Enpass Discussion Forum

Gentoo :: No update to version 6.0 available

Peter Pfeufer

Hey there,

I am running Enpass on Gentoo Linux. Currently version 5.6.9, which was installed by simply downloading it from https://www.enpass.io/downloads/ where a binary or tarball (I honestly can't remember which it was) was available for Linux distributions that were not covered by your install manuals on the website.

With the update to version 6, this is no linger the case and the installed client doesn't seem to recognize that there is an update available. Unfortunately the browser extensions already want to have version 6 :-(

Now the big question, how do I get this update done?

Yes, I had the same problem, I use Void Linux.

Even though download page says " it should work on any modern Linux distribution without any problem" there is only DEB/RPM download options by adding respective repositories. No installer, and no easy access to package files. Yes, it works, but after a long installation journey.

Sometime ago I had written a template file to convert a DEB package into XBPS (void package format), and I discovered it still works using the same URL to download the package.

Take a look at this PKGBUILD from AUR, this might help doing the same for Gentoo.

And please, Enpass developers, a Linux installer as there used to be would be really nice.

Same problem here >:(. I just updated the Android app to V6. Then I started the Maintenance Tool on my Gentoo Linux but it doesn't find any update.

On the download page I can't download anything. I don't have an RPM or DEB based Linux distribution. Where can I download Enpass 6 for Linux Desktop? I'm willing to download the DEB package and install Enpass manually, wouldn't be the first package to do. But how/where can I manually download the package?

Will v5.6.9 still work although I have v6 on my phone? What happens upon synchronisation?

If I can't use Enpass on my mobile and my desktop, I have to look for an alternative to Enpass.

Edited by Oceanwaves

18 minutes ago, Sahil Sharma said:

Hi @Oceanwaves

You can download current deb package for Enpass from here.

Thanks

Hi,

thank you! I already found it thanks to the post from @Edgar Diniz

I manually installed it and everything looks fine so far except synchronisation with Google Drive. Whenever I click on allow, Firefox tries to open enpassauth://googledrive/?scope=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.appfolder... (parts of URL  removed) and gives me an error as it doesn't know the "enpassauth" protocol. It doesn't return to Enpass. But I guess I have to ask this in another thread.

But I still have the problem that I will never know about an update to the desktop version and even if I now that there is a new version I have to guess the correct file name.

8 hours ago, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi @Oceanwaves,

It seems the protocol handlers are not updated yet. Make sure  "/usr/share/applications/enpass.desktop" file exists. Please logout/login or restart your system. Also, please try command  in terminal and share result.

xdg-open enpassauth://googledrive

/usr/share/applications/enpass.desktop exists and I rebooted the system. When I first called "xdg-open enpassauth://googledrive" in a terminal it started Firefox and tried to open a website containing something like auth.enpass. On the second call it opened Enpass. When I try to configure sync with Google Drive from Enpass I still have the same problem. I can see the page with the "Redirect" button for a short time, then get the "unknown protocol" message from Firefox (v64.0).

Maybe I should take a closer look at WebDAV. Already considered to install it on my NAS.

Update: Clicked on "Try again" on the Firefox error message (tried that yesterday several times) and this time I was redirected to Enpass and the Google Drive synchronisation was configured. Sync is working now.

Edited by Oceanwaves
Problem solved

So I've created an ebuild for 6.0.0.

https://github.com/djsmiley2k/gentoo-overlay/tree/master/app-admin/enpass

It doesn't do anything more than unpack the .deb and install it 'as is' right now. You need to chmod +x the executable - /opt/enpass/Enpass to allow you to actually run it (and add it to $PATH if you care about that).

I'm still working on the mime and xdg handling settings too however you just need to edit your ~/.local/share/applications/Enpass.desktop file to point to the correct executable, with %U as the argument passed to it.

Edited by djsmiley2k@gmail.com

Thanks djsmiley!

I just copied your ebuild to my local overlay, digested it, and then emerged Enpass 6 into my system. I did manually chmod+x both /opt/enpass/Enpass and /opt/enpass/importer_enpass. However, then not only did the new Enpass icon show up correctly in my Gnome Applications -> Accesories menu, but when I setup my Enpass sync, the enpassauth call was correctly handled by Firefox, and I was asked if I wanted to open Enpass to handle the link. I clicked to open it in Enpass, and sync was correctly setup.

I didn't need to do anything else.

Jason

Edited by jasn

8 hours ago, djsmiley2k@gmail.com said:

It doesn't do anything more than unpack the .deb and install it 'as is' right now. You need to chmod +x the executable - /opt/enpass/Enpass to allow you to actually run it (and add it to $PATH if you care about that).

I'm still working on the mime and xdg handling settings too however you just need to edit your ~/.local/share/applications/Enpass.desktop file to point to the correct executable, with %U as the argument passed to it.

Thanks! You should add  a symbolic link from /opt/enpass/Enpass to /usr/bin/enpass. This way you don't have to modify PATH for every user.

ln -s /opt/enpass/Enpass /usr/bin/enpass

On 12/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi @Oceanwaves,

It seems the protocol handlers are not updated yet. Make sure  "/usr/share/applications/enpass.desktop" file exists. Please logout/login or restart your system. Also, please try command  in terminal and share result.

xdg-open enpassauth://googledrive

I also have problems when trying to get my data from icloud. Firefore says:

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (cloudkit-xxxxx.in.sinew.walletx) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

9 hours ago, djsmiley2k@gmail.com said:

Thanks for your work! I'm not a developer, but made some changes to your ebuild, adding execute permission and a symlink to /usr/bin/enpass:

src_install() {
insinto /;

# install in /opt/enpass
ENPASS_HOME=/opt/enpass

doins -r usr/;

doins -r opt/

fperms +x ${ENPASS_HOME}/Enpass
fperms +x ${ENPASS_HOME}/importer_enpass

dosym ${ENPASS_HOME}/Enpass /usr/bin/enpass

}

pkg_postinst() {
        gnome2_icon_cache_update
        xdg_mimeinfo_database_update
        xdg_desktop_database_update
}

pkg_postrm() {
        gnome2_icon_cache_update
        xdg_mimeinfo_database_update
        xdg_desktop_database_update
}

I also added pkg_postinst() and pkg_postrm(). I simply copied those from the spotify ebuild hoping that they do what they say ;-). As said before I'm not a developer.

• 4 years later...