Enpass Discussion Forum

Unwillingly upgraded to Enpass 6, lost fingerprint recognition

Andymase

I'm in bad need of help here.

I relied on my fingerprint reader (Samsung Note 8) to access my Enpass, instead of the main password I forgot. With the upgrade, the fingerprint recognition disappeared, and now I can't access my stored passwords anymore. Please, tell me there is a workaround for this issue!!

Andrea

• Like 2

Like some others here I was using fingerprint authentication to access the app and because it has been so long since I needed my master password I cannot remember it. Even if I could I am seeing other posts here where people are saying their correctly typed password isn't working, so maybe I am typing it correctly as I would have no way of knowing. Because of this, this automatic "upgrade" is anything but for me as I've lost access to all of my passwords. 

I emailed support asking for an old APK to see if I could use my fingerprint by default in an older version but they responded with a generic "if you don't have your master password, you're out of luck" response. I have important notes and information in this app, so resetting is not an option for me. 

If an old APK wouldn't work then enpass needs to address this with an update to allow fingerprints to be used by default, because this is a major issue. I paid for enpass, and I have told many people about it. I've always supported the app so please don't leave me and other users stranded. 

• Like 2

I am in exactly the same boat. We either need to be able to access an older version where fingerprint access works or the new automatically updated version needs to have fingerprint access added ASAP so the account can be accessed. I too have purchased and recommended Enpass to others and have important information that I now can't access. 

• Like 2

I had this same issue. The migration between 5 and 6 was really bad. It lost all app settings, autofill (system setting) and fingerprint. While it's true that we should not forget the master password, you guys did a really poor job of transitioning between versions. It was a horrible experience for me.

I only noticed because I stopped getting autofill prompts. And when I checked app settings, autofill and finger print were all lost. And even the cloud sync was gone. I only recently upgraded Android to pro and these types of experiences really made me regret upgrading 

• Like 2

Same problem here. This answer is unacceptable, it is absolutely within the power of the development team to allow fingerprint usage after an update and not to force master password usage. I, for one, am a paying customer and not being informed of this transition beforehand when I could have taken steps to backup my data is negligent of Enpass and isn't the way you should treat your customers. The app needs to be updated to allow fingerprint usage from the top level instead of only the master password. 

• Like 2

@Nikhil Kumar agreed that I should have remembered my master password but blaming your customers is not a solution. You have consumers that rely on your product that you pulled the rug out from under. Are you going on record saying that the development team does not have it within their abilities to provide an update to allow fingerprint usage on the main login screen again thereby rectifying this problem?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nikhil Kumar said:

Hi @mike_w Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Fingerprint can be disabled for various reasons like an OS update, the addition of new fingerprint. Your master password is the only key to your Enpass data and we expect you to remember that.

Why are you blaming us for this? Are you telling me that multiple users complaining here on this thread just happened to update their OS or added a new fingerprint around the time we all updated to v6? Very unlikely. You're trying to redirect the blame. 

You are still ignoring the main complaint here. The app update CLEARS all the settings from the previous version. This should have been thoroughly tested or at least communicated to users. It's completely unacceptable

We as paying consumers expect stability from your product and we did not get that here.

I'm starting to see a trend in this support forum. You selectively answer some questions and ignore others. I for one, still have an unanswered question on a new topic. If this is how you guys treat paying customers, maybe it's time to speak with our wallets, request a refund and find a new service.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 4:09 PM, Nikhil Kumar said:

Hi @mike_w Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Fingerprint can be disabled for various reasons like an OS update, the addition of new fingerprint. Your master password is the only key to your Enpass data and we expect you to remember that.

This is not an answer. My fingerprint has been disabled for a unique and specific reason: because YOU removed it, even if I actually PAID for it, and without any previous warning!

I demand a patch that restores fingerprint scan as a means to access to my passwords.

• Like 1

Today I had the same experience. I have an unwanted upgrade with the lost of fingerprint.
Fortunately I remember the Master Password but:
This upgrade showed me, that I never can trust a company who makes mistakes with such big consequences and even worse, blames afterwards their customer.
In Switzerland we distinguish between companies who have customers and companies who have victims.
I immediately look for an other key program, has anybody an idea for an alternative program with easy data migration?
Thanks from Switzerland

• Like 1

Enpass team, your generic reply to many users to reset is not the one expected from a developer to paying customers. In case of an upgrade that may make your app obsolete to many users you should not have made the upgrade automatic. You should have mailed your paying users to make sure that the user knows how to handle prior to upgrading. However, since you are too abnoxious you took the lazy way. I will never touch any of apps and hope the app market will follow up.

• Like 1

Hooray
Today I tested some other password managers
I found severel good products and after some tests I decided for one of them.
The data migration was easy and after a short learning phase I had everything under control.
The synchronistaion between PC and Android worked the firts time.

Finally I must say, it's good enpass drove me out.
The new programm is easier to handle and more flexible
So I can say
By enpass

On 12/30/2018 at 3:55 PM, Andymase said:

I'm in bad need of help here.

I relied on my fingerprint reader (Samsung Note 8) to access my Enpass, instead of the main password I forgot. With the upgrade, the fingerprint recognition disappeared, and now I can't access my stored passwords anymore. Please, tell me there is a workaround for this issue!!

Andrea

as much as I hate the entire 6.0 upgrade but your request to "skip" master password (for ANY REASON) is RIDICULOUS - if anybody gives solution to "forgotten" master password then... 

you know

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zyghom said:

as much as I hate the entire 6.0 upgrade but your request to "skip" master password (for ANY REASON) is RIDICULOUS - if anybody gives solution to "forgotten" master password then... 

you know

Nobody here is asking for a backdoor to the master password though. We are saying we have authorized fingerprints on file that have been disabled by an update. We need another update to allow us to use these authorized prints.

• Like 1

Just now, mike_w said:

Nobody here is asking for a backdoor to the master password though. We are saying we have authorized fingerprints on file that have been disabled by an update. We need another update to allow us to use these authorized prints.

that is ok and what I like in new Enpass is: forced use of master password from time to time

so anyway, if finger print is not working you should use your master password 

forgetting it must mean: zero

otherwise... I already said it ;)

• Like 1