Enpass Discussion Forum

No more folders in Enpass 6?

Mauko

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi @Mauko,

You can create subtags like subfolders. You can also change icon of tag too. So, no functionality is lost other that name.

Cheers:)

This is not true.

It was possible to create a new item inside a folder in v5 but it is not possible in v6 and you have to remember the whole path of tags just to create a new item which is impossible.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:56 PM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi @Mauko,

You can create subtags like subfolders. You can also change icon of tag too. So, no functionality is lost other that name.

Cheers:)

There are 3 things I've noticed so far that are different:

1. When creating sub-tags the tag structure collapses and you need to re-navigate to the sub-tag that was just created.  This also happens when I drag+drop an item onto a sub-tag.  I'm constantly re-expanding tags / sub-tags.  I know that's a minor complaint, but the amount of clicking and scrolling I find myself doing in general now is pretty annoying.
  2. Like apollo13 said, duplicate tags aren't allowed.  We use the folder structure to organize by customer, then service, so we have a lot of duplicate names.  For example:
    • Customer 1
      • Office 365
    • Customer 2
      • Office 365
  3. In Enpass 5 I could navigate to a folder and any items I created after that were automatically put into that folder.  Now I need to either enter the tag name by hand, which is extremely difficult given the number (and length) of tags we have.  Alternatively, I can search for an item after creating it and drag+drop it into a sub-tag.  To use Office 365 as an example, Enpass 5 was really good.  I'd navigate to a customer's folder, create an "Office 365" sub-folder, and add passwords as I created users.

When I saw the tags in the beta I assumed they were going to work almost identical to folders, just with a different name.  I regret that I didn't test it more thoroughly.  All of our phones have auto-updated to version 6, so I'm going to end up updating to v6 on the desktop and will have to live with all of those annoyances for now.

#2 seems like an input bug.  When I try to create a sub-tag called (ex:) "Office 365", it tell's me the tag exists.  However, when I look at the tags listed in an item, it seems like the tag is actually "Customer 1:Office 365" or "Customer 2:Office 365", so it's not really a duplicate, is it?  I can also work around the limitation by typing a new tag manually.  For example, "Customer 3:Office 365" is allowed.

• Thanks 1

I totaly agree with ryan25 and I think you should ask your customers to vote for the new featuers/changes.

I think the best thing to do is to create a poll and ask for user's opinion. You can ask them to vote for features like folders.

I don't have a huge issue with the structure being called tags vs folders.  From what I could tell in v5 it was basically the same thing, delimited tags that are presented like folders.  It's the reduced ease of creating the tags/folders and adding items that are problematic for me which are mostly just bugs that need to be fixed by the looks of it.

One thing that I haven't tested but that looks very useful with the current structure is that when I move and item between vaults it's should keep it's virtual tag/folder structure.  It would be great if I could also move an entire tag to another vault.  Ex:

• Customer 1:Office 365:Ryan's Office 365 Login
  • Customer 1:Office 365:John's Office 365 Login

It would be useful to move all tags matching "Customer 1:*" to another vault IMO.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, Hemant Kumar said:

Hi guys

Extremely sorry for the trouble. All the issues been noted and will be fixed asap in coming builds. Please bear with us.

I can create new sub folder directly, why i need to create a tag with a long name for tag like"Customer 1:Office 365:A Login".

This upgrading is the worst upgrading.

Why not add tag as an additional function?Replace folder is not a good idea. 

I know that tag is good for search and for management, however it's not good for tidy and folder is better.

Why Windows and Linux and Mac and other all OS need folder function? 

Hopes folders return!!!The best is folders withing tags!!!

Best wish, and hopes Enpass Team can accept our idea.

Please don't give up us who love folder management, we can't love tag replace folder, we can't accept it, in this period the oldversion is our choice, but we hopes upgrading we hopes newest.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like the new interface. The previous one was intuitive and clean, perfect, wonderful, but version 6 I'm going to uninstall it. Please, put on the web the last 5 version to be able to download it the many users that we are not happy with the new one.

Just say these words an everything will be fine: "We will bring back folders in Q1 2019".

Otherwise I think many users (including me) will change to another Solution. Tags are no alternative to folders and subfolders.

Edited by pnrik
correction

• 2 weeks later...

Another issue with the new Interface with tags... if you add/edit a login inside nested tags like say:   "user1/webXX/serviceXX/UserLogin1" once you hit the "save" button the entire interface resets to the origin and you have to navegate to "user1/webXX/serviceXX" in order to create "user1/webXX/serviceXX/UserLogin2" it IS quite annoying when giving several permissions to an user and save them like this.

This didn't happen before with the folder structure.

• 1 year later...

This Feature is extreme annoying. 

Problems:

• Entries multiple times in different Tags (Wried UX)
  • Cannot move hole Subtags (Folders) (I mean with Keepass i can move a folder to a different Folder a Entry to a different Folder etc.)
  • The UI looks annoying with this Tag Icons in front of
  • The Tags sort by Name (Bad UX, the User should move the Folders like he want to)
  •  

I moved from Keepass to Enpass and at the beginning i liked it but now i will move Back to Keepass because of this Tags shit.
It would be better if the User could Choose between Tags or Folders or let the Tags be additional.

Edited by Daniel Ehrhardt

I am a freelancer and I work with several companies. I store all my client's information in Enpass and each customer has a folder with many sub-folders for each service. 

I need to be able to find all related information of a service by browsing to it's folder.

e.g .:

CompanyA > Servers > iWeb > WebServer01 > FTP (This folder contains all ftp accounts/info of the WebServer01 in iWeb datacenter which belongs to CompanyA)

CompanyA > Servers > DigitalOcean > WebServer03 > FTP (This folder contains all ftp accounts/info of the WebServer03 in DigitalOcean datacenter which belongs to CompanyA)

I don't see how this could be done with tags!

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I am a freelancer and I work with several companies. I store all my client's information in Enpass and each customer has a folder with many sub-folders for each service. 

I need to be able to find all related information of a service by browsing to it's folder.

e.g .:

CompanyA > Servers > iWeb > WebServer01 > FTP (This folder contains all ftp accounts/info of the WebServer01 in iWeb datacenter which belongs to CompanyA)

CompanyA > Servers > DigitalOcean > WebServer03 > FTP (This folder contains all ftp accounts/info of the WebServer03 in DigitalOcean datacenter which belongs to CompanyA)

I don't see how this could be done with tags!

Hi @Alex

I create a new tag for a client, then I create the required subtags by right-clicking on the parent tag.  I keep meaning to suggest a new feature of Tag/Subtag templates which could then be duplicated to save time.

In my way of working the title for a new record would take the format of something similar to:

Client Name - Mobile Phone #1 or Client Name - Server #3

Then I drag the entry to the appropriate tag/subtag. 

If you wanted, Tags and Subtags can be created when generating your new entry by creating a breadcrumb trail:

Clients:Test Case:Company:ETC

Hopefully this is the sort of setup you want to use.

To be honest I am at a bit of a loss to understand why users are having a hard time using Tags/Subtags, if the names were changed to Folders/SubFolders the task they perform (to my mind) remains the same.

Selection_005.jpg

On 10/9/2020 at 3:01 AM, Daniel Ehrhardt said:

This Feature is extreme annoying.

Problems:

• Entries multiple times in different Tags (Wried UX)
  • Cannot move hole Subtags (Folders) (I mean with Keepass i can move a folder to a different Folder a Entry to a different Folder etc.)
  • The UI looks annoying with this Tag Icons in front of
  • The Tags sort by Name (Bad UX, the User should move the Folders like he want to)

I moved from Keepass to Enpass and at the beginning i liked it but now i will move Back to Keepass because of this Tags shit.
It would be better if the User could Choose between Tags or Folders or let the Tags be additional.

Problem:

Entries multiple time in different tags

Comment:

Surely this is because as a user you are adding multiple tags to an entry!

Problem:

Cannot move hole (sic) Subtags (Folders) (I mean with Keepass i can move a folder to a different Folder a Entry to a different Folder etc.)

Comment:

I have to admit I have never tried to move them so this was news to me.  Yes I can see that this would be a nice feature to have.

Problem:

The UI looks annoying with this Tag Icons in front of

Comment:

What one person finds annoying is another person's pleasure, however perverse.  Would you want to do away with all the icons in the other sections as well?

Problem:

The Tags sort by Name (Bad UX, the User should move the Folders like he want to)

Comment:

I would think that the vast majority of users are going to go alphanumeric for sorting, would the coding required for what I would perceive to be a very small minority be worth the extra investment in time.  My work-around when I want things out of alphanumeric is to use the following type of layout:

01 - This is a folder
02 - For investigation
03 - Delete this information
04 - Queue these jobs up on the 1st of the month
Ants
Bats
Cats

--------

As I commented in the post above really do not see the problem with Tags/Subtags as, to my mind; they perform the same function as Folders/SubFolders.  To quote the Bard: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".  Please, if you have now decided you no longer like the product there is no need to resort to calling it the vernacular for excrement.  The staff at Sinew work hard at the Enpass project and to disparage their work with name-calling is not called for.

Edited by Dentonthebear

I opened this almost two years ago and it still hasn‘t been solved. And no: Tags are not folders. If people don‘t see the difference in what we have to deal with now, I‘m tired of explaining. But I just live with it because I love the rest of it , thanks Enpass!