Enpass Discussion Forum

Launchd repeats strange message

kingfisher

Hi, enpass on macOS works for me, but in system.log every 10 seconds this message appears:

[...]

Feb 23 16:35:53 username com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher[27619]): LaunchServices returned a bundle URL that does not match with the LoginItem's known association.
Feb 23 16:35:53 username com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher[27619]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78
Feb 23 16:35:53 username com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

[...]

Any idea?

Using latest versions for macOS and Enpass.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happening for me with the latest versions of both Enpass (6.1.2) and macOS (10.14.6). Most easily spotted by selecting "system.log" in Console when running as an administrator:

Aug 19 17:10:03 REDACTED com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher[39450]): LaunchServices returned a bundle URL that does not match with the LoginItem's known association.
Aug 19 17:10:03 REDACTED com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher[39450]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78
Aug 19 17:10:03 REDACTED com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a couple of workarounds and a probable diagnosis of the problem.

For the first workaround, type "launchctl remove in.sinew.Enpass-Launcher" in a Terminal after logging in. (Note: no "sudo"; this is a launch agent, not a launch daemon.) You will need to do this every time you log in, for each account which has ever run Enpass.

The second workaround is more permanent but requires Apple's developer tools and a good technical knowledge. Nobody who doesn't understand all the steps here or who lacks knowledge of Unix administration should attempt it, and attempt it at your own risk. Edit a copy of the plist at /var/db/com.apple.xpc.launchd/loginitems.<uid>.plist, where <uid> is the UID of the account, to remove the two entries for the Enpass Launcher. As root, ensure it has the correct ownership and permissions, and atomically rename it over the original version using mv. Reboot. Login and run Enpass. Now look at that plist and notice the change! Note that Enpass doesn't honour its own setting to "start on system startup" (I guess you meant "on login") and always starts anyway - another bug, by the look of it.

It appears the Enpass app's bundle ID changed from in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop in version 5 to in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop.App in version 6. My guess is the problem only appears for accounts which previously ran Enpass 5. The bad plist uses the old bundle ID.

This bug is more serious than it first appears. It is causing a new process to be created every 10 seconds, with the associated page file activity, and therefore probably also writing quite a lot to the SSD in addition to the log file itself.

Edited by lemonjuice
incorrect path name