Enpass Discussion Forum

I want folders back!

Waira

Hello

As it was established, folders are gone. Mine WERE converted to tags, so I still have a kind of structure in my data, but when I want to create a new entry, I have to enter the tags manually! While it is possible, it *IS* *VERY* impracticable, and I am very disappointed. The folder structure was (at least for me) THE one distinctive feature that separated Enpass from other password managers, some of which are generally much better software, but none of them offered folder support (as far as I know).

In my opinion it was an unwise move, since the main usage mode of most, if not all password managers is quickly looking up on the cellphone (more often)  or quickly creating a new entry on the cellphone (a bit less often). Since I had a rather highly structured folder tree with up to 5 levels of depth, that means that now I have to

- enter all (up to five) tags

- enter them manually

- memorize them all, because there is no way for me to look up how exactly I have to write them (both on cellphone/iPad and on my PC)

- do all of this on the darn tiny cellphone keyboard without mistyping

Previously, I simply went to the folder of my choice and created a new entry as always. Straight and simple.

I guess that now the (container) XML files are a bit simplified, but the processes are more complicated.

What angers me additionally is that now there is a premium version, for which I have to pay (again), and the one feature I was still missing in Enpass (custom templates) is only present in the premium version. Six bucks for the PC, six for the mobile version, and again six for the Mac. I was promised a lifetime license when I bought it last time. The way I see it, the version 7 will be "gold" and will cost more money, version 8 "platinum" and will cost even more, the version 9 "vibranium" and so on.

I know that development costs money, but milking users was and stays an unpopular move, especially when the software loses important features. I'm already looking for an alternative which still offers support for a hierarchical structure. Any recommendations?

regards

Waira

Edited by Waira

Hi @Waira

Thanks for your feedback. Actually, the Tags are exactly like the folders and they are nested too. Also, you can tag an item while creating it.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, Waira said:

enter all (up to five) tags

- enter them manually

- memorize them all, because there is no way for me to look up how exactly I have to write them (both on cellphone/iPad and on my PC)

- do all of this on the darn tiny cellphone keyboard without mistyping

There is a bug in the current version which restricts you from using the same Tag name ever in other hierarchy of folders(like a:b:c and r:b:c) and we will fix it very soon. Also, you won't need to remember the tag as there will be a tag editor at the Edit page.

Previously, I simply went to the folder of my choice and created a new entry as always. Straight and simple.

You can still do this from the sidebar, under tags. Select the Tag and right click to create a new Subtag or browser the hierarchy. On the desktop just drag and drop the item there and on ipad you can still go into the tag from Groups->Tags and create a new tag or add any item inside the tag.

I know that development costs money, but milking users was and stays an unpopular move, especially when the software loses important features.

Please do not feel like this and we assure you to make it as smooth as you want in every respect. Please bear with us and feel free to share your feedback.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hemant Kumar said:

@Waira

Please do not feel like this and we assure you to make it as smooth as you want in every respect. Please bear with us and feel free to share your feedback.

A good company would have not monetized so much WITHOUT asking for their users' opinions first.  You strive on security yet you are starting to make all users feel insecure.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:45 AM, aljawaid said:

A good company would have not monetized so much WITHOUT asking for their users' opinions first.  You strive on security yet you are starting to make all users feel insecure.

You may have missed it, but the new version has been in beta for months, with a lot of users providing a lot feedback (look through these forums). Granted, there should have been a lot more work done before this release was made public. It's definitely not clean enough to be out of beta yet, and I don't know what led to that weird decision. But Enpass definitely asked for, and received, a lot of users' opinions first.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:31 AM, Hemant Kumar said:
On 12/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, Waira said:

- enter them manually

Also, you won't need to remember the tag as there will be a tag editor at the Edit page.

Hemant, you're missing the point of this one. As I've mentioned multiple times in the beta forums, the fields for adding tags need to offer auto-fill suggestions from existing tags. Currently users have to manually type in every tag IN FULL.This leads to mistakes, and those mistakes turn into multiple similar tags. This is especially true because it's impossible to scroll the sidebar while in editing mode, so it's very easy to end up in a situation where you're typing in the name of a tag that you can't even see in the sidebar. (BTW, it's even worse in mobile, where there's no sidebar at all, so you genuinely have to have memorized every single tag you've ever created because you have to type them out, in full, without anything to go on.)

I've ended up with the same tag, but slightly different, multiple times because of this. At one point I had a Utility tag, an Utilities tag, and a Utilties (misspelled) tag because Enpass offers ZERO assistance to the user when adding tags.

Adding auto-fill suggestions when typing in tags should be a very high priority for upcoming releases. Adding tags is a BIG pain in the butt right now.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:31 AM, Hemant Kumar said:
On 12/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, Waira said:

You can still do this from the sidebar, under tags. Select the Tag and right click to create a new Subtag or browser the hierarchy. On the desktop just drag and drop the item there and on ipad you can still go into the tag from Groups->Tags and create a new tag or add any item inside the tag.

You're also misunderstanding the problem here. I believe Waira is saying that in Enpass 6 it's impossible to click on a tag, then create a new item and have it already include that tag. In Enpass 5, if you were in your Utilities folder when you started a new item, that item would be created in your Utilities folder. In Enpass 6, if you're in your Utilities tag when you start a new item, it is not automatically tagged with the Utilities tag. This leads to the problem I describe above, where you're forced to manually type in the entire name of your tag, and get it exactly right, every...single...time you add a tag. That is inconvenient, a big hassle, and there's no reason it should be necessary.

For the record, I'm fine with tags — if they're well implemented and user-friendly. But in Enpass 6, they are most definitely not.

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like the new interface. The previous one was intuitive and clean, perfect, wonderful, but version 6 I'm going to uninstall it. Please, put on the web the last 5 version to be able to download it the many users that we are not happy with the new one.

I do not like the new interface. The previous one was intuitive and clean, perfect, wonderful, but version 6 I'm going to uninstall it. Please, put on the web the last 5 version to be able to download it the many users that we are not happy with the new one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 9:47 AM, Waira said:

As it was established, folders are gone. Mine WERE converted to tags, so I still have a kind of structure in my data, but when I want to create a new entry, I have to enter the tags manually! While it is possible, it *IS* *VERY* impracticable, and I am very disappointed. The folder structure was (at least for me) THE one distinctive feature that separated Enpass from other password managers, some of which are generally much better software, but none of them offered folder support (as far as I know).

Bitwarden has folder support. I'm not a big fan of version 6 either - and the support of Enpass is ridiculously slow in the last weeks.

Think about switching to Bitwarden, they make a great job. The only downfall is that they have no support for wear OS devices :-(

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2019 at 1:09 AM, margaret_madison said:

enter all up to five tags, enter them manually, memorize them all, because there is no way for me to look up how exactly I have to write them (both on cellphone/iPad and on my PC),

do all of this on the darn tiny cellphone keyboard without mistyping.

This is the only problem I'm having with tags. There's just no excuse for not having auto-complete on tags. Enpass 6 should never have come out of beta without this standard, basic, obvious feature. And the fact that it's been months since this was pointed out and it's still not fixed is one of the reasons that while I'm using Enpass (because I don't like any other password services), I cannot recommend it to anyone. Too many basic features (this, favicons, several others) are not only missing, but many of them have gone unaddressed by the developers in these forums.

• Like 1

The concept of the tags was not clear in the beginning of Enpass 6, if they had been called 'Folders' instead then there probably would not have been so much push back.  But they work fine as long as the user understands it is just like a folder structure and that new records should be created within a tag area so the tag path will be auto completed.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, margaret_madison said:

enter all up to five tags, enter them manually, memorize them all, because there is no way for me to look up how exactly I have to write them (both on cellphone/iPad and on my PC),

do all of this on the darn tiny cellphone keyboard without mistyping.

There is another way which helps.

Download the BlackBerry keyboard app, and use that instead of the default keyboard.

It has a nifty feature where it stores the last few copied texts, and from the icon on the keyboard, it lists the few recent clips. From there all you need to do is before you start a new record, or edit an existing one,  then when you need to remember a tag, just hit the clipboard icon above the keyboard, select the text you copied, and it will paste the text into the field. Of course you have to make sure the place you want to paste it to is selected.

I'm not sure if any other keyboards offer this functionality, but I know the BlackBerry keyboard is way better than the default Samsung one, even pie's keyboard isn't as good. I used to have BlackBerrys, and I still prefer them over the Samsungs, and while the Passport is IMO a far superior phone which even runs Android apps, not all run as smoothly, and I have a need for some specific apps that dtagon't run properly on the BlackBerry. Shame as it has features that are far superior, and some that Android, and even the icrap are only just introducing now. I have to laugh that the icrap likes to claim they invented things that others had years before.

I also use a clipboard manager, which offers the ability to save copied items, and they can be pasted wherever needed. But while I haven't tested it, I believe that it may not work in Enpass.

I was trying to do a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to do it with the keyboard open. Every time I swipe, the keyboard closes before it captures the screen.

I used to use Roboform on my PC, but it didn't work properly on my BlackBerry, so I looked for a good one written for BlackBerry 10, and I found Enpass was the perfect solution, even better than the BlackBerry native app. My only complaint aside from the loss of the folders, as discussed here, was that when I changed to a new phone, I had to pay for it again. It's not like I can afford to use two phones, even though I wish I could, and I believe that most people would retire their previous mobile phone when upgrading, so like most other apps, the license should carry to the new device, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Cheers,

Steven...