Enpass Discussion Forum

Today's production release does not address a TON of problems reported in the Beta forums

100 Watt Walrus

I've grown more and more frustrated and disappointed with the Enpass team's cherry-picking only questions they want to answer in the beta threads on these forums, and ignoring real concerns, usability issues and bugs. Now a production release has been announced, and there are a TON of problems that have gone ignored. A week ago I paid for the premium version of Enpass in good faith, on the assumption that the team would fix all these problems before releasing the app publicly, but instead they've released a buggy, incomplete product and have thus far largely ignored all of the following issues, and in some cases removed features instead of fixing them.

- Beta 279 and the production release no longer have the favicon-fetching feature. The original version of this feature was passable. The updated version in build 250 was terrible, and after the problems with this feature were pointed out, the Enpass team stopped replying to questions about it, and removed the feature completely without bothering to explain.

Other password managers don't have any problems with their favicon feature, so what's the hang-up here?

- Not having the favicon feature might not be so bad if the Custom Icon feature wasn't even worse. Despite a lot of great feedback early in the beta process about bugs and missing functionality in this feature, the Enpass team has apparently ignored all these issued, since the production release doesn't address any of them, including the next three bullet points below.

- The custom icon feature can't properly scale images at all. This was reported months ago, and it should be a pretty easy problem to fix. And yet, only images exactly 200x200 will display correctly as icons in Enpass.

- No. 3 might not be so bad, except that Enpass doesn't bother to tell the user that Custom Icons must be 200x200. Why not at least do this, as I suggested on 2018-12-09? This would take literally 10 seconds of coding.

1672624354_customicon200x200.png.817bb6eba4c6e845a65f2201ba024949.png.360cfb8702eae0c4a2861261add7562f.png

- Worse yet, it's impossible to remove icons from the Custom Icons gallery. So after you've tried several icon sizes before discovering the 200x200 restriction, you're stuck with those failed icons forever. Why isn't there a right-click > Remove?

- Full-window version of Enpass doesn't remember its position on screen (originally reported 2018-12-05)

1. Park your Dock on the right edge of the screen instead of the bottom
  2. Launch main window
  3. Hold down OPT while clicking the green "full screen" button in the red-yellow-green buttons across the top of the window (this make the window take up the whole screen, except for the Menu Bar and Dock)
  4. Quit Enpass
  5. Relaunch Enpass
  6. RESULT: Window is the correct size but it's moved to the right by 30-40px, so it's centered on the screen, which means it's partially underneath the right-edge-anchored Dock (This did not happen in build 220.)

- In Menu Bar UI (Enpass Assistant), mousing over sidebar icons (Home, Favorites, etc.) does not show what they do. Only clicking on them displays the description pop-over...

- After opening the Menu Bar UI, the only way to close it is to click somewhere else on the screen or use the ESC key (reported in the very first beta forum)

• Standard UX for Menu Bar items is that you should be able to close them via clicking the Menu Bar icon again

CMD+E from Enpass Assistant no longer launches main-window Enpass (reported in the very first beta forum)

• You now have to click the "hamburger" menu in the lower left corner of the dropdown
  • This was a feature in Enpass 5 that has been removed from Enpass 6 
  • There is now no way to open the full Enpass window with a keyboard shortcut

- The system-wide hotkey for Enpass Assistant is not adequately customizable (this was reported a couple months ago)

• The user should be able to chose the entire key combination, like every app that allow the creation of custom universal keyboard shortcuts.
  • Plus, CMD+OPT+[key] is a very common combination within other apps, so it's very likely that forcing Enpass users to use CMD+OPT+[key] will cause a conflict in other apps. Example: In Photoshop (at least in an older version I have), CMD+OPT+E is used to merge layers, so I can't use the intuitive CMD+OPT+E (for Enpass) as my shortcut.

- The universal keyboard shortcut opens the mini-window in the center of the screen

•  It should open anchored to the Menu Bar icon, just like it does when you click the Menu Bar icon

- When in the main window, if you CMD+H to hide, it closes the window instead of just hiding it (reported months ago)

• This means you have to go back to the Menu Bar, open the mini-window, re-select the Menu button, and choose Open Enpass again to get back to the main window. I'm glad CMD+W was fixed, but CMD+W and CMD+H are not meant to do the same thing.
  • THIS IS A MAJOR BUG AND COUNTER TO HOW THE HIDE FEATURE WORKS FOR LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MAC APP

- In the sidebar, if you hide Categories or Tags, when you reveal them again, the item counts are missing

- It's possible to create your own Categories, but it's a HUGE hassle to use them because templates aren't universal

• Every time you create your own category, it's impossible to then create any items within because there are no templates for the category.
  • Templates should be universal — or at least you should be able to start with the universal list of templates and rule OUT templates that don't belong in your new category.
  • Plus, having to duplicate templates for a new category just creates clutter.

- When creating a new item from your own custom template, the Add Title field should be blank, not already filled in with the name you gave the template

• I've created my own template called "(basic)" that I use for everything, but whenever I create a new item with that template, the Add Title field isn't blank. Instead it says "(basic)" and I have to click in that field and replace that text
  • (FYI, Anshu kumar said on 2018-10-11 that this would be fixed in the next build)

- Duplicate Item needs to be part of the contextual menu when you right-click on an item in the Items pane

• I know this can be found in the three-dots menu of the Item Details panel, but that's not as intuitive as right-clicking on the item you want to copy

- Tag fields do not recognize and offer to auto-fill existing tags (reported in the first beta forum)

• The upshot here is that users have to perfectly memorize every tag they've ever created:
  • If you've previously created a tag called "Shopping," then you're adding tags to an item and you type in just "Sho" Enpass should know and start to auto-fill "Shopping"
  • THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM: If tags don't offer to up existing tags, you can easily end up with Shop and ShoppingBills and Billing, Med and Medical, etc.

- It's impossible to scroll the sidebar when in Edit Item mode

• When in the Edit Item screen, everything else is grayed out and cannot be scrolled
  • This means if you need to see all your tags in the sidebar so you can type in the right ones for your new item, you have to remember to scroll down the sidebar before you start creating or editing an Item
  • This goes hand-in-hand with the Tag fields not offering auto-fill, because if you can't scroll the sidebar to see the names of all your tag, and there's no auto-fill for this field, you have to have every one of your tags perfectly memorized in order to add them to any new Item

- In Edit Mode, when scrolling through an Item that has a lot of data (i.e., there's a lot to scroll through), scrolling doesn't work properly unless you click and drag the scroll bar

• When two-finger scrolling on a trackpad, the panel "bounces" back to the top as your scroll. (See this screen recording — in the first half, I'm trying to two-finger scroll down (and failing), then I click and drag the scroll bar to actually get to the bottom, then I try to two-finger scroll back up (and fail that too).

- When adding tags to an Item, hitting [Tab] creates a new Tag field (so you can add additional tags), but does not select that new field

• If you hit [Enter] between tags, a new tag field is created and selected, so you can just type your new tag
  • But if you hit [Tab] between tags, a new field is created but not selected, so you then have to physically click that new field to type your next tag

- "Add to Vault" in the right-click menu and Item menu should be available even when in All Vaults

• It's not that intuitive to have to remember to go to the individual vault where that items lives in order to take this action (although I do understand the logic and that this may not be an easy thing to change)

- In the Vault Settings > Change Master Password field, it's not possible to move the cursor at all, either by clicking or by the arrow keys

• If you make a mistake in the password you're changing, the only way you can edit is by backspacing.

UNACKNOWLEDGED FEATURE REQUESTS

- Ability to choose your own Default template

• I have my own template I use for everything, the upshot of which is that it's impossible for me to use the Autosave feature in Enpass Assistant because it cannot use my template. So I'm stuck manually creating new entries for every site and service.

- Ability to delete templates

• There are dozens of templates I will literally never use. They get in the way of quickly accessing my custom templates

- When the browser extension offers to save login information on a new site, which template is used by default should be up to the user

• Enpass Assistant offering to save new logins is useless if the automatically-created item is in the wrong template

QUESTIONS THAT WERE NEVER ANSWERED

- We were told Enpass 6 was supposed to include the ability to choose the location in your cloud service where Enpass would store its walletx — but that does not appear to be the case. How do I do this?

- And where is the backup stored by default? Vault Settings shows "Last Synchronized 4 minutes ago" but Google Drive > Enpass > sync_default.walletx is 4 months old. Another vault syncing to a different Google Drive account doesn't have an Enpass folder at all.

AND OF COURSE...

- We were told that UI would be made more Mac-like and more user-friendly, but it never was...

• Broadly, the design of the app is too much like mobile for a desktop UI. Example: navigating the settings is a hassle. There's too much nesting of sub-sections. If the settings opened in their own window (like Enpass 5), they could be much more quickly navigated. Also, there are parts of the UI from which its impossible to reach the settings directly. For example, if you're in the Add Item sidebar, CMD+[comma] does not bring up the settings.
  • Having the "edit" icon (pencil) in the middle of the header is counter-intuitive. It should be on the "card" along with "favorite" and "more."
  • Editing any given Item should take place in the same part of the screen as viewing the item. Having a separate Edit UI roll out from the right is problematic because it becomes impossible to interact at all with the rest of the app. (As mentioned above, while editing it's impossible to scroll the sidebar to see your tags)
  • In the sidebar, if you mouseover the Categories header, you get a "..." that brings up an "Edit Categories," but if you mouseover the Tags header, you get a "+" that brings up an "Add tag" overlay. Instead Settings > Customize should include a Tags area where you can add, edit, hide, and delete tags — and the sidebar's Tags header should behave the same way as the Categories header. UI consistency.
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I've grown more and more frustrated and disappointed with the Enpass team's cherry-picking only questions they want to answer in the beta threads on these forums, and ignoring real concerns, usability issues and bugs. Now a production release has been announced, and there are a TON of problems that have gone ignored. A week ago I paid for the premium version of Enpass in good faith, on the assumption that the team would fix all these problems before releasing the app publicly, but instead they've released a buggy, incomplete product and have thus far largely ignored all of the following issues, and in some cases removed features instead of fixing them.

I distinctly remember having complained about the desktop UI, about the app having a hamburger menu instead of a menu bar, and you telling me yourself they would fix it, that it was just a beta and so on...

May I add: if you click an item that is near to the bottom of the screen, the context menu will have weird placement because it cannot be drawn outside the app window.

Through Twitter DMs, the Enpass team at @EnpassApp promised to refund the purchases of the app that I made in all three platforms. I sent them the receipts, as they requested, and I have yet to hear from them. Why? Because they are dishonest and untrustworthy!

Thanks for your thorough (as usual) posting @100 Watt Walrus I'm also disappointed in this "release" which in my mind is still a beta at best. I fully understand that a full revamp of a product is bound to have issues that take time to resolve over the course of additional point releases, but the now MIA favicon feature in the released version is a big disappointment. While it was buggy for sure, I can't help but feel that at least some of the broken functions could have been fixed before releasing it to the public.

To add to the list above, it was also reported back in November on a thread that deleting an Enpass item does not show a warning dialog, nor does it explain that the item will be moved to the Trash location. This is a poor UX as it is easy to accidentally delete entries and not even realize it in some cases, and not know where they ended up unless you go hunting for them. It was acknowledged by the developers, but it was never addressed, so the problem still exists in this public release. That seems like low hanging fruit to address, but it was apparently ignored or put on the back burner.

I hope development is listening and will address some of the bigger issues in the short term with a point release on the near horizon.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and we really appreciate the time and efforts you have put on helping us improving Enpass. @100 Watt Walrus we have noted every finding of yours as an improvement for coming releases. We want to deliver the best to our users, and believe me, it was really a challenge for all of us to release the first stable version of Enpass 6 over Enpass v5. The new core architecture with tons of improvements in security and design is itself a behemoth, and implementing it on all platforms successfully is remarkable for all of us here. With today's release, we have achieved the first milestone and there are more to go, but we believe that we would easily achieve all of them. All we just need your continuous support and love. I promise that the changes you have suggested are very next in the list and you will find them getting incorporated in coming releases very swiftly. 

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers

2 hours ago, phg said:

I distinctly remember having complained about the desktop UI, about the app having a hamburger menu instead of a menu bar, and you telling me yourself they would fix it, that it was just a beta and so on...

Yep. That's on me. I assumed the cosmetics and Mac-ification would happen after underlying framework issues were addressed. I was wrong.

1 hour ago, MM2270 said:

...deleting an Enpass item does not show a warning dialog, nor does it explain that the item will be moved to the Trash location. This is a poor UX...

I agree. Hard to recommend this app to less-savvy computer users (like my dad) when it's so easy to accidentally delete the password to your bank account.

1 hour ago, Hemant Kumar said:

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and we really appreciate the time and efforts you have put on helping us improving Enpass. @100 Watt Walrus we have noted every finding of yours as an improvement for coming releases. We want to deliver the best to our users, and believe me, it was really a challenge for all of us to release the first stable version of Enpass 6 over Enpass v5. The new core architecture with tons of improvements in security and design is itself a behemoth, and implementing it on all platforms successfully is remarkable for all of us here. With today's release, we have achieved the first milestone and there are more to go, but we believe that we would easily achieve all of them. All we just need your continuous support and love. I promise that the changes you have suggested are very next in the list and you will find them getting incorporated in coming releases very swiftly. 

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers

I probably should have said in my original post in this thread that this wouldn't be so bad if there had been some acknowledgment that the 6.0.0 release was going to be "the first milestone and there are more to go." It would have gone a long way to read post at the end of the last Beta thread announcing the status to those of us who have helped. I don't mean to belittle the Enpass team. I know you all are working hard. Rewriting software, almost from the ground up, should not be dismissed lightly. I really appreciate what your team is trying to achieve and, with the notable exception of seeming to abandon efforts to make the app Mac-like, I very much like where Enpass is headed.

The problem here isn't so much the issues that haven't been addressed yet. The problem is the poor communication from the Enpass team. For example: There has been no explanation for the removal of the favicon feature, and there was no heads-up about the new pricing structure. The people who have been QA-testing Enpass for free deserve a little insight into what's going on.

I'm not suggesting we should receive weekly summaries of your team meetings or anything, but there needed to be a summarizing final post in the build 250/279 thread before you shut it down.

This is what we got:

Hey guys,

The stable version of MAC and other platforms is out. For details, check out this blog post.

Thanks a lot for your support in squashing out the bugs and making it the most seamless Enpass update ever. We're closing this thread for further comments now. We love you.❤️

Cheers!

But this is what we needed:

Hey guys,

We're done with beta testing, and have released Enpass 6.0.0 to the public. It can be downloaded from our website or from the Mac App Store (that's the version you'll need if you're going Premium).

A few things you should know:

• This is 6.0.0, and does not address all the issues you've raised here, but it's stable, and we think it's ready for production.
  • Future updates will be coming, of course, and will address many of the fixes and improvements that we've noted from your testing.
  • The pricing structure has changed with this release. Each platform (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, will now have its own Premium level, which will cost $11.99, but right now it's only $5.99 for each. You can read about free vs. premium here [link].
  • [Also needed here is a description of what happens for people who have already paid]

Your help has been invaluable, and please feel free to use the forum to as questions and report bugs.

Thank you so much!

etc.

Also, a link to a roadmap of what's expected to be addressed in future releases would be nice too. This version of Enpass is not ready for everyday users. I was planning to put my whole family on Enpass, but I can't in its current state. The UX is not clear enough for someone like my 76-year-old dad. It would be nice to know how long it will be before it's ready for everyday users.

It seems to me that the reason for this lack of clear communication from the Enpass team isn't time or just not realizing what should be explained clearly. It seems to me the lack of clear communication was intentional. It seems like the Enpass team didn't want to take the heat for releasing a production version that has pretty significant known bugs, has promised functionality completely removed without explanation, and has been repriced without any advanced warning to the most loyal users. I may be wrong about that, and if so, I apologize. But the lack of communication on some very specific things leads me to this belief.

I, for one, would like to hear, "Yeah, guys, we blew it with the favicons. That did not go according to plan. We're going to fix it, but we really needed to get this app to the public ASAP. You can expect favicons to return within a few months. If you'd like to continue helping with beta versions of the software, you can sign up [here]."

BTW, I've emailed about this, but I became a paid user one week ago, in anticipation of the release of 6.0.0, wanting to commit and show my support. But now that the pricing and premium structure has changed, I've ended up paying $9.99 for nothing, and the version of Enpass 6 I've downloaded today is missing features I was using yesterday.

I'm willing to pay for premium on all my platforms, but I'd like back the $9.99 I wasted last week in the Google Play store.

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

The problem here isn't so much the issues that haven't been addressed yet. The problem is the poor communication from the Enpass team. For example: There has been no explanation for the removal of the favicon feature, and there was no heads-up about the new pricing structure. The people who have been QA-testing Enpass for free deserve a little insight into what's going on.

Apologies for the bad communication from our side. We will take care of this in future and try our best to keep the things clear as possible.

1 hour ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

It seems to me the lack of clear communication was intentional.

It was not intentional at all but we were just got so busy with the release and just overlooked a very important thing. Taken note of it to look for how to improve this in future.

16 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

Yep. That's on me. I assumed the cosmetics and Mac-ification would happen after underlying framework issues were addressed. I was wrong.

Not just Mac-ification but a desktop-ification. The app feels horrible to use on a Windows Desktop computer as well, because it was designed with a tablet UI paradigm. 

But they go to great lengths to not answer any of the point that I raised.

As I said before, I'm still waiting on their support issuing the refunds on all platforms as their twtter account @EnpassApp promised me via DMs, and so far I heard nothing from this company. Why? Because they are a dishonest and untrustworthy company that does not care about the quality of the products that they release. 

Edited by phg

2 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

It was not intentional at all but we were just got so busy with the release and just overlooked a very important thing. Taken note of it to look for how to improve this in future.

That's understandable. I work in software. I know how harried the development process can be, especially when you're in open beta, and especially when you're nearing the finish line.

• Like 1

Guys one question for me that I feel has not been answered. In the desktop Windows client one has to work hard to ensure the vaults are NOT stored within Onedrive as being in that location stops Onedrive syncing as the files are locked all the time. If one buys the 'professional store' version can those paths be changed to avoid the problem? I know prior store applications were less featured and these options were not present?

11 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

That's understandable. I work in software. I know how harried the development process can be, especially when you're in open beta, and especially when you're nearing the finish line.

The problem is not communication. The problem is releasing a bad desktop app which has a tablet UI and forcing customers to use it. 

And to everyone saying it is a good interface: Just right click something, or try to edit an entry, and see how the dialog is constrained to the main window size. See how all menus in the app are broken, because context menus cannot be drawn outside the main window. You know why things are like that? Because it is a user interface that is designed to only work well in tablets. 

In tablet, you only have one app showing at a time, which takes over the entire screen.

What the interface needs to be usable in dekstop computer is:

1. A menu bar

2. Native context menus, that can be drawn outside the app window. 

3. Settings and editing password entries should open in a new outside window, independent of the app size, and should be resizeable. 

4. Allow the user to change the app DPI i.e. make things smaller. 

Design is not just just how it looks, it's how it works.

They have released a tablet app, and then are dishonestly forcing every user on all platforms to use this version, otherwise sync with the mobile apps on iOS and Android will be broken. Mind you, these mobile apps were all paid for. 

And you, Mr. @100 Watt Walrus, are a fool for believing these dishonest developers.

This is plain and simple fraud. They should provide a way for users to downgrade on all platforms. 

Edited by phg
Added "constructive" criticism

On 12/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

[...]

- And where is the backup stored by default? Vault Settings shows "Last Synchronized 4 minutes ago" but Google Drive > Enpass > sync_default.walletx is 4 months old. Another vault syncing to a different Google Drive account doesn't have an Enpass folder at all.

[...]

Thanks for bringing all the stuff up, I am also not exactly happy with the final release. I lost all settings and somehow Android version got out of sync with the rest... but now it's solved.

At least I can answer your question:
The "Enpass" folder in Google Drive is from Enpass 5, Enpass v6 saves in the application space, which is not visible in your user folder structure.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I've grown more and more frustrated and disappointed with the Enpass team's cherry-picking only questions they want to answer in the beta threads on these forums, and ignoring real concerns, usability issues and bugs.

I totally agree with you. Except I've been testing only the iOS app until the release, but many bugs I submitted here, were just ignored and there was not even a short answer given. But it was a big surprise for me when I realized that the final version was published as the same unfixed and buggy beta version where I found some really critical issues.

At this point I'm really disappointed with Enpass' team and their treatment with their users who are really willing to help them making Enpass better. Please do not understand me wrong, I appreciate the work you've done but what I really cannot understand why the v6 have to be released this early without fixing a lot of really critical bugs. I mean, there wouldn't be that much critics even if you would have released the final version 1-2 month later but as a more stable one.

Since Friday I'm also a beta user :/ for the macOS Enpass app and yes, it is really a beta version as a lot of things are just not working properly (and I'm speaking of only the ordinary functions, not to mention some specific issues that @100 Watt Walrus has listed above). 

Edited by xarekate

On 12/29/2018 at 5:44 AM, phg said:

Not just Mac-ification but a desktop-ification. The app feels horrible to use on a Windows Desktop computer as well, because it was designed with a tablet UI paradigm. 

Did you ever use the V5 universal app? Personally, I thought that was awesome. A great implementation of UWP. Slick, simple, uncluttered and accessible - worked great on phone, tablet and PC (mouse). The new UI is not as accessible: Too much whitespace and/or objects are too small. Plus, it looks stone-age to me as a Windows user. Fluent design is awesomely beautiful ans accessible when used properly. "Accessibility" to me means: everybody (and i mean everybody!) understands how it works, how to use it, it is easy to read and operate.

The new UI has to accommodate too much new stuff and the black theme is full of dark grey on black.

Can you please read some accessibility guidelines? Apple, Google and Microsoft all have them and it seems you read none.

I also realize you are trying to make a UI that works on all platforms and therefore ought to be as generic as possible. But we all chose our platforms for a reason - last but not least how it looks and feels. So i understand that Apple users are frustrated with the user experience - but so am i as a Windows user. No offence to Android (i have two myself), but nothing feels consistent on those devices anyways, so Enpass' UI looks perfectly at home there.

Personally, I'd pay extra (platinum?) to get the real UWP / Fluent design back to Enpass. And by the looks of it, so would the Apple crowd.

4 hours ago, Damasta said:

I also realize you are trying to make a UI that works on all platforms and therefore ought to be as generic as possible. But we all chose our platforms for a reason

^ Yes, 100% this!

As others have already stated, Enpass 6 feels like it was designed for a mobile device and ported to the desktop. I chose to use a Mac for a reason, and I prefer my apps look like they were designed for my platform of choice, not ported from something else. Please consider making it more like a real Mac app. And I'm sure the same might apply to the Windows platform, but I don't use it so I don't know.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 10:27 AM, phg said:

The problem is not communication. The problem is releasing a bad desktop app which has a tablet UI and forcing customers to use it.

There's more than one problem. I agree that the Enpass team is crowbarring a mobile IU into their desktop app. I agree that's less than ideal, to put it mildly. At best, its a means to an end for getting the product out the door, and improvements will be made over time. At worst, it's flat-out lazy programming.

But the communication problem is that the Enpass team is not being frank with us about where Enpass 6 falls on that scale. In fact, they seem to be specifically avoiding answering that question, which leads me to believe the truth is closer to the latter. Having said that, I still prefer Enpass to the alternatives I've tried, even if the UI is as bad as it is right now. I hope these forums will help influence the Enpass team to do the right thing and build a proper UI for the desktop version, but it seems they don't intend to actually clear that up. So yes, the problem — or one of the problems — is communication.

They have released a tablet app, and then are dishonestly forcing every user on all platforms to use this version

I'm not sure how this qualifies as "dishonest." I don't like it either, but you disagreeing with their UI decisions is not even in the same wheelhouse as "dishonest."

Now, I believe at one point, on one of these threads, someone on the Enpass team did say the desktop UI would be brought more in line with Windows and Mac standards. One could color that statement as "dishonest," and perhaps that's what you mean — but it's not what you said.

And you, Mr. @100 Watt Walrus, are a fool for believing these dishonest developers.

This is plain and simple fraud. They should provide a way for users to downgrade on all platforms. 

Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain

I'm not sure how this rises to "fraud" — I think you're hyperbolizing out of frustration. But whatever the case, I don't understand what you're still doing here if you have this much distain for the new product. What are you getting out of this conversation? Wouldn't your time be better spent looking for alternative software?

As for downgrading, do you not have a backup somewhere of Enpass 5 that you could reinstall?

On 1/2/2019 at 8:49 AM, phg said:

If there are any improvements planned, to accommodate the UI better for the desktop, I think it is in the interests of the Enpass team to announce this to it's users publicly. 

I agree completely. I think the Enpass team should publish a roadmap. Half the posts in these forums would go away if we could all see where the issues we're reporting fall on the roadmap. We might not like what we see, but at least we'd know what to expect.

17 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

There's more than one problem. I agree that the Enpass team is crowbarring a mobile IU into their desktop app. I agree that's less than ideal, to put it mildly. At best, its a means to an end for getting the product out the door, and improvements will be made over time. At worst, it's flat-out lazy programming.

But the communication problem is that the Enpass team is not being frank with us about where Enpass 6 falls on that scale. In fact, they seem to be specifically avoiding answering that question, which leads me to believe the truth is closer to the latter. Having said that, I still prefer Enpass to the alternatives I've tried, even if the UI is as bad as it is right now. I hope these forums will help influence the Enpass team to do the right thing and build a proper UI for the desktop version, but it seems they don't intend to actually clear that up. So yes, the problem — or one of the problems — is communication.

I'm not sure how this qualifies as "dishonest." I don't like it either, but you disagreeing with their UI decisions is not even in the same wheelhouse as "dishonest."

Now, I believe at one point, on one of these threads, someone on the Enpass team did say the desktop UI would be brought more in line with Windows and Mac standards. One could color that statement as "dishonest," and perhaps that's what you mean — but it's not what you said.

Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain

I'm not sure how this rises to "fraud" — I think you're hyperbolizing out of frustration. But whatever the case, I don't understand what you're still doing here if you have this much distain for the new product. What are you getting out of this conversation? Wouldn't your time be better spent looking for alternative software?

As for downgrading, do you not have a backup somewhere of Enpass 5 that you could reinstall?

I was requesting that the Enpass team provide a way for users to downgrade. Especially in the platforms where they paid for the app.

In contact with the Enpass support in private, they ended up providing a way for me to downgrade, as well as the browser extensions, that they did not provide initially. Later, those were also provided in a public url. 

They also admitted that the list of complaints I made about the app were legitimate, and a fix was planned for the issues I listed, in the next few months. 

Some of my comments were hyperbolic made out of frustration with a essential product that I used daily and is now broken, due to how the redesign was coupled with the database format upgrade. 

Edited by phg

21 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

What do you mean by "the application space"? I have access to invisibles, so I'd really like to know where it is. 

Log into Google Drive in your browser > click the gear icon > then "Settings" > the "Manage Apps". Enpass v6 stores the data here in the private application data space. This is what broke my cross platform sync as my Mac was syncing to a file in my Google Drive and my phone was syncing directly to the private Drive application space -- causing the Enpass databases to diverge.

This said, ENPASS should allow people the OPTION to sync to either the private application space or to a file in drive (just like v5 did)

7 hours ago, phg said:

Some of my comments were hyperbolic made out of frustration with an essential product that I used daily and is now broken, due to how the redesign was coupled with the database format upgrade. 

I can definitely understand how that kind of frustration could lead to you ire with the new version and with the lack of straight answers from the Enpass team in these forums. I had only just discovered Enpass a couple weeks before 6b was available, so I'm not having to make the same kind of adjustment as you, and I'm not dealing with moving from a product that worked well for my needs to one that isn't up to the standard of the previous version. If I were, I'd probably be just as fed up as you are, and I can be a pretty damn noisy customer when I'm fed up. I really hope we all eventually get what we want and need out of the new version of Enpass. I'm really sorry you're dealing with an "improvement" that has crippled a product you previously liked. With as often as one uses passwords, it must be rage-inducing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingliam said:

Log into Google Drive in your browser > click the gear icon > then "Settings" > the "Manage Apps". Enpass v6 stores the data here in the private application data space. This is what broke my cross platform sync as my Mac was syncing to a file in my Google Drive and my phone was syncing directly to the private Drive application space -- causing the Enpass databases to diverge.

This said, ENPASS should allow people the OPTION to sync to either the private application space or to a file in drive (just like v5 did)

Oooohhh...that. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, that's confusing to me. I wish I understood it better. There are a lot of problems with Google's online tools making it difficult to find your way back to something you'd previously found. I wish there was a way within one's Google account to bookmark stuff you'd like to get back to — settings, a list of forums you've posted in, etc.