Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 6 - browser extension - filtering via url not exist as in enpass5, WHY?

When I press the key combination, instead of filling the username and password fields, the Assistant (I think that's what it's called) pops up and I have to search for the item, it does not find the match by itself. Now, it gets better: when I click the item, it auto-fills but instead of logging me in, the website opens another Window without logging me in! It happens in Safari in macOS and in Firefox on Windows. This happens when there is a URL match, and auto-fill for the same websites used to work just fine.

The browser extensions are updated. In fact, I can auto-fill the username and password fields using the extension button. It finds the matching item and auto-fills and logs me in properly.

Edited by Adam DZ
  • Like 1

Guys please in Enpass 5.x.x I always using browser extension that filter passwords on any website via URL.

But now when we have installed last version Enpass 6 from microsoft store, and again bought, so here when we click in browser enpass extension so here is filtering only "most used, name, time,.." but via url in saved password not.

Exist any method how this enable please?

Vinod,

I had the same issue in 6.0.0 and 6.0.1.  Enpass extensions in all browsers seem not to be aware of the active web page with login credentials which I open whereas in v 5.x.x extensions would pop open a window requiring me to enter my master password before it would release the browser window for further user interaction. If I then clicked on the Enpass icon in the browser menu / button bar, it would open an Enpass pan with the entry for the site on the active browser tab / page ready for auto-entry or for me to copy / paste individual fields. 

Version 6.0.x does not ask for a master password and seem oblivious to the fact that I opened a login page that has credentials stored in the Enpass "vault".  I click the Enpass extension icon (browser menu / button bar) and it opens a pane (with the misaligned low-res text bug displayed) asking for a master password.  When I enter it, the pane then shows the most frequently used entry instead of the entry for the site I on which I was active when I click the Enpass button.

OR on some occasions when I click the Enpass extension button it goes through the routine saying it cannot communicate with the main application, and have I enabled browser extensions which has been done multiple times.

It appears to me that communication between the extensions and their respective browsers became non-functional in v 6.0.x and communication between the desktop application and browser extensions became intermittent and unreliable.  Perhaps more debugging and investigation of these messaging / data passing "channels" is needed.

This release fixed the text display / display resolution issue.  However, 6.0.2 STILL does not recognize any sites for which it has stored data.  This occurs in any browser (Firefox, Chrome, Edge).  When on a page where I expect Enpass to open a window, request a master password, then show the "info" for the page it already has stored in its vault, nothing happens.  I have to manually invoke the extension, enter the master password, where I am presented with the "most often..." site then I have to type in a portion of the page URL to get the stored info for that page to appear in the Enpass pane. Or the " Enpass Assistant is unable to connect with the Enpass app" message appears.  (The later seems random, but frequent and I can't tell what steps would recreate it as it happens on different sites, sometimes on first access, sometimes on a subsequent access.)

The fact that this "dumbed down" behavior seems to be something no ones thinks is a problem makes me ask:  Is this a new design / feature / functionality that Enpass intends to keep?  If so, it may be time to find a  new password manager with browser plug-ins / extensions that actually have a true auto-fill functionality like versions of Enpass up to 6.0.0 used to have.

Ok, I think I found the issue.
I swear I looked through all the settings and did not find anything.  However, I just checked again and in the "Browser" settings there is a checkbox for "Match URL Hostnames".
This fixed the issue for me. 

So I guess it is just a new setting that is not on by default.  I think it should be, but at least we have a way of configuring it.

PepeCZ, wmc, and luisamumu can you confirm that you have this setting checked?

Hostname.png

On 1/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, ggedde said:

I swear I looked through all the settings and did not find anything.  However, I just checked again and in the "Browser" settings there is a checkbox for "Match URL Hostnames".

So I guess it is just a new setting that is not on by default.  I think it should be, but at least we have a way of configuring it.

Hostname.png

I didn't check this setting, but I can confirm that the browser autofilling somehow worked as it was working in enpass 5 after I checked this box. However I don't think it is the way it's supposed to be. It is designed for url matching for sub domains I think. Maybe by checking this setting it bypasses the bug. Also, item filtering by url in extension and main app still doesn't work.

I guess the it prevent from searching by url and other properties other than just item title. Auto-fill and manual filtering probably rely on searching so they don't work.

Edited by luisamumu

On 1/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, ggedde said:

Hostname.png

This fixed the problem for few sites, most still have the problem. On top that, now when I try to fill using the toolbar button it finds no matches. I disabled this setting so at least I can use the toolbar button to fill. I wish I could go back to Enpass 5, it worked great all the time.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi,

That function has not changed at all. Are trying to auto-fill with Global shortcut (as defined in Enpass General settings)? Is it a specific website or all of them?

Thanks.

All websites. The point is that version 5 worked fine but the version 6 does not regardless of the settings. 

Edited by Adam DZ

On 1/10/2019 at 9:07 AM, Adam DZ said:

I wish I could go back to Enpass 5, it worked great all the time.

You can.  On the downloads page there is a link near the bottom of the page to older versions.  You have to download the application, and the extensions separately.  You have to remove the Enpass 6 extensions from your browsers (NOTE: Special instructions for installing from .zip package in Chrome, no option to downgrade Edge).  In Firefox after removing the 6.0.x extension and installing the Firefox extension from the .xpi file you have to click the Enpass entry in the add-ons list, and disable auto-update or it will put the 6.0 extension back right away.  I haven't figured out how to disable auto-update of the extension in Chrome yet.  But I've been running with the "downgrade" to Enpass 5 for almost a week with no issues.

Enpass 6 uses a totally different format (and file location) to store your data, and AFAIK there is no utility to convert you data from an Enpass 6 to Enpass 5 format.  If you have added items since upgrading to 6, you would need to add them again when you "downgrade".  The most recent Enpass 5 compatible data file will appear in your documents\Enpass folder as walletx.db.backup.  It appears to be a file made when Enpass 6 initially gets installed.  Rename (a copy of, to be safe) the file to "walletx.db" and you have the most recent Enpass 5 data ready to go.

The next step should probably be to start looking for a PM from some other source.  It appears Sinew Software is not about to do the right thing - withdraw Enpass 6.0, re-work it properly from the ground up following proper software design, development and test processes before releasing back to beta testing.  So going forward it will just get buggier as more band-aids spit and bailing wire get applied trying to reactively respond to all the bug reports with little ad-hoc patches.

3 hours ago, wmc said:

You can.  On the downloads page there is a link near the bottom of the page to older versions.  You have to download the application, and the extensions separately.  You have to remove the Enpass 6 extensions from your browsers (NOTE: Special instructions for installing from .zip package in Chrome, no option to downgrade Edge).  In Firefox after removing the 6.0.x extension and installing the Firefox extension from the .xpi file you have to click the Enpass entry in the add-ons list, and disable auto-update or it will put the 6.0 extension back right away.  I haven't figured out how to disable auto-update of the extension in Chrome yet.  But I've been running with the "downgrade" to Enpass 5 for almost a week with no issues.

Enpass 6 uses a totally different format (and file location) to store your data, and AFAIK there is no utility to convert you data from an Enpass 6 to Enpass 5 format.  If you have added items since upgrading to 6, you would need to add them again when you "downgrade".  The most recent Enpass 5 compatible data file will appear in your documents\Enpass folder as walletx.db.backup.  It appears to be a file made when Enpass 6 initially gets installed.  Rename (a copy of, to be safe) the file to "walletx.db" and you have the most recent Enpass 5 data ready to go.

The next step should probably be to start looking for a PM from some other source.  It appears Sinew Software is not about to do the right thing - withdraw Enpass 6.0, re-work it properly from the ground up following proper software design, development and test processes before releasing back to beta testing.  So going forward it will just get buggier as more band-aids spit and bailing wire get applied trying to reactively respond to all the bug reports with little ad-hoc patches.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...