Enpass Discussion Forum

Lifetime* License

TLL

*Lifetime License not valid for Windows mobile/UWP/modern customers

I bought the "Lifetime" License from the windows store because I wanted to support windows mobile and UWP development. I stuck with you when you abandoned mobile. I even stuck with you when you couldn't make browser autofill work in the UWP version because windows hello and dark theme DID work and they were more important to me. I only downloaded the version 6 beta because you told me it was going to replace my existing (unfixable) version.

Now that the official version 6 is here, it's pretty clear that my "Lifetime" license is completely worthless. You gave the app a new name, and now, if I want the "premium" features that I paid for once, I need to pay for them again by buying another "Lifetime" license. Perhaps you might want to let us know what you think "Lifetime" means...

I get it. the money grab is on. I'm sure I'll end up ponying up again. My concern, however, is for my "Lifetime" Android license. Am I going to have to re-purchase that sometime soon? Is the next major update going to be somehow incompatible with my current phone requiring yet another $12? Maybe you should just offer an annual subscription! That way you won't have to wait until the next update to get more money from me.

Yes, I'm being snarky, and for that I apologize. Its just frustrating to see features that I paid for taken away and then re-sold back to me as "premium".

this application is becoming a SCAM - seeing what developers did with latest version there is nothing else to say

sad but true

I hope we will not see tomorrow on all forums our passwords - you never know - once you catch someone on cheating you will never trust him (vide: "lifetime license" or "free Desktop version")

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TLL said:

Maybe you should just offer an annual subscription!

Agreed.  I'm probably not as upset as the OP, but, still, a simple subscription fee to fund ongoing operations is probably easier for everyone, including the developers, to operate under.  I'd pay, for example, USD 0.99 a month on Android, and then another USD 0.99 a month on iOS, just to rely on a solid, forward-thinking password manager year after year.

57 minutes ago, zyghom said:

this application is becoming a SCAM - seeing what developers did with latest version there is nothing else to say

sad but true

I hope we will not see tomorrow on all forums our passwords - you never know - once you catch someone on cheating you will never trust him (vide: "lifetime license" or "free Desktop version")

Unfortunately, after reading your other recent post, I have to disagree with your assessment of the situation. Their business model has always been "pay for each platform separately because we have separate development costs for each platform". That hasn't changed. I agree with it and have happily spent nearly $40 putting 2 users on 2 platforms each.

What has changed is now they're saying "We don't give a damn about your old license. Microsoft stuck it to us, so we're going to stick it to you and make you re-purchase these features".

42 minutes ago, Matt Miller said:

Agreed.  I'm probably not as upset as the OP, but, still, a simple subscription fee to fund ongoing operations is probably easier for everyone, including the developers, to operate under.  I'd pay, for example, USD 0.99 a month on Android, and then another USD 0.99 a month on iOS, just to rely on a solid, forward-thinking password manager year after year.

I hope you're being sarcastic, because I certainly was. The last thing I want to see is a subscription model. The idea that I could buy once and never have to worry about renewing to avoid losing access is what originally attracted me to Enpass. Unfortunately, that seems to no longer be the case...

• Like 1

I agree the current situation is not OK when it comes to Windows, especially for existing users.

But isn't this also caused by the Windows platform and therefore Microsoft?

I do not mind having to pay a little bit again, but I do not and will not use the Windows Store, it's not the standardized, default way to get apps on Windows, Microsoft themselves don't support it fully for their own apps. I do not use a Microsoft account to login to Windows and never will since I do not use the Windows store.

So I will never be able to use Enpass anymore on Windows. I WOULD LIKE TO PAY FOR ENPASS (AGAIN). 

How are we going to solve this? 

7 hours ago, TLL said:
8 hours ago, Matt Miller said:

... a simple subscription fee to fund ongoing operations ...

I hope you're being sarcastic ...

No, I was serious.  Sorry I missed your tone.  I see it now.

Anyway, my point is that the model of paying once and then forever getting an updated and secure piece of software seems to be a bait and switch by design.  How can software development be funded that way long-term?  I think that long term a project either needs to go open source and fend for itself it in the wild, or it needs a steady stream of income that doesn't rely on an endlessly-growing user base.

I purchased Enpass UWP with a "lifetime license" so I could use Windows Hello and sync with Windows Mobil.
The "lifetime license" lasted 23 months . . .

Enpass encouraged me to switch to the bridged version as an interim before Enpass 6 was released.
I did . . .

Enpass promised me as a former Enpass UWP user that I would not be disappointed when Enpass 6 was released and replaced the bridged version.
I believed Enpass . . .

Now Enpass 6 has replaced all previous versions of Enpass I installed from the Microsoft Store. Result:

• I no longer have access to Windows Hello which I had previously paid for in the UWP version without paying again for "premium" features.
  • I can no longer sync with the Enpass UWP version on my Windows Mobil device.

Conclusion: The very reasons I paid $10 for the UWP version have now been made void in the update to Enpass 6.

Enpass, you did not keep your promise. I am disappointed. I no longer trust you.

Edited by Terry
  • Like 3

Wake up, Enpass!! This is a valid complaint! You cannot deny that you've taken features that we paid for and hidden them behind a new paywall. 

Here's a suggestion:

Have Microsoft generate a stack of $5.99 redemption codes for you.

Release an e-mail or a webform that we can use to send you request and a .pdf copy of our original order details from our Microsoft account.

Assign an intern to review the requests and issue codes via reply e-mail.

You've already lost whatever revenue you were expecting from us. Do you really want to lose our trust and referrals?

• Like 1

OK! You win, I give up... This whole "shouting into the abyss" thing has been fun, but I need to get back to work, so I'm outta here! Peace!

P.S. For anyone who might be interested, I went ahead and switched to Myki. It works well with the way I use my phone, and it has a multi user management feature (for a monthly subscription). If it works as well as they say, I might roll it out for the whole staff.

Obviously, no one here actually read the EULA we all consented to when we installed Enpass: https://www.enpass.io/legal/, where it clearly says

"Maintenance, Updates and Pricing: It is the Company who will decide the timing and pricing of future updates for Software comprising of new features, improvements and bug fixes."

That is, btw., perfectly standard practice for most commercial software companies. "Lifetime license" is for Version 5. Version 6 is a new product, with a new license, that is subject to new Ts and Cs. Get over it, or just RTFM the next time.

That being said, the upgrade to V6 should have been optional (as it was on Windows), not forced (as on Android). I hope Sinew realizes that the forced Upgrade on some platforms effectively ended the lifetime license people had? Forcefully removing the lifetime licensed V5 product is VERY close to a breach of contract. Not offering a clear opt-out or orderly roll-back option is not ok. Microsoft tried that way back when they rolled out Windows 10 and got heavy flak for that. They've learned from their mistakes, now Sinew should, too.

Edited by Damasta
  • Like 1