankaag great that you are happy with the new Enpass. But forget to test essential functions like autofill is a sign of bad test management. For a password Manage this is a basic feature.

However, the main issue that I have is, that I feel forced to pay. It's not about the price. Its the Philosophy that I cannot support.

"Hey, we have some cool new features, but we need to charge you for them" --> Ok. I would really pay for them, even if I do not need them. Just to support Enpass

"Hey, we have a new Version and we want to have now from you so that you have still the same features as in the prior version" --> NO. That feels like to be forced to buy the upgrade to keep my user experience. 

Again, it's not the price itself. It's not that they want to generate income with new features. It is the fact that they tempt the customers and now want to get money for the same functionality as in Enpass 5

Edited by ChaosNo1
  • Like 2

@rowankaag thanks for pointing me to the history-setting.

Still, I will keep using EP 5 for now. Its experience is better and more Mac-like than EP6. I don't like having to click the "back" arrow several times, if I navigated through several points in Settings and want to go back to the main settings-page and maybe navigate to some other setting. This is just stupid.

As other pointed out: making people pay for features they have been using in the past (TouchID on Mac) is an absolute dealbreaker! No way I'm supporting this. Paying for completely new features, of course. But not this. You're locking users out of their previous experience. Somebody in this forum has called it "ransom". I agree with that.

Also, can someone explain why the Premium package says "lifetime license"? What is the free package then? A license which will expire/which I have to subscripe to in the future?

Last but not least: what makes Linux so much more special that they get all premiun features for free? Is Mac and Windows second class?

Edited by kwitchibo

On 12/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, ChaosNo1 said:

@rowankaag great that you are happy with the new Enpass. But forget to test essential functions like autofill is a sign of bad test management. For a password Manage this is a basic feature.

I think that if I were part of the Enpass team, and we had been building this application for over a year now and we have 95-100% feature support on all platforms, I would also decide to launch to the public. The team has decided that they'd rather provide the world with a ~95% version on all platforms than to wait another month or more before shipping a 100% version, and I am glad they did. I don't mind not having favicons right now but getting them in the near future.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, ChaosNo1 said:

However, the main issue that I have is, that I feel forced to pay. It's not about the price. Its the Philosophy that I cannot support.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:32 AM, kwitchibo said:

As other pointed out: making people pay for features they have been using in the past (TouchID on Mac) is an absolute dealbreaker! No way I'm supporting this. Paying for completely new features, of course. But not this. You're locking users out of their previous experience. Somebody in this forum has called it "ransom". I agree with that.

I don't agree. Enpass 6 (in my case; for macOS and iOS) is still very usable in the 100% free version and has the very same features as Enpass 5 did. The only difference being that 'Unlock with Touch ID' used to be free on Enpass 5 for Mac and is now a paid feature in Enpass 6 for Mac. I can argue that this might not have been the best idea, but still: SOME of the new features are a paid upgrade. If we're strictly talking features here, and not improvements:

• Sync with Cloud: free on macOS both in v5 and v6; paid upgrade for iOS in v5 and still paid in v6, so this hasn't changed.
  • Multi-Vault: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Attachments: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Keyfile protection: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Secure sharing: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Trash and archive: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Have I Been Pwned: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Custom categories: non-existent in v5 on any platform; paid, new feature on v6.
  • Custom templates: non-existent in v5 on any platform; paid, new feature on v6.

Still, I will keep using EP 5 for now. Its experience is better and more Mac-like than EP6. I don't like having to click the "back" arrow several times, if I navigated through several points in Settings and want to go back to the main settings-page and maybe navigate to some other setting. This is just stupid.

I can relate to your experience stating that not all UX elements are really feeling native to macOS. I'll admit that I hope this will improve in the future, but it still very workable for me right now nonetheless.

Also, can someone explain why the Premium package says "lifetime license"? What is the free package then? A license which will expire/which I have to subscripe to in the future?

This means that the free package comes at no cost whatsoever, whilst purchasing the premium package will grant you lifetime availability to the premium features with all versions of Enpass to come.

Last but not least: what makes Linux so much more special that they get all premiun features for free? Is Mac and Windows second class?

I think this is because Windows and macOS both have an App Store ecosystem that allows developers to offer premium features at a price, whilst Linux does not. Because not all versions of Linux have an App Store but rather have the built-in package managers (without support for premium features), Enpass is likely to have decided to grant Linux the features for free. 

Edited by rowankaag

@rowankaag

Smooth sailing for my install on Android and Windows 10 1809 (Enpass Store version). Plus all my problems with the beta are solved and the app is working great. I'm grateful for your efforts. (I'll mention, FYI, I could not get my premium account thingy to roll forward. But I don't care, I was pleased to pay the discounted $6 bucks, and get premium "again".)

Possible tiny feature request: On Enpass Windows 10 Store app, when I open the app (either from "Hello" or clicking on the task bar icon), can I set it to open in full screen? (instead of the small popup above the task bar). If yes, where do I set that? If no, consider adding it. 

Thanks,

Good work gents. And to those with problems, I hope things settle down for you.

Eric

Edited by Captain_Eric
typos, clarity
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rowankaag said:

I don't agree. Enpass 6 (in my case; for macOS and iOS) is still very usable in the 100% free version and has the very same features as Enpass 5 did. The only difference being that 'Unlock with Touch ID' used to be free on Enpass 5 for Mac and is now a paid feature in Enpass 6 for Mac. I can argue that this might not have been the best idea, but still: SOME of the new features are a paid upgrade. If we're strictly talking features here, and not improvements:

• Sync with Cloud: free on macOS both in v5 and v6; paid upgrade for iOS in v5 and still paid in v6, so this hasn't changed.
  • Multi-Vault: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Attachments: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Keyfile protection: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Secure sharing: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Trash and archive: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Have I Been Pwned: non-existent in v5 on any platform; free, new feature on v6.
  • Custom categories: non-existent in v5 on any platform; paid, new feature on v6.
  • Custom templates: non-existent in v5 on any platform; paid, new feature on v6.

No need to list all the free features. If there is one feature that used to be free and now has to be paid for (plus such a central one that greatly affects the usability of a software), it's one too many! Period.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, rowankaag said:

I think this is because Windows and macOS both have an App Store ecosystem that allows developers to offer premium features at a price, whilst Linux does not. Because not all versions of Linux have an App Store but rather have the built-in package managers (without support for premium features), Enpass is likely to have decided to grant Linux the features for free. 

Then they should have thought of a different solution. This sends a weird message.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, kwitchibo said:

No need to list all the free features. If there is one feature that used to be free and now has to be paid for (plus such a central one that greatly affects the usability of a software), it's one too many! Period.

I agree. Again... it is the philosophy that I will not support.

They could have put all new features to the pro features. But most of them are very special and won't generate much paying customers (BTW: I was able to add attachments in Version 5 too). I guess that resulted in the decision to take a often used feature that many users want to have to the pro features in order to "force" more people to pay for the upgrade. If they kept this feature for free - because it was - I would have upgraded to pro without thinking about it, even when I don't need the other features. So I have to three options

1. Ignore the fact and pay the upgrade, because I want to have fingerprint login on my Mac - Means the forced upgrade policy worked for them in my case

2. Ignore the Update and do not use fingerprint login - No, I like the comfortable way

3. Switch to another product

I habe a big problem with 1. I will not get forced in this way. Call me crazy or whatever you want, but that is my philosophy. 

So for me, 3 is my option. 

By the way, they could have kept Enpass 5 in the App Stores for exiting customers too and offer Enpass 6 as a free Product with pro upgrade as they did. They decided to force us to that upgrade with all consequences, bugs and not working features / Browser Plugins.

• Like 1