Enpass Discussion Forum

Import failure and crashes

Franco27

I wanted to try Enpass (6.0.3), the traditional Windows version.    I am currently using Keepass to manage my passwords. 

1.  Since Keepass, current version 2.x.  I exported the XML file. 
2.  In Enpass, I clicked on import.    The import started but after a few seconds your software suddenly closed. 
This situation has occurred every time. 

Having previously tried Sticky Password, I used this same file to import my passwords.    I didn't have any problems and the import was a success.

I tried with the other file to import my passwords.  (CSV) 
1.  I export this file from Keepass. 
2.  In Enpass, I click on import. 

I choose Keepass and the CSV file.  Enpass cannot find any passwords to import.  

I opened the CSV file and it is not corrupted and is not empty. 

From Sticky Password, I exported the file requested for import into Enpass.    In Enpass, another import failure. 

My question is: is your software reliable?    I am very disappointed by these dysfunctions.

• Like 1

I probably faced the same problem.

I exported KeePass XML (2x.) by KeePass ver. 2.41 and tried to import it to Enpass ver. 6.0.4 for Win 10.

Enpass recognized the number of entries and popped up it.

After I pressed "Continue" button, Enpass crashed immediately and no entries were imported.

I sent some crash reports, so could you check it and fix this problem?

For the moment I am blocked I can't use your software because

I can't import my passwords at all. And given the large number of passwords I have added to KeePass I will not add them one by one in Enpass.

The repeated crashes when I try to import give you a very bad image.

I have the same issue with Keepass 2 XML Export and using Windows 7 as well as using MacOS Mojave.

Fortunately I could develop a workaround:

Delete the history of all your entries and the import will work.

It seems to me that the Enpass Import somehow crashes on every entry when the database export contains a non empty <history> section.

hello hasch2k08

"Delete the history of all your entries and the import will work." ---> I don't understand. When I try to import, there are no passwords registered in Enpass. (Enpass is empty.)

Other dysfunction, I noticed that the software became unstable after clicking on the button to select the file and before opening the Windows window to fetch the file (in the import settings). Frequently, but not every time, the software no longer responds (it is frozen)

With the file Keepass XML and file CSV, import into Enpass (6.0.4) still not working (crash with XML). I tried with a clone of Keepass, KeepassXC and its export file .CSV. and the import doesn't work in Enpass.

I solved this import problem with the password manager "Buttercup for Desktop". Besides to developers, you can add it to the list of supported password managers for import into Enpass. The Buttercup CSV file worked very well with the default settings of Enpass import.

Buttercup for Desktop uses the same database (*.kdbx) as Keepass. Then in Buttercup, you have to export a CSV file.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Franco27 said:

hello hasch2k08

"Delete the history of all your entries and the import will work." ---> I don't understand. When I try to import, there are no passwords registered in Enpass. (Enpass is empty.)

Other dysfunction, I noticed that the software became unstable after clicking on the button to select the file and before opening the Windows window to fetch the file (in the import settings). Frequently, but not every time, the software no longer responds (it is frozen)

With the file Keepass XML and file CSV, import into Enpass (6.0.4) still not working (crash with XML). I tried with a clone of Keepass, KeepassXC and its export file .CSV. and the import doesn't work in Enpass.

I solved this import problem with the password manager "Buttercup for Desktop". Besides to developers, you can add it to the list of supported password managers for import into Enpass. The Buttercup CSV file worked very well with the default settings of Enpass import.

Buttercup for Desktop uses the same database (*.kdbx) as Keepass. Then in Buttercup, you have to export a CSV file.

I am really sorry that I did not explain this properly.

What I meant was, that you have to delete your password history in Keepass before you make the export to the XML file. I think the problem is that the Enpass XML Parser or the import in general has a problem if the XML File contains any form of password/login history.

I came to this conclusion because I recognized that after the crash Enpass has imported some of my passwords. I tried several times and  the result kept the same, every time the same passwords were imported. So I assumed that a particular login/entry caused the crash. I analysed the Keepass Export XML file, deleted and altered some entries and came to the conclusion that any form of history for an entry caused Enpass to crash during the import of the XML file.

Fortunately Keepass has the feature to delete the history of entries. Some of you might need this history, but for me it was not necessary and so this workaround worked perfectly fine for me.

Edited by hasch2k08

Sorry to say: I tested now on about 10 different Windows 10(x64) PC's. The Import function of this program (V6.0.6) seems to be really buggy. And as i can see here in this forum there is no progress within the updates. We are talking 'bout a passwort-manager that should be designed to supersafe sensitive data. A program for this purpose from my point of view has to be super-stable
I won't rely on this program and wil go on using Keepass that - even it it is not a Microsoft(certified?) App works stable and reliable for years 
Badly disappointed

• Like 1