Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass v6 rollout - a collossal failure

LCW

Open my the Enpass app this morning in my Android phone (Moto X Pure, Android 7.0) so that I can login to my router to change a few settings. Found out the app was auto updated to v6 (I had auto-update turned on in Google Play). App looked great at first. Entered my master password and thought I would be good to go.  A few seconds into the app I was horrified that my passwords (100+) are missing. I saw this so called "Primary" vault with nothing in it.  I thought maybe I just need to setup the sync to my Onedrive account to retrieve my passwords. So I went ahead and setup the sync. The app crashed 3-4 times along the way (not a good sign). Neverheless, I was able to setup the link but my passwords are still missing. Frustration sets in. I opened the Enpass v6 user guide looking for answer. Nothing there.  So I went to this forum for help. Luckily there were already people here having similar question and issue.  There are instructions from Enpass on how to restore your password from v5 to v6. Instruction says to download the v5 wallet file from my OneDrive account into my local storage and perform a restore. I couldn't find the restore option on the "Primary" vault. So I proceeded to create a new vault and the restore option was then available. Selected my wallet file to be restored and Enpass asked for my master password. Entered my password thinking this was the end to my misery. Bad luck. Enpass crashed. Reopened the app and tried it again. Same result. I sent the crash log to Enpass after it crashed over and over again. I have opened a support ticket as well but it will be a while before I hear back. The app on my Win 10 PC was also auto-updated to v6. I tried to perform the restore there but ended with same result. The app crashed.

This is such a bad experience that prompted me to to share it here. Enpass is supposed to help me manage and protect my passwords. Turns out, it can also lock me out of my passwords.

Communication is glaringly missing here. Enpass has failed to communicate such a big change with v6 to its user base. Especially, the fact that v6 won't sync up passwords from the old version and we have to perform a restore in order to get our passwords into the new version.

PS: I was able to go back to Enpass v5 to get my passwords back. 

• Like 1

Even though I did not have the same problems, the upgrade was a very bad experience for me down the line as well. Since I am not so helpless in dealing with such problems, I was able to get everything right. But a normal user out there would not have gotten it to work. It started with the recovery of my vault from the Dropbox. He did not find the data on the desktop. It only worked on the desktop when I first set up the safe via the OnePlus 6T. Furthermore, I was not informed after the update of the Android app that all permissions for filling out must be set again. Again, a thing that is difficult to understand for the standard user without notice. Also, the explanations to the new pricing model are somewhat poor for existing users. Trimming existing functions is not a good way. I am happy to pay you the few euros, but not everyone thinks that way. Why do you spend your lifetime licenses? Is not sustainable for you ... I would like to give 10-20 euros a year.

I rarely ever comment on these kinds of forums re update problems, but the experience with this update was so piss-poor (and still is) that I decided to do so anyways.

I'm not even going to get into the details, but updating to v.6 required me to

1. reset my Windows 10 setup (rollback)
  2.  ignore frequent "error 400" messages
  3. figure out why Enpass didn't connect to my OneDrive account (my backups aren't in any default location)
  4. search endlessly for answers in fragmented help/support files/forums (it was pure chance that I found the answers)
  5. check if this update was actually legit !!! (I seriously doubted that at some point and thought Enpass must have gotten hacked)
  6. ...

Several hours later I've got the new version running and - (place drum roll here) - I find out I've got to pay for features I once had. I have yet to (re-)configure/(re-)install the Opera browser extension (what a pain in the neck) and I haven't even looked at the Android version yet.

My take? Many, many people who are not somewhat computer-savvy are going to pull their hair out over this one and I suspect that many people will consult outside help to get the update to work.

Now, if this were some random app, I wouldn't care, but for hours today, I thought I had - permanently - lost access to the most important information in my possession, bank account , credit card, payment services etc., PASSWORDS! 

I'm sorry, but what Enpass forced on its customers here (unsuspecting customers at that) is and was an absolute catastrophe!
Never again.
I'm out ... even if the functionality costs more elsewhere.
I've lost all trust (in a few hours)

Bye.

Edited by deus62
  • Like 3

Similiar issue here, the auto updated windows store version crashed during upgrade and could not import the v5 data. Same happened on my Android phone, auto updated and after that unable to access my password. Very bad!

I am now desparately looking for a v5 installer.

@Vinod Kumar - can you please publish the original version 5 enpass packages on the relevant stores asap. That way we can stick on v5 until the v6 upgrade problems are fixed. I have backups and an export (CSV inside an encrypted zip) from v5 because reading the reviews and comments here has, very sadly, brought me to conclude that your company cannot be trusted to safely take your customer base to a new major version. It must be frustrating to build a new version that you're all no doubt very proud of, only to have the upgrade process of getting there so poor and so difficult. Buy yourself some time with your loyal customers and give us the option of staying on v5 for a while and then we can try out your new work in v6 independently and see if it's worth paying you for the new features. I would not like to see enpass fail because of this upgrade fiasco. Make it right and do so quickly please!

Please reply to this with a list of locations where v5 can be found. Thank you.

• Like 2

This seems like an appropriate thread the air my grievances

Enpass 6 feels like a failure to me as well. My upgrade process wasn't as complicated as some of yours, but unfortunately sync between my Mac and phone is now broken. Syncing between devices is the most basic feature that a password manager must support and its completely not working now!

Also, lets talk about design for a minute.

The Mac app honestly looks really bad to me. The v5 version wasn't gorgeous, but it was very functional and it just worked. The v6 app feels like some weird port from some other OS AND --not to hurt someone's feelings -- but it feels like it was designed by a programmer. Windows sliding from the right feels super strange and overall the Mac app just feels really clunky now. Search is a lot slower, scrolling is less performant, and there is a lot more UI clutter that could have been better arranged.

The Android app doesn't fall fall from the tree. The app feels way less performant and the UI feels really cluttered now. v5 had a smooth clean Android app. v6 just feels clunky.

So here's what I'm hoping for:

The beauty of have a self cloud for password management is that technically we shouldn't be dependent on any external system. Is there any way for us to downgrade to v5? I don't need extra vaults, a dark theme, or any of the new features. I just want back the password manager that I loved. I only upgraded because the chrome app forced me to, but I would love to just stay permanently on v5.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings at Enpass as I know you guys have worked hard on this upgrade for a year and were probably really hoping the community would like it, but I just really want to keep using v5.

• Like 1

+1

As a long-time, very satisfied Enpass user, I'd like to echo the sentiments here. To be clear: I'm not upset that you made a major upgrade to V6, I'm upset HOW you did it.

Personally, I am tech savvy, so I was able to help myself and my partner to upgrade to V6. However, my partner had NO CHANCE at all to upgrade herself and had already started to panic (passwords missing, devices not syncing), when she asked for help. In short: the upgrade experience was catastrophic.

1. Because I loosely followed the beta program for V6, I remembered reading that V6 vaults aren't compatible with V5 and that the upgrade from V5 to V6 is a "one-way" operation with no backward compatibility to V5. I thought that was a beta-issue only and would be solved in the release. That incompatibility caused my and my partner's devices to literally break apart, because sync just stopped. No message, no error, no warning, no instructions, no announcements.
In our case, my partner lost a few passwords during the upgrade and broke sync between her devices. She had added new passwords to her Android V5 over the last couple of days. Then the upgrade automagically happened through Google Play. When she opened the new version, the passwords were imported to V6, breaking backward compat with V5 still on our Windows devices (no auto-upgrade on Windows!). So when she opened Enpass V5 on Windows, the new passwords were missing, because they didn't get moved to V6 on Windows yet. So as far as she could see, passwords were inconsistent at best or lost at worst.

2. We use Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Mobile and Android Oreo and Pie in our household. The upgrade experience was different for each platform. I realize you don't control the platforms, but could you at least have provided some clear upgrade guidance for each platform? Android upgraded itself, Windows 10 Pro didn't and had to upgraded/migrated manually, Windows 10 Mobile … just ended without comment.

3. At no time were we made aware of a coming upgrade and/or its consequences - much less an opt out. Microsoft is better at this, and that's saying something!

4. There is no obvious way to roll-back and recover from a failed upgrade. Really?! That is essential! Again, even Microsoft handles their Windows feature upgrades better - the roll-back actually works. If something goes wrong, users MUST be able to roll back.

Do you realize that some people have access to their ENTIRE DIGITAL LIVES stored in Enpass? Breaking that could literally ruin someone. Managing passwords and access is more critical than managing data - you have a bigger responsibility than Microsoft or Amazon, who run the world's cloud services.

What saved us was that we had all kinds of different platforms and each one failed differently, which luckily meant that at least one Enpass still worked, in order to get at our master passwords.

PLEASE DONT DO THAT AGAIN.

• Like 4

A total failure and destructive. 

Box sync removed without warning. I now have six local vaults all fragmenting away from a common truth.

allegedly will be replaced by 31st Jan. this is will result in 31 days of 6 vaults diverging. Completely destroying my data. 

Add to this the p—poor shared vault architecture and the whole thing is a fragmented disaster now. 

I hate 1Password but I’m going to have to go back to it. That is how bad this rollout has been for me. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, IndigoWhite said:

@Vinod Kumar - can you please publish the original version 5 enpass packages on the relevant stores asap. That way we can stick on v5 until the v6 upgrade problems are fixed. I have backups and an export (CSV inside an encrypted zip) from v5 because reading the reviews and comments here has, very sadly, brought me to conclude that your company cannot be trusted to safely take your customer base to a new major version. It must be frustrating to build a new version that you're all no doubt very proud of, only to have the upgrade process of getting there so poor and so difficult. Buy yourself some time with your loyal customers and give us the option of staying on v5 for a while and then we can try out your new work in v6 independently and see if it's worth paying you for the new features. I would not like to see enpass fail because of this upgrade fiasco. Make it right and do so quickly please!

Please reply to this with a list of locations where v5 can be found. Thank you.

You can download the previous versions of Enpass from this link - thanks to Enpass support for providing this directly to me.  Thought I'd share it wider on this thread. I've not managed to reinstate Autofill from Chrome though.. doesn't appear to be able to connect to the Enpass app via local websocket any more but atleast I now have 5.6.9 and can try out v6 in my own time.. just remember to turn off autoupdate until you're ready to take the plunge!

The multi-vault feature in v6 is something I'm looking forward to as I use Enpass for work and personal, so keeping those separated is a positive feature IMHO.

Dear Enpass, in your blog post "Introducing Enpass" you said "beloved Enpassians" would be "blowing you kisses". Do you read these forums? Why has there been no response to the multiple issues pointed out and complaints made:

• Misleading price policy: cancelling features in Enpass 6 which were purchased in Enpass 5 with a "lifetime license" (ex.: Windows Mobile sync)
  • Recharging for "Premium features" in Enpass 6 which were previously purchased in Enpass 5 /UWP with a "one time payment" (ex: Windows Hello)
  • Claiming that Enpass 6 and 5 are "completely different products" as the reason for new purchase price, and yet not letting us choose between them
  • Forced/automatic upgrade without asking permission and with almost no way to downgrade
  • No clear warning that the database from Enpass 5 would be overwritten and changed in Enpass 6, rendering it useless for those who find a way to reinstall Enpass 5

Those selling such high impact security software must be trustworthy themselves . . . you have lost that in my eyes. What do you plan to do to try and win it back?

• Like 1

I tried to open enpass this afternoon and it updated automatically to ver 6 sometime in the last few days. It now refuses to recognise my Master password. Not on my Samsung android phone neither on my desktop. This is an absolute disaster! How can an upgrade go so wrong that it locks you out of your own vault. Please sort this out urgently or post a way to get back to previous versions so at least we can get our data back. I also see on this forum that the so-called lifetime license now does not give you the same features as before! Lets then at least have a choice about the version we want to use. The previous version worked fine for me.

If anybody has a way to help me solve this mess then any help will be appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, Rod said:

If anybody has a way to help me solve this mess then any help will be appreciated. 

I had the same issue with one of my installation. The solution for me was: use the file from last backup or vault and use it as NEW vault - not trying to use the old installation. Even if this means you need to uninstall the old one and install fresh and then, instead of upgrade just open the old file.

Thanks for your comments. Could you please provide a little bit more info. Do I need to delete current installation and reinstall from play store? Where do I copy the old file to? I am reasonably IT ok but am not very familiar with the inside workings of enpass. Will my desktop version password then work? Or should I go back to version 5? If so do I need to also copy the vault file to a specific place? 

44 minutes ago, Rod said:

Thanks for your comments. Could you please provide a little bit more info. Do I need to delete current installation and reinstall from play store? Where do I copy the old file to? I am reasonably IT ok but am not very familiar with the inside workings of enpass. Will my desktop version password then work? Or should I go back to version 5? If so do I need to also copy the vault file to a specific place? 

just take the file with vault and put WHEREVER i.e. desktop or so

uninstall/install Enpass and during first run use "open the vault" (or so - I don't remember what is says exactly) and point to the file you stored

Then it shall accept the password

it worked on one of my comps - before that it was just not accepting the password