Enpass Discussion Forum

Allow Users to Create New Categories & Remove the Defaults

Twisted

Forcing users to pick from a short list of categories is frustrating. I don't think I will ever need to put passwords in a folder named password. I also would like to add a credit card to my finance folder, but cannot as you restrict the types of items that can be added to your predefined categories. It would be much simpler to allow users to create their own categories and add what passwords they would like to them.

Your current option of using a tag to organize your passwords is difficult, as you have to look back at what tags you have previously created to make sure you match the spelling exactly. There is no drop down list to choose from, so you constantly have to verify what tags you have previously setup.

Everyone organizes differently and allowing users to create their own categories would improve the overall app effectiveness.

Edited by Twisted

I would like one uniform experience from the app to the desktop. To simplify my request I asked to have all default categories removed from the application. They can change the pro features for the desktop applications to something besides creating your own categories. I think creating tags should be a pro feature for both, as that would add an extra layer of functionality, allowing you to organize deeper without having to create multiple vaults.

All other password managers allow you to create your own folders (categories) in their free versions and it should be a standard feature for Enpass.

Edited by Twisted

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, seyces said:

Demichve says that adding categories is already supported. I googled instructions for this but could not follow them. Is adding categories only available in a certain packages?

Hi,

In the desktop app to add a custom category or remove a default one:

Settings > Customize > Categories > Add Categories

Settings > Customize > Categories > Edit Categories (untick as required)

The same options do not appear to be available in the mobile app (speaking for Android), yes it would be nice to have the same functionality.  However, I am guessing most users will have access both mobile and desktop platforms, and creating multiple new categories and templates would, as far as I am concerned, be tedious on a mobile device.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:31 AM, Twisted said:

I would like one uniform experience from the app to the desktop. To simplify my request I asked to have all default categories removed from the application. They can change the pro features for the desktop applications to something besides creating your own categories. I think creating tags should be a pro feature for both, as that would add an extra layer of functionality, allowing you to organize deeper without having to create multiple vaults.

All other password managers allow you to create your own folders (categories) in their free versions and it should be a standard feature for Enpass.

Yes a uniform experience would be the ideal but that is not what is currently available, so we users have to work with what the Enpass platform currently provides in the way of features.  Yes I can imagine if you only work on mobile devices things may be frustrating, but if you have access to the desktop programme as well as the functionality is there.  As for removing categories completely this would, in my opinion be a backwards step as the majority of users are not going to want to have to start from scratch.  This would definitely apply several of my customers who are both well in to their seventies and are happy with grasping the basics, but designing new categories and templates would definitely have put them off.