Enpass Discussion Forum

Using pre-existing Enpass database

Klaas Vaak

I used Enpass on 1 machine, and have now installed it on another one. I would like to use the database of the 1st machine, but have not found a way in the settings to do so. I use Enpass version 6 on both machines which are Linux.

Please advise.

Edited by Klaas Vaak

but what exactly is your issue? you don't know how to synchronise using cloud provider or what?

without a cloud it will be difficult to synchronise - you have quite number of options: google, Microsoft, webdav etc.

describe what exactly your problem is so we shall help you

Thanks for your reply.

In order to use the same database I have to synchronise the 2 machines via the cloud. Right?

But that's not what I want because those 2 machines are on the same machine. Confused? Let me explain.

I have Ubuntu in a virtual machine on my Windows host machine, and I also have Linux Mint in a VM on my Windows host machine. I have made a couple of Windows folders shareable with the VMs, and it is in 1 of those folders that the Enpass database is stored. The database was made with Ubuntu. Linux Mint has access to that folder too, as does Windows.

So, is there a possibility that both Linux Mint Enpass and Windows Enpass have access to that database, without having to synchronise via the cloud? I do not want to use synchronisation, and having 1 common folder with 1 common database is 1 way to avoid that. But is it possible???

Edited by Klaas Vaak

Enpass - unlike other password managers - is offering really great ways of using cloud including iCloud, webdav, OneDrive, google - in the worst case scenario you can use any of them if folder sharing is not there, provided your instances have access to internet

That may be so, but I don't like using synchronisation, esp. where passwords are concerned.

My point was not that folder sharing should be the system instead of synchronisation, but it should be a possibility in addition to synchronisation. Still, the devs have decided otherwise, so I'll have to make do with what there is, which in my case will probably mean manually copying the vault between there 3 machines.

7 minutes ago, zyghom said:

Enpass - unlike other password managers - is offering really great ways of using cloud including iCloud, webdav, OneDrive, google - in the worst case scenario you can use any of them if folder sharing is not there, provided your instances have access to internet

BTW, there is something fundamental I do not understand.

In the Advanced settings I have set the Data location for all 3 machines as the common folder with the vault, settings and backups that are in there. Still, Enpass in those machines does not pick up the vault and settings: why not?????