Enpass Discussion Forum

Location of database in Linux

Klaas Vaak

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, zyghom said:

confirmed on 18.04 ;-)

Got it.

I posted another question on the forum: having installed Enpass on another Linux machine but with access to the same folders as machine 1, how can I access the existing Enpass database folders?

Perhaps you know the answer too.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rodanne said:

Why do you want access to the data base files?  They can only be read by Enpass anyway.

I have Enpass installed on 2 OS'es that share the same Enpass folder, and settings in both Enpass versions are pointed to that folder for their data base. So one would expect that bothe versions can then access that data base and no synching is necessary. For some obscure reason they cannot/do not access that folder.

Ah, I see.  When you have Enpass on one device open and go to Settings > Auto Backups you will see the location of the Backups folder.  I'd suggest you check that the location is the same on both devices.  If not you can change the location with the button.  Also clicking on the location will take you directly to the Folder contents.

• Klaas Vaak changed the title to [SOLVED] Location of database in Linux
9 hours ago, Rodanne said:

Ah, I see.  When you have Enpass on one device open and go to Settings > Auto Backups you will see the location of the Backups folder.  I'd suggest you check that the location is the same on both devices.  If not you can change the location with the button.  Also clicking on the location will take you directly to the Folder contents.

I got that worked out - I forgot to amend the title with [SOLVED], that's done now.

What I am really after is by pointing Enpass in both device to the same folder to thus not have to sych. It seems that is not possible.

17 hours ago, xarekate said:

@Klaas Vaak

You just select folder sync when setting up your vault and define the path to your local folder. That’s it. No cloud needed. 

@xarekate Thanks for bringing the folder sync option to my attention. I did not see it because it is hidden in the cloud sync section. Anyway, I synched my folder, but Enpass still does not pick up the contents of the folder, even when, after synching, I exit and restart Enpass. Strange.

• Klaas Vaak changed the title to Location of database in Linux
9 minutes ago, xarekate said:

@Klaas Vaak Maybe you could describe your issue with more details? I don't quite get what exactly is not working with folder sync now.

@xarekate Right now the installed Enpass app is empty. I have a folder with the Enpass vault data in, it was created by Enpass on another machine. In the empty Enpass I have set the Data Location (tab Advanced) to that folder. Furthermore, following your reply above, I have set the vault to sync to that folder too (tab Vaults/Primary/section Synchronize). When I click on the Sync Now button, I would expect the empty Enpass to fill up with the data from the sync folder, but that does not happen: Enpass remains empty.

Edited by Klaas Vaak

@Klaas Vaak Ok, there is a lot of stuff and I'd clean it up. Maybe Enpass just can't handle it the right way if there are any files or folders that don't belong to a vault? At first I'd create a new folder outside of the main Enpass folder you mentioned above, setup the folder sync from scratch and testing with that new one. 

For me I decided to use the following structure (even though I'm using WebDAV sync, but it shouldn't be that different to folder sync):

Main "Enpass" folder => folders for each vault like Vault_1, Vault_2, Vault_3 etc. => in each vault there is another "Enpass" folder created automatically by Enpass app, where finally the appropriate "vault.enpassdbsync" file is stored; besides the vault folders I've created a "Backup" folder and store there my backups from my Mac that I'm more frequently using. On any other device I'm using the by default created backup folders.

P.S. While writing I thought about another possible issue. How does you path looks like? Do you use some uncommon characters or spaces? Somebody had trouble with the latest Enpass v6.0.3, using spaces in the path.

32 minutes ago, Klaas Vaak said:

I have set Enpass to sync to drive\Enpass\Enpass

But if you sync Enpass app to /Enpass/Enpass the appropriate vault file "vault.enpassdbsync" would be stored at the following location: /Enpass/Enpass/Enpass/vault.enpassdbsync

Because Enpass app creates another "Enpass" folder in your sync folder (at least for cloud syncing, but I think folder sync should work the same way).

Edited by xarekate