Enpass Discussion Forum

Hangs upon searching (6.0.3)

rburgst

since the last update from 6.0.0 to 6.0.3 I experience very slow response to searching in the main app.

I have 1819 elements in my database and when I search in the searchbox, it takes approx 5-10s for the results to appear. Also, using the browser plugin for firefox seems to have similar issues where it pops up the window but then (in case it doesnt auto present the correct entry) searching also seems to beachball for the same amount of time.

While 6.0.0 had other problems, this wasnt among them. IMHO this was introduced with 6.0.3.

• Like 1

I have this problem, too. Search in Enpass 5 wasn't exactly fast but now it's just painfully slow. I think the whole new Desktop app is not going in the right direction (feels clumsy and slow all around), but search really is a problem.

I love the concept of EnPass. I bought Premium for the Windows app the day it was released to support you guys (and I bought the iOS and Android apps before), but I will definitely have to start looking for a replacement if this doesn't get fixed. I love the fact that I can use a provider of my choosing to store my data. But this is all useless without a good UI (v5 used to be pretty good actually - I would go back if I could) and a fast search function. I mean there's indexes ... I just have ~ 750 items, so the results should be there instantly.

Agreed, this desperately needs some optimisation. I've got about 1,300 items in my Enpass 6 vault and it takes 4-6 seconds on iMac, which is way slower than it used to be. It's not helping that it does search as you type, which freezes the UI for a bit, then shows a spinner, before eventually catching up with the typing. You can't tell when it's searching, or what combination of letters it's actually searching for. So you type more letters, and when it finally shows you the first set of results, it notices the retyped letters, and starts searching for that phrase, which probably doesn't exist.

If you can't return as-you-type results in under 50ms on an entirely in-memory search, then you shouldn't be doing search-as-you-type, you should wait for a search click or press enter.

But you should be able to return as-you-type on such a small dataset.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the Same Problem. With macOS Mojave by 1787 Entry's. Also searching in my database takes between 20 - 25s. In that form its totally unusable. I cannot get a coffee, every time I try and search for a login. OnePassword does not have this problem. As already mentioned at rburgst, this must be remedied quickly. Otherwise I'll look for another PasswordManager. I can not work so fluently.

Edited by German

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I use Enpass 6.3.2 on OS X Catalina 10.15.2 and have been using Enpass for a while now.

If you are used to the performance of Alfred or 1Password on a 2017 Macbook Pro, the speed of the Enpass search is horrible. I have almost 1000 entries, which is really not much. Typing in a search phrase (it doesn't matter if I use the main window or the assistant), it feels very sluggy. The Enpass search is far away from being "responsive". It like Enpass a lot for its features and sync options, but have found myself searching again for an alternative as this performance situation is really annoying. I often have to wait seconds for the letters to appear in the search line! I hope this will be significantly improved in future versions.

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for the improvements in search performance, which is clearly visible in the latest 6.5.0 release for OS X. It is certainly not as fast as it could be, but development obviously goes in the right direction. Now search is not only functional, but also very much usable again!

• Like 1