Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 6.0 - List of constructive criticism (or just criticism)

Numline1

What's up everyone. So, I've just installed version 6 on all my devices. I understand it's a first release after major rewrite, although it's slightly shameful there are so many issues which could've been addressed in beta.

First of all - Folders. I'm not gonna join the "bRinG FOLdErs BaCK REEEEE" circlejerk. I honestly like the concept of tags. Assuming it's well implemented. Which it isn't. It took me at least 15 minutes to figure out how to use subtags. The "Parent tag:Sub tag:Secondary subtag" syntax is so random and un-intuitive I would've never guessed it, have there not been for previously converted subfolders, now subtags. I'd still be trying adding 3 separate tags for each level or just trying stuff like "Parent tag/Sub tag/Secondary subtag" or whatever. This issue however lies more deeply. Tag cloud is in no way supported by autocomplete. Simply adding suggestions like when I type "devel", it'd suggest tag "Development" would save the situation. You know, like tags work EVERYWHERE on the internet.  I have around 20 tags set up, each one had to be manually written in the input field. There's no freakin' drag'n'drop functionality to drop a single or multiple items to attach a tag. This really needs to be addressed.

Then there's a random list of bugs I've also encountered:

1) macOS - the app keeps randomly resizing to default window size (which is freakishly small)

2) the all items list (or any other list) keeps randomly refreshing. I have a suspicion this is related to syncing (I'm using WebDAV). I'm scrolling down the list of about 100 entries and the list randomly refreshes, returning back to the top of the list.This is on macOS too.

3) overall lack of drag'n'drop - this was summarized in the "tags" rant at the beginning of this post, but it just feels weird. I've trashed several of my entries by accident (used to "backspace" being an archive shortcut, not trash). I honestly thought "iz okay Numline1, you'll just select them all and drag and drop them into the archive folder". Well, fuck me, that's not happening. Some folders seem to be able to do drag and drop, but it's so random.

Now, just so I don't seem like "random bitchy internet user", I have to say, there are some bright sides. The new UI is lovely and a welcome change. The WebDAV sync with Nextcloud finally works (although it's sad we had to wait until next major release for that). The multiple vault feature is nice as well.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, I really hope some of this stuff gets fixed and improved in upcoming weeks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I get the random list refresh too - on Windows. Although in my case it is not quite random - it typically happens a few seconds after I've edited or added an entry. This can be very frustrating if I am making multiple changes to an entry, as after making the first change, not only does the list refresh but I lose focus on the entry I am trying to edit so I have to find and re-select it to make the next hange.

Like you I suspect it is webdav sync related.

I did report this behaviour during the beta test.

Like you I think Enpass 6 has potential but I think they rushed the release it isn't quite ready yet. I can understand the pressure to get a release out (it clearly has taken longer than originally anticipated) but it might have been better to have kept 5.6 and 6.0 as parallel supported versions and not pushed auto-updates until 6.1.

Matthew

Edited by mdovey

I'd really like to see a right-click cut/copy/paste menu in desktop Windows V6. I can kludge it with keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-V, etc.) but someone was asleep at the wheel there.

Also, the search function in desktop V6 doesn't search within an entry- it only searches titles, meaning the mobile apps actually have more functionality. 

Lastly, for those of us with Windows Mobile devices now stuck on v5.x forever, I really wish the V6 updates warned us that V6 and V5 were incompatible. I only discovered that after updating a half dozen Android and iOS devices that are difficult to roll back. Now I can no longer use Enpass on my Windows Mobile devices, and because of this, I'm contemplating switching to a different password manager unless you introduce a legacy compatibility mode that allows V6 to read/write V5 wallets.

I really, really regret the V6 upgrade, and would have set up all of my devices *not* to autoupdate if I had known.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KeePass already adopted their client to block passwords being synced in using ClipBoard History and Sync on newer Windows 10 Builds:

Added option 'Do not store data in the Windows clipboard history and the cloud clipboard' (the option is turned on by default; for entry clipboard commands in the main window).

It's a big security improvement and should be added as a default option to enpass as well.

after upgrading to 6.0 i've grown to really dislike the developers of this app, they could have been doing so many other things with their lifes yet they choose to pick a decent product and totally destroy it and lock us to Enpass 6... I got thousands of clients passwords in Enpass folders that I cannot export because no one takes JSON or TXT as import, i can't downgrade and i can't export CSV

Edited by Pedro Bat
grammar
  • Like 1

My personal criticism:

•  No password history
  •  Paid Windows Store version need to be paid again to get "Premium"
  •  Folders are gone
  •  Missing CSV export
  •  Search doesn't seem to work on all fields
  •  I don't like the new UX of the Windows desktop app...

Sadly after 4 years (I started using Enpass on march 2015) and two paid Enpass versions (Windows Store + Android) it's time to search for a new password manager...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GerardoF1975 said:

Sadly after 4 years (I started using Enpass on march 2015) and two paid Enpass versions (Windows Store + Android) it's time to search for a new password manager...

I am afraid I am in the same situation

so welcome to the club

someone already said in this forum: if they (developers) did NOT do anything with 5.x it would be MUCH better than what happened to and with version 6.x

eh...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, income said:

After upgrade to 6.0, i try to find another one to replace Enpass, just like it replace tag to folder. Sometimes i also want to write one by myself, however no time...

i switched from Enpass 6 to LastPass.

A friend switched to Safe in Cloud.

Can both recommend over Enpass 6. Much better

• Like 1

Just now, earl.grey said:

there is a lot of solutions better or worse than Enpass

do they however offer you iCloud, Google, WebDav, offline? or only hosted by the software authors?

Just now, earl.grey said:

did you manage to export the passwords with the folder/tags details?

i'm stuck with enpass because none of the exports carries that information and i have thousands of passwords organised that way, it's the most frustrating experience I ever with a software company

8 minutes ago, zyghom said:

there is a lot of solutions better or worse than Enpass

do they however offer you iCloud, Google, WebDav, offline? or only hosted by the software authors?

Safe in Cloud uses cloud sync and web dav, as well as offline.
LastPass offers cloud sync

7 minutes ago, Pedro Bat said:

did you manage to export the passwords with the folder/tags details?

i'm stuck with enpass because none of the exports carries that information and i have thousands of passwords organised that way, it's the most frustrating experience I ever with a software company

no i did not. since Enpass 6 is maximum bad.
i took another approach. I personally switched to LastPass. i installed the LastPass extension in my browser and then  deleted all my cookies. this way i was logged out of all accounts.
Now over the time, when i surf the web and log in into my 90% of my accounts, i am forced to insert my login details from Enpass. When i login, the LastPass Extension ist automatically picking up the login and stores it in their vault. With this approach i managed to migrate most of my logins within 2 weeks and not a big hassle. 

if you store notes, and attached files thats another story. then you are really locked in into Enpass.

Another missing feature from Enpass 5 (and i can´t believe that im saying this):

Enpass 6 does not have anymore a password generator within the desktop apps overview page. You need to "fake" create a login, move over to the password field and there is the "create Password" button. after creating the password, you have to discard the login card.

Enpass 5 just had the create password button on the overview page.

Edited by earl.grey

2 minutes ago, zyghom said:

on MacOS you can generate password without storing it - second icon from bottom

Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 14.30.53.jpg

you are showing the enpass browser extension. i dont speak about this. try to open the enpass MacOS app and try find this password generator button in the vault overview. it was there in Enpass 5. Was removed in Enpass 6

Edited by earl.grey

Im using Enpass 6 on Debian Linux and Android.  So far it has been working fine although it was an annoyance to have to login in and sync the cloud twice.  

Im sure the devs will iron out the bugs 

i appreciate they support Linux when most of the other pw managers do not.  

Edited by Gwen Prill