Enpass Discussion Forum

Need old version of chrome extension that works with Enpass 5.6

illogic-al

Title says it all. I need and old version of the chrome extension. My extension got auto-updated to version 6 which does not work with version 5.6.10 of the windows desktop client.I'm not interested in updating to version 6 because it removed the capability to do touchID logins on the mac.

I'm also not updating my android or iOS apps I paid for based on the rollout thus far as I don't know what other, unwanted changes will be coming in the future.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to start looking at another password manager, just as I did when 1Password made changes that were not in my (the end user's) best interest.

So I'm unable to use the extension since you guys  put the new one up. That doesn't work since I have not, and will not update to version 6. 

So it sounds like you need to add an Enpass Legacy extension so I can use the updated version. Since you had the Enpass Beta version up previously, I'm sure you can do that.

Alternatively, make sure the new extension works with the old version of Enpass please. 

8 hours ago, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi @illogic-al,

It is not possible to install Chrome extensions outside of chrome web store. You can download a Firefox extension from here.

Yet another lie by the sleazy Enpass developers. 

It is possible to install chrome extensions outside of the store, by loading it unpacked.

But it is also perfectly possible for you to provide the old version of the extension under Enpass Legacy and allow the users who will to update to the horrible v6 to keep using the version they want, that is compatible with the mobile app for which they have paid for. 

Edited by phg

No need to call out as a liar but please prepare a standalone extension for version 5 for Chrome or put it up as Legacy version on the store as suggested.

You pretty much broke the app one day all of a sudden and there's no way to get it back at the moment unless forcefully upgrading.

• Like 1

For everyone that hasn't switched yet and still needs access for chrome/vivaldi: https://www.crx4chrome.com/crx/130684/

Of course I can't guarantee that that is not tampered with somehow, so use at your own risk.

Keep in mind also, that this is still just a kludgey workaround. The extension will still be updated to the latest Enpass version automatically. So if Enpass cares about it's customers it will still need to provide an official, legacy extension for the chrome web store.

In the meantime, i have docker installed and am setting up my own bitwarden instance: https://help.bitwarden.com/article/install-on-premise/

Though bitwarden provides free, very reasonable hosting, I'm not relying on anyone else's infrastructure for my password management storage or sync.

Edited by illogic-al
  • Thanks 1

You said that loading an unpacked extension won't work and it doesn't.

Also using it from some random hosted site is absolutely no go when your entire list of password can be at risk. I want an official download please.

I like the offline nature of Enpass. I've tried Bitwarden and while it's good for what it does, having one online hack to get you screwed entirely wasn't the best practice in my opinion.

I don't understand but that some people will not want the newest version of a software and devs pretty much broke their daily process by just force upgrading on everyone. Now I have to copy and paste every single login everyday from desktop Enpass app.

Edited by wws

59 minutes ago, wws said:

You said that loading an unpacked extension won't work and it doesn't.

Also using it from some random hosted site is absolutely no go when your entire list of password can be at risk. I want an official download please.

I like the offline nature of Enpass. I've tried Bitwarden and while it's good for what it does, having one online hack to get you screwed entirely wasn't the best practice in my opinion.

I don't understand but that some people will not want the newest version of a software and devs pretty much broke their daily process by just force upgrading on everyone. Now I have to copy and paste every single login everyday from desktop Enpass app.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I'm in no way saying Bitwarden or the bootleg extension is right for everybody. 
Enpass should do the right thing as a company and put up the legacy extension. But for those of us who see things as a sign of things to come, and are comfortable running their own infrastructure I'm letting them know there are other options. 

The Pass passwordstore https://www.passwordstore.org is another cross-platform password manager that is open source and allows you to self host. After I get bitwarden set up, I will be testing between those two. The right combination of convenience and security, for me, will determine what I choose. Some will choose to stick with Enpass as long as they can have an extension that works. To each their own. I'm just trying to do what Enpass itself refuses to do. Offer a little support to those who do not want to be forced into upgrading. 

Hello.

Thanks for uploading it, however, as mentioned above, loading the unpacked version shows an error with websocket and cannot really be used.

And trying to use the extension leads to "Enpass Connection Error". I can see the port 10391 is open on the machine though.

I suppose it should go up on the Chrome Web Store as another extension.

It would also be nice if you'd keep the version 5 for iOS as well as a legacy app.

ws-error.png.daf3e79f67b6a3aaae3c8efe2804a629.png

I have the identical error when trying to roll back from Enpass 6.0.x installs to enpass_chrome-5.5.3 (unpacked in "Developer Mode").  I had uninstalled version 6.0.2, the extensions, and gone through the registry manually cleaning Enpass and Sinew software entries (and there are a TON of them).  

I noticed that the manifest.json file contains one very curious entry:     "version": "6.0.0.1",  I wonder if this line is trying to tell the extension to hook  up with the application version 6.0.0 in order to force an update to Enpass 6 when the roll-back version installed is actually 5.6.10.

Anyway, the developers' statement that it is not possible to rollback the Chrome extension version is true.  And since Enpass 6 and its extensions are virtually non-functional (at least they do not function CORRECTLY) you'll either have to run the desktop app, copy / paste from it to form / login pages in Chrome, OR get another password manager that actually works and has developers that are a little more serious in testing software before major releases and who have made sure there is a working rollback pathway BEFORE dumping the major release into the public domain.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:17 PM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi all,

Older version of Enpass is available here.

https://www.enpass.io/support/where-can-i-download-older-version-of-enpass/ 

Thanks. 

The old version of extension demands that I upgrade when I try to use it. You people need to give us the old version. My workflow has become dependent on Enpass and your asinine decision to upgrade to what is the equivalent of Window ME has completely destroyed my productivity.

• Like 2

My Post of Jan 5 is not entirely correct.   You CAN DOWNGRADE, but with caveats:

1. Windows 10 Edge Browser cannot be rolled back (you would have to do that through the Microsoft Store, and it is not equipped for roll-backs).
  2. You have to disable auto-update of the Enpass desktop application.
  3. You have to disable auto-update of browser extensions.  (I found a way to do that in Firefox, but not in Chrome) otherwise the browsers will update the extensions to 6.x.x and not be able to hook-up with the desktop application.

I've been running with the versions from the link posted by gargolito since about Jan 8.  Nice to have the old Enpass functionality back.

BTW, if you are in mind to rollback then perhaps you are also of the opinion that Sinew Software should withdraw the Enpass 6 releases to start the design, develop, test, release cycle over with a more organized, better managed development and test cycle (at least) before re-releasing v6 to beta testing.  If so, please at your vote to the thread, Please Withdraw Version 6 at

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm using Enpass version 5 (for multiple reasons) and I want to get and install browser extensions (for Safari, Firefox, etc).

While with desktop apps there's a link on your website to get previous releases, for browser extensions there's no such option.

Please provide as I cannot nor want to move to Enpass 6 yet.

Thanks.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:05 AM, mato said:

Hi,

I'm using Enpass version 5 (for multiple reasons) and I want to get and install browser extensions (for Safari, Firefox, etc).

While with desktop apps there's a link on your website to get previous releases, for browser extensions there's no such option.

Please provide as I cannot nor want to move to Enpass 6 yet.

Thanks.

You may not have scrolled low enough on the page for downloading older versions (https://www.enpass.io/support/where-can-i-download-older-version-of-enpass/)

There are listings for the rev 5.x versions of extensions for Firefox, Chrome and Safari.  As mentioned above, there is no way to rollback Edge since its extension comes exclusively from the Microsoft Store and they only support the "latest" version absent Sinew Software withdrawing Versions 6.x from release.