Enpass Discussion Forum

UI broken on HiDPI displays in v6 [NOT SOLVED]

ShikiByakko

Message added by Vinod Kumar

We are aware of an issue that causes broken font rendering in Enpass on Windows if your monitor's scaling factor is 125%,150%,175% or 225%. We have already submitted an update to Microsoft Store but unfortunately it is still in certification queue and taking longer than usual time ( weekend may be a cause). 

If you want the update earlier please PM me your store id ( will temporarily add you to update package flight). Alternatively, If you can manage, set your display scaling to 100% or 200% and restart Enpass.

Please do not upload screenshots of Enpass with your sensitive data.

Thanks for bearing with us. 

EDIT: AN UPDATE WITH FIX IS AVAILABLE ON STORE.

Having exactly the same problem.  I can't even read all of my information because words are doubled over it.  Everything out of whack.  Everything was working great until forced to update to V6.0.1.  Hoping for a solution from Enpass........I found the suggestion to update the drivers for Intel display on another forum topic;  successfully updated my drivers but it did nothing to help this problem.  

Edited by LOlsson
additional info

Agree. The fonts and text placement make Enpass desktop unusable.

The item shown starts with a G, but due to the misplacement it is displayed under E

Font renders horrible and disappear completely if you scroll down.

Window setting at 125%, but resetting everything to 100% and restarting the application does not change anything.

enpass.thumb.jpg.1d14874d8e36579b8e5eb70230765f0d.jpg

Edited by egeltje
clarification

I posted in another thread about this issue, and it does seem to absolutely be a High DPI Scaling issue in Windows 10.  Setting the scaling to my monitor to 100% and rebooting my computer, the UI looked just fine, and when I scaled everything back to 150%, and rebooted, the UI looked messed up again.

To fix it temporarily,

1. Open Task Manager and kill the "Enpass Password Manager" application running in the background.
  2. Scale your display to 100% in Display Settings
  3. Open Enpass
  4. Scale your display back to whatever scaling you had set previously.

This will only last for your current Windows session, but should make the application usable.

• Like 2

Just upgraded to v6.0.1 (239) and the text scaling is way off. When you navigate the menus the mouse pointer does align properly with the intended menu selection. The text is out of alignment within the enpass application screen. This problem didn't exist prior to the latest upgrade Do yo test before you push these things out ?!

PLEASE FIX the program is unusable !

• Like 1

I have the same problem - graphics (like Icons, windows, panes, menu backgrounds) scale but the text does not so that the text labels do not line up with either the graphics or UI controls. The text also looks very ragged / low-res.

Also, with 6.0.0, the browser extensions seemed to stop functioning: when I open a page with login info, Enpass does not pop a window up asking for my Master Password and I just operate the window as if Enpass doesn't exist.  Occasionally I can open the Enpass UI from the browser button / menu bar, but sometimes it goes through the routine like it can't find the underlying application OR that I have not enabled the browser extensions which I have on multiple occasions, entering the multi-digit code as requests.

For me the transition to 6.0.0 stopped Enpass browser extension from working, and now the 6.0.1 release has made it very difficult to control the desktop application and made some of the info impossible to read.

I am also still confused by this "Windows Modern" vs. "Windows (Store)" vs. "Desktop Windows PC".  Makes me wonder if I have the "wrong application and / or extension files installed.

Finally, I would like to know if there is a store of previous versions so I could go back to the last version of 5.x.x that was working perfectly before the update.  That is previous versions for a desktop, Windows 10 PC running Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

Edited by Vinod Kumar
Image removed as it contains personal info of customer

I was running Enpass traditional v6.0.0 and the user interface looked good.  An update reminder popped up so I did it.

Now my Enpass UI has poor quality text and the text does not line up with the icons in the middle pane.

I tried the steps that Gupta suggested but no change.

Running Win 10 Home on a 2560 x 1440 monitor.

EDIT 1/5/19:  Above was with Windows 10 Home scaling at 175%.  Just tried scaling at 100% and the problem persists.

Edited by skylark
Image removed as contains personal info of customer

+1 Since 6.0.1 (239) I'm seeing the exact same thing.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but as you can see from the attached screenshots, the problem occurs right from the first post-install screens.

I've only encountered this on one of my PCs; a Dell Latitude 7480 running Windows 10 1809 (17763.195), Intel HD Graphics 620 using driver 24.20.100.6286 and 150% text scaling. No problem on my other PC running same version of Enpass and Windows but with a nVidia GPU.

Enpass_2019-01-04_14-08-54.thumb.jpg.cb4dc94618cd9a267201242cb1ecb96f.jpgEnpass_2019-01-04_14-08-22.thumb.jpg.6effc562a2ebd1751fa37e52dce67f6a.jpgEnpass_2019-01-04_14-05-58.thumb.jpg.bb41b38cf1347294f8c69e1e496b2607.jpgEnpass_2019-01-04_14-11-28.thumb.jpg.a0ac2f19cc11940e9c94b8d01d086cf6.jpgEnpass_2019-01-04_14-11-03.thumb.jpg.2579de8ea51babf19d428d2bdd1ae435.jpg

Hello Enpass-Team,

I've recently upgraded to version 6 on my corporate PC. The machine is running on Win10. Sadly the Windows 10 Store is blocked in our company so I'm apparently stuck with the desktop-Version from your web site without the ability to use the pro-functions (which is very bad).

But the problem here is that I'm not able to get the latest update (6.0.1.239) which is available as of today. It is announced on application startup (see attached screenshot) but when I proceed to Install the update, the download never really starts but after a while displays the Message "No internet connection" (see attached screenshot). But this is not correct, as the update is found at application startup and also my Syncs to Internet are working correctly.

One more thing to mention: As the application was not able to make internet connection itself through our company proxy (NTLM), which by the way worked well in Versions 5.x, I had to set up a local proxy (Its px proxy for windows). Sync and update recognition work well with the local proxy specified in the application settings, but it seems that the download-procedure for the update is ignoring the proxy settings.

So is there a way to manually download and install the upgrade?

Currently the downloadable W32 setup package does not seem to have been updatet yet.

Thanks and kind regards!

Benni.

2019-01-04 06_54_23-Enpass_UpdateRecognition.png

2019-01-04 06_36_47-Enpass_NoInternet.png

Edited by Benni
typo

Hi all,

I am extremely sorry for trouble caused. Previous version(v5) only worked with at integer scales (100%, 200% etc.). We are struggling here to support non-integer scales (125%, 150% etc.) in v6 to match up with overall desktop experience . A fix update is in queue.

A temporary fix for now is:
Add a environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 and QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=1 (or 2 for 200% scale). To add follow these steps.

1. Search for Environment variable in search next to startup button.
2. Open Edit environment variable for your account.
3. Click New under User variables.
4. Enter QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR as Variable name
5. Enter 0 as Variable value and press ok.
6. Repeat step 3,4,5 for QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS and 1.
7  Restart Enpass.

• Like 2

Thanks for the workaround Vinod. I applied it successfully and could use the program again. Meanwhile the .240 update is installed as well and the environment variables could be removed. It still works fine.

One thing however about the .240 update. When it was installed the program asked me to setup a new vault or something. I was shown the option to choose a sync service. I quickly backed out of the program by pressing Ctrl+Q and started it again. Then the expected Master Password entry page was shown. Now I'm all good again. :)

Have a nice weekend!

1 hour ago, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi all,

I am extremely sorry for trouble caused. Previous version(v5) only worked with at integer scales (100%, 200% etc.). We are struggling here to support non-integer scales (125%, 150% etc.) in v6 to match up with overall desktop experience . A fix update is in queue.

A temporary fix for now is:
Add a environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 and QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=1 (or 2 for 200% scale). To add follow these steps.

1. Search for Environment variable in search next to startup button.
2. Open Edit environment variable for your account.
3. Click New under User variables.
4. Enter QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR as Variable name
5. Enter 0 as Variable value and press ok.
6. Repeat step 3,4,5 for QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS and 1.
7  Restart Enpass.

I will try what you say but I don't fully understand this. I have *never* used v5. I only recently started using enpass and went straight with the v6 beta as it supported Windows Hello. I have a 4K laptop screen (250% scaling) and a 4K external monitor (150% scaling) and both were working perfectly. So you did have v6 with no issues on high DPI at one point.